Focus Fanatics Forum banner

At a loss...

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  _AdriaN_ 
#1 ·
I'm at wits end trying to figure out what is the matter with my Foci. Lately it has been running VERY rough at lower speeds.

It's a 2000 SE w/ 2.0 SPI AUTO.

Symptoms

It spits and sputters then it will "catch" and take off. When this happens you can smell a bit of gas in the cabin. Once it takes off, the miss isn't there (much). You can cruise along at 80-90 MPH no problems. The issue is at lower speeds no matter the engine temperature.

Stuff recently done...
  1. Hollowed out CAT... Was glowing cherry red EDIT: Cannot afford a new one right now.
  2. New plugs
  3. New wires
  4. New fuel filter
  5. Used ignition coil

Side notes

OBD codes P0102 (MAF circuit low) and P0302 (Cylinder 2 Misfire) *On both coils
Oil on Cylinder 2 plug, rest look brand new
I've checked for vacuum leaks, can't find any
I've checked the wiring to the coil
Spark tested cylinder 2 and it has good spark

Have not compression tested but I'm not sure if it's needed??? It also seems unplugging the MAF makes it run a little different and sometimes kills the engine.

Also, I've pulled power to each injector as its running and 1,3,4 kill the engine however, 2 doesn't.

Any ideas?[hatchet]

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks guys, I will try to get around to fixing these soon and report back.

To clarify, the oil is on the part spark plug down by the electrode(inside the block) not the outside. I took the valve cover off and the gasket didn't look too good as it was grooved in spots which I thought was weird.

#7 ·
Swapped injectors around on 2 & 3 and still throwing a Cylinder 2 misfire. I'm going to compression test it when I get a chance, nobody to help today.

I'm hoping it's not something internal but if the compression test shows #2 has bad compression, what's the possible culprits?

#10 ·
how does your pcv tube look? off the valve cover into the intake, just below the throttle body. Mine was causing some driveability issues, bad idle, ect. I replaced the whole tube assembly (not the valve, however) and my SPI has been working great so far.. not the answer your looking for but a possible solution to future drivability isues

#11 ·
I took this off and cleaned it because it was sucking closed at the valve. I've tried cleaning the valve but it still sucks closed. I think this may be a problem but it keeps throwing a cylinder 2 misfire no matter what. I haven't had a chance to do a compression test but I'm pretty sure it's something internal.

#12 ·
Finally got around to doing a compression test. Compression seemed about the same on all four cylinders. When doing cylinders 2 & 3 the car would run very rough, but doing cylinders 1 & 4 it wouldn't start.

The needle would start out at 90 then it would jiggle a little bit, drop to 60 and jiggle some more down to 30, then it would hover prob around 15. Like I said, it did this on all four.

???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.