Focus Fanatics Forum banner

the tach you never new you had!

40K views 80 replies 53 participants last post by  .2001.focus. 
#1 ·
here is some directions on getting a tach on that non tach guage cluster(spi).

How To Do It!
1) Insert Key (do not turn it)
2) Press and hold the Trip-Meter Reset Button
3) While holding the reset button, start your car and continue holding the button.
4) Within 10 seconds, the display should change to "test" (written in a silly LCD font) and the needles will go nuts. No biggie. Release the Button.
5) Pressing the button will now cycle through some 15 different modes.

It's worth me mentioning that this diagnostic mode is no substitute for taking your car in for service. Many codes found in this mode mean absolutely nothing without other, expensive test equipment at the dealership.

Breakdown of some of the functions:
1 Press - Shows a Gauge Sweep
2 Presses - shows all 8's on the LCD (LCD TEST)
3 Presses - illuminates all the bulbs on the dash
4 Presses - displays hexadecimal value for ROM level
5 Presses - Displays the hexadecimal value for EE level
6 Presses - Shows DTC Troubleshooting Codes (Nothing to worry about though)
7 Presses - DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER - MPH
8 Presses - DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER - KPH
10 Presses - DIGITAL TACHOMETER

See less See more
#28 ·
This is a very unique Mod, I did notice that some of you said it doesn't stay on. Well I was showing one of my fellow SPi's and his was stick and I forgot it wasn't in neutral and stalled it. But it didn't reset back to the miles. So I think if you have the dignity to stall when your done driving, you don't have to go through the steps every time.

#37 ·
Has anyobdy cracked open the case of either of these instrument clusters? I have ordered a cluster with a tach, and i'm going to attempt to do a partial guts swap on these instrument cluster. I would call it a brain transplant. I'm extensively trained in the displine of electronics repair. Hopefully, the transplant will work, if not I'm just going to go to the dept. of transportation and get my mileage documented before I trade clusters.

#38 ·
Tried it, sorry. The l.e.d.'s and the little screen and junk are in different spots. So if you intended on putting the big motherboard lookin' thing from your current odometer to a new one, it's a no go.

#39 ·
crap, I was hoping that was a memory chip or something of that nature that I could remove then replace in the new cluster. as far as my memory of my electronics education go, if I could do that then the cluster's computer, or whatever controls the display, would read the actual mileage of the car.

#41 ·
Or you could have a ZETEC with a tach.

/ducks.

#43 ·
Awesome thread guys- thats a goood look for all the members. My problem is I can't find a crashed Focus! Also, how hard is a Gauge swap? What's this talk of resetting the needles to certain spots? I dont want to get in there and find out its beyond what I was prepared to do.

#44 ·
I did an aftermarket gauge swap, and changed the spedo needle 10mph
when i am going 55, my frieds think i am going 65. lol
They always ask why my car wil do 35mph in first gear.
cool

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.