Just Ordered - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2004, 08:41 AM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10596
What I Drive: 01 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 blueoval Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Smile Just Ordered

I had just ordered my BDR 60 mm TB. Now I have many decesions to make about which air intake to get. I'v heard good things about Volant intake systems, but I would like to see what the rest of yall have on your SPI.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2004, 10:33 AM   #2

Fan#: 2258
What I Drive: 2k SPI-T, with Lentech automatic stuff on it

FF Reputation: 1 waterboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Whatever you do, don't get a BOMZ. I hear the arguement all the time that it is good, and for the money a good purchase. Not so. An improvement over stock? Maybe. The filter is crap. I have been guilty of buying two BOMZ intakes and thinking it was great. Since I installed my Iceman upper with a Pro-Flo 70mm MAF and MAC filter I will mever run anything else. If you're looking into the Volant, I'd say you're looking in the right direction. FocusSport makes a decent intake too. If you go with any type of CAI you need to consider a bypass valve if you live in an area prone to puddling. I have suffered through hydrolock once (with the kids in the car) and it sucks....Literally.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:29 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Once I find the intake that I wont am I going to need a larger MAF sensor, or is the stock one just fine? Is the CAI fine for a once in awhile rain event or is it not recommended for palces that gets rain. It seems that the only time that I get any rain is in a thunderstorm.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:03 PM   #4
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
CAI is fine in the rain, as long as you get the bypass valve. and from what i have heard, the bypass valve really donest effect HP much normally. i kind of think of it as a $50 insurance policy against hydrolock.
check out this test of the valve: http://sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0104scc_tested/

as sir waterboy says... look at volant or FS. you shouldnt have any problem with your stock MAF with those. as far as i know.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:18 PM   #5
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Hey Urn, does VOLANT even make a intake for the SPI? I didn't think they did. Just curious....
Old 09-06-2004, 05:56 PM   #6

Just jumping in here...

When we go from the stock 50mm to the BDR or Mustang GT TB, any CAI for a ZETEC will fit at that point.

Jim
Old 09-06-2004, 06:49 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Is it real difficult to remove the stock TB and intake and place the new TB and intake? I do know that you have to make a notch (spelling) in the BDR TB to be able to accept the air intake tubing.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:08 PM   #8

Difficult? No, but that sucker is on with some kinda space glue or something. I tapped mine with a mallet (not to be confused with a mullet) until it came loose. I run a Mustang GT 65mm TB, so I can't answer the ?? about the BDR TB.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:19 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8462
What I Drive: 2003 Focus Sedan Dark Shadow Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Grey_Fury Good Standing Member
What kind of adjustments did you have to make for the Stang TB. What kind of difference is there between a 60mm &65mm TB(other than 5mm ).

Thanks Jim
Old 09-06-2004, 08:26 PM   #10

I'd say you're better off with the BDR. It is a simple bolt-on as opposed the the Mustang TB. A phenolic spacer had to be made out of two parts to make all the channels and whatnot. Then the TPS wiring had to be lengthened about 6", and your throttle and cruise linkage has to be moved to the opposite side. When Gigaherz on FJ was doing this, there were no companies like BDR out there for us. I tested the Mustang setup for Gigaherz and it works fine. I have had it for almost 5 years, but now that BDR is out there you may as well get that.

Jim

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.