Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SOHC Victim's Sympathy Group Therapy!

19K views 52 replies 19 participants last post by  swagfocuswagon 
#1 ·
My 2003 SE SOHC motor blew.....yep that's right, sucked the valve seat in #4, running great one second, toast the next.[boxface] So after much research and price checking I decided to buy a junk yard motor and upgrade the head. My options were limited, Jasper motor $2,500, $2,000 for a local shop to install. This is my 16 year old daughters car, that I only paid $3,500 for.....so $4,500 was out of the question. So Dad get's to do an engine swap.[mad] I have another Focus, a 2000 SE with the DOHC Zetec,[pray] that one is my soon to be 16 son's car.

So yesterday my junkyard motor arrived from Lecavalier in Canada off Ebay, 56K on the odometer, looks a little rough, but probably stored outside, price was right $590. Most importantly it has the intake on it so I don't have to worry about fragments from the valve seat explosion from the old motor.

Ordered a reman/updated head from JCL on ebay, $299. I also ordered a full head gasket kit off Ebay for $30. Will probably order a timing belt/water pump kit also.....I am thinking it makes sense to replace it while the motor is on a stand and easily worked on.

As a side note, my local Ford Dealer wanted $1,600 to fix the AC on this car, it was the old pull the whole dash to replace the condensor. But while doing the tear down I found the High side hose from the compressor to the evap unit has a large road debris dent and puncture, much easier than pulling the whole dash.....let's hope that fixes it.

I will keep this thread rolling so other SOHC victims can see the progress, I will try to get some pictures also. [wrenchin]

See less See more
#38 ·
Yes my daughter is just fine, other than upset. She hit a Jeep Liberty and the spare tire went right into the headlight and pushed everything back. Looks like I have found a parts car for $400 bucks.....that gives me all the parts, now it's just the paint.

#39 ·
I just bought an 03 SE with the SOHC today. I was looking around craigslist for tires as that was the only thing I thought I needed. I saw an advertisement for a rebuilt engine for my new car, and clicked it open. After reading what the add said, and reading more horror stories on here, I wish I hadn't bought the car. It has 105k miles, and has no valve train noise. So I figure my options are to either relist the car tomorrow and try to break even or do a $250 reman head swap (no cam or lifters and core swap). So can anyone confirm that if I do the cylinder head swap before I drop a valve seat that it will prevent it from happening for another 100k? Also, has anyone who put a reman head on had a valve seat drop soon after the swap? I was looking at CHI (Cylinder Head International), they sell reman heads with what they say is a better seat than ford had factory.

#40 ·
Yes, if you swap out the head it will be fine. You can buy a full rebuilt head with updated valve seats for $300. I'll look for that link again.

I know you saw the stories and what not but I can tell you those motors are reliable as hell and is worth the head swap. If you get to it, before it gets to you. I held of and held off and held off ( I had faith) now i'm in the middle of a engine swap.

#43 ·
yea, that's the one on eBay for 250. I thought I got a good deal on the car at 3,000 when it books for around 4000. Now I'm still trying to decide if I want to do the head swap... Which means also water pump, timing belt (even though last owner said he did it), and an alternator for gits and shiggles... or try to sell it. I messaged about the head and they did say it had a 12 month warranty, but now im not sure.

#46 ·
Yes....listen to everyone here, do the head swap. Ours runs great now that the rebuild is done, look at my pictures above that is what will happen if you don't swap the head, and that will cost way more money. I live in a little town of 14,000 people, a mechanic here in town has three of these cars with blown engines, 4 when mine was sitting there. Can you imagine 4 cars from a town of 14,000......not very good odds.....

#49 · (Edited)
Nice job on the engine swap. Here is my tale of horror. Son's 2002
SE dropped the seat at 113,000 miles. Same deal, no warning, running
perfectly. Found a 40,000 mile replacement engine for $1500, my mechanic
put it in for $750 along with new water pump and timing belt since it was sitting
on an engine stand. 4 months later my son rear ends someone, cracks the radiator
and overheats the motor. Pulled the head and the head gasket is wasted and I figure
the head is warped which doesn't matter since I would go for the remanufactured/improved head any way. Only problem is I don't like the way the cylinder walls look. I little rusty looking and not completely smooth. What do you guys think? I need another replacement engine or can I just do the head? I'm new to this forum, can we post pictures?
Rick

#52 ·
I ended up getting a rebuilt engine and am in the middle of installing it.
I've lined up the first torque converter nut and tightned it but I can't get
the crank to turn clockwise to the next torque converter stud. Any ideas
on why? Both the engine and the torque converter were able to turn when
I started.

#51 ·
I'm rebuilding a SOHC 2.0 SPI and have less than complete faith in the specifications provided by our trusty friends at Fel-Pro. Could I get a few second opinions on the torque specifications and end sequence for the Head Bolts? I currently have them all at 44 ft/lbs and will hold sequence until a consensus of the SPI gods has been made. Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.