SWAB MOD update - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2004, 08:15 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10927
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 johngyver Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SWAB MOD update

I just redone the SWAB MOD to the 90 degree angle. I just got back from the test ride and here are the initial results;

1) First I have to say that the original SWAB setting made my car a gas hog! I do a great deal of driving which ot was easy to see the difference in gas consumption.

2) The car off the line seemed to lose (slightly) on the launch. (If you want to call this a launch considering it is an SPI 4 banger!) There seems to be a little slower ramp up of power. It is far better than stock though!

3) The car picks up pace quickly while driving. Stomping on the gas while driving at around 25 MPH to about 45 MPH the car jumps quickly! It ramps up extremely quick! BUT As you know the top end is pretty weak with the SPI, so once you reach peak power you better let that Mustang you are racing go! Make it look like you "let him win" by letting off the throttle early!

4) I have a 2002 sedan with intake, Iridium plugs, Ractive wires and the SWAB MOD. I don't even have the cat-back yet. I have 17" Kazera rims too!

Waterboy - This is an awesome MOD! Thanks! I strongly suggest this MOD coupled to the basics.... intake, plugs, wires, exhaust, TB, pullies. You know how the SPI seems sluggish when you step on the gas! Do the SWAB and your worries will be over! (Get an intake too!)

What I did to hold the actuator at 90 degrees - I took a radio backstrap (which is a piece of flat metal strap with holes in it, you can get one from any radio shop for about a buck) and placed one of the holes on the lower of the two round poles that are part of the actuator arm. I bent the bracket to allow the back strap to slide over the lower actuator pole and the lower bolt hole of the control unit. I put the bolt in and tightened the bolt down to hold the actuator arm in place. I used the top bolt hole and some small washers (about 4 of them) to hold the electronic module. The one top bolt holds it fine. What is nice is that this can be 100% reversed if you need to do so. Anyway, this is what I did with limited resouces in the cold. I am sure we could find a dozen ways to hold the arm at 90 degrees!

Has anyone else modified the SWAB MOD yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Yes I did and trust me your brain thinks better in the cold than mine I have two wire ties one top and one bottom and that holds it center. I did mine after work about 11:00pm but ya know.
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2004, 02:09 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4909
What I Drive: '06 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 NIR Panther Jedi Good Standing Member
lol, focusin I pretty much did what you did, just put a zip tie on there and i was done..You said you also put another one on the bottom, does that make it more centered or what? because my sits closed but just barely, probably not enough to notice a difference in anything...
<Team Duratec #49>

CAI, Custom exhaust, 2.5" piping, 3A Racing Muffler...(Sounds pretty good..)

JVC Headunit: MP3/CD/AM-FM
2 12" Subs in Bandpass box
580WATT Dual 2/1 Channel Amp
Radar Detector
Old 12-01-2004, 07:41 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15719
What I Drive: Mineral Grey Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Cmmcc Good Standing Member
So I found the instructions and looked behind my volant box... I see a few 10mm bolts but im a noob so I think I need a little more detail as to where the butterflies are I need to open. Anyone possibly have a pic please, or a bit more detail.

Thanks
SCT Chip : Screamin Deamon Coil w/ 10mm Livewires : Full SVT Suspension : 60mm Throttle Body: EVO 5 Body Kit : Mach Audio HID's : TYC Tail Lights : Custom Carbon Fiber Hood : Redline Tuning Elit Hood Lifts : Volant Intake : Magnaflow Catback : Diamond Plate Interior Floor : Reverse Glow Guages: Aluminum Billet HVAC w/ SVT Pod : Custom E Brake : 18" Riax Rims : Clear Side Markers : Blue LED M3 Side Mirrors : Swab Mod : Front Drilled & Slotted Roters

Last edited by Cmmcc; 12-01-2004 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:41 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9745
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black Focus SE SPi

FF Reputation: 1 Sting2324 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
What id did when i did it was remove your whole intake assembly...box, hose going to the TB..you then should see a black box with 2 10mm bolts 1 you can see 1 is difficult to see but mounted below that black box. Take it off but DO NOT UNPLUG the wire going into that box or you get an engine light. After you get that box off, you should see a metal peice with 3 ends sticking out, rotate it half way and use something to hold it in place. Some people use springs, but i found it easier to use a ziptie. Then get about 3-4 washers and put that box back on so it's not dangling around under there. use the 3-4 washers for each bolt then reinstall your intake assembly. I too have this mod..it is nice but get ready to see your gas mileage decrease. Hope this helps!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:05 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Ill tell ya when I do it at lunch time today... Hopefully I can find this thing
Is the box closer to the TB or behind the Intake box?
SCT Chip : Screamin Deamon Coil w/ 10mm Livewires : Full SVT Suspension : 60mm Throttle Body: EVO 5 Body Kit : Mach Audio HID's : TYC Tail Lights : Custom Carbon Fiber Hood : Redline Tuning Elit Hood Lifts : Volant Intake : Magnaflow Catback : Diamond Plate Interior Floor : Reverse Glow Guages: Aluminum Billet HVAC w/ SVT Pod : Custom E Brake : 18" Riax Rims : Clear Side Markers : Blue LED M3 Side Mirrors : Swab Mod : Front Drilled & Slotted Roters
Old 12-02-2004, 08:24 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

i'll try and post up a pic of the box tomorrow. best of luck
Old 12-02-2004, 08:56 PM   #8
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Hey panther I used the bottom tie to hold the valve more center and the reason is because I figure with all the air flow it may need to be braced a little more.
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 12-03-2004, 01:32 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Sting2324
i'll try and post up a pic of the box tomorrow. best of luck

Thanks... I could use a pic.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:41 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

I took 4 pics just a lil while ago, and i tried to upload into thismessage but there too big. I tried photobucket, but there website isdown...email?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.