Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Lentech install with pics

13K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Focusnewb 
#1 · (Edited)
This is yout transmission pan. If this object is foreign to you, please put away the tools!

Next, loosen all of the bolts, then remove all but the front corners. This allows the trans. fluid to run into the pan and drip into the collection pan. No mess.

Remove your fluid temp sensor (seen hanging by the yellow wires), and your filter. At this time it would be good to make a wire color schematic for the install of the new VB.

Open your Lentech box and check out your new VB

If you haven't already, NOW would be the time for the schematic! Unbolt the center bolt holding on your ground strap. The GS is the blue and green eyelets in the middle of the VB. Then loosen and remove the 13 bolts holding the VB in place. When the VB drops down, make note of the pawl on the backside of the VB and it's location. You'll need to reinsert the pawl into the forks when you install the new VB. Also, be aware that two pistons will drop down from the underside of the VB as you lower it. They appear to be slightly differing bore sizes so ither than noting their location and that the pistons face down you will be fine.

Compare your OEM VB (right) with your new VB

Clean your pan of all olf gasket material, fluid, and any foreign debris. If you want the RTV sealer to cure for a bit before you install the pan, now would be a good time to lay a bead on the pan and set it aside.

Clean the mating surface of your trans case as well. I used a copper "toothbrush" so I didn't mar the aluminum surfaces. If you look between the dipstick marker (yellow) and the manual shift rod you will see the fork where the pawl needs to go as described previously.

These are the pistons that drop down when you lower the VB. As you can see, one set of springs is smaller than the other. The thinner set of springs are the neutral/drive springs and go into the bore closest to the center. The second set of springs/piston are your 1-2 shift piston/spring set and go into the bore closer to the outside corner.

OK, here's the FUN part! Insert the springs/pistons, align the VB, AND start a bolt at the same time. After you start a second bolt you can relax for a bit and let the blood come back to your arms. The reinstall the remaining 11 bolts.

Reinstall your wiring according to your schematic. Install your filter and temp sensor.

Install your pan, using RTV as a sealer. As far as I know, there are no gaskets for the pan. I have had mine off over 10 times and never had a problem using RTV. Let the RTV cure for a bit, then fill her up and go for a ride.

it's really easy to do. It took me about 2.0 hours to do, including the pictures. Be prepared with RTV, a copper "toothbrush" to clean the aluminum mating surfaces, and a 10mm socket/wrench and you're on your way. Mercon V is the recommended trans fluid. The torque for the VB is 80 INCH pounds, and the pan is at 62 INCH pounds. ENJOY!

See less See more
#27 ·
Nah, the price appears similar (right at $399 from Ford) for the valve body and I can supposedly just pop over to Ricart or Jegs to buy one (or special order) if it is made by Lentech, (I'm guessing it is from the picture alone but I could believe FR would "rebadge" a Lentech)

BUT, having a knowledgable tech on the end of a phone line is worth the cost of shipping in my book (which seems to be the only one I read......). [thumb]

#28 ·
wow thanks for the awesome write up. i will definitely refer back to this when I upgrade down the road. Very nice job. Now to start saving $$$

#30 ·
He may not see your gratitude since he hasn't been around in over a year.....

#32 ·
They run around $700 last time I looked.

My amateur analysis is that what a valve body does is pump the transmission fluid to control the clutches in the ATX. The improved valve body will pump the fluid at a higher pressure and give you firmer shifts. This will compensate somewhat for the slippage that can come from increasing your motor's torque.

You can get a similar effect by adjusting this through your ECU as with a chip flasher but in my experience it only lasts a short time until the ECU adjusts to your driving habits.

#34 ·
Good catch.....either I was remembering the price of the one with the trans brake or prices have come WAY down since I was looking at these a year or two ago.....[thumb]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.