Electric "Turbo" blower- Good idea? *CLOSED* - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2004, 12:07 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10927
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 johngyver Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Electric "Turbo" blower- Good idea?

I ran across an item on ebay that caught my attention. It is an electric turbo system. We all know that super chargers and turbos main function is to pull as much air as possible into the TB. Well of course these items cost a great deal. My back ground is in the car audio & security world. I have wired up thousands of alarms and installed many $10,000 or more systems. My point is that I have a strong 12v back ground. The item on ebay is a 12v powered turbo boasts a strong intake boost. What is the catch? The item only costs $159.99. A variable resister can be made to control the soeed of the electric motor which will result in a controllable turbo. This is definately a good idea from a base point of view, however I figure that there has to be some sort of a catch since not everyone is using it. Does anyone know about this product? Listed below are the details from the auction;

This is a brand new never used electric turbo blower that goes between your air filter and intake, its intake is 3 inches wide and the compressor outlet is also 3 inches,, It is powered from your 12 volt battery and produces 200 cubic feet per minute.Normal superchargers and turbos produce anywhere from 300-600 CFM BUT give your motor great risk of damage, so why not pay 1/20th the price to have a safe way to go with forced induction. normaly people mount a on and off switch "from an autoparts store" and are able to toggle the electric motor on and off depending on when you want that little boost. NO reserve , happy bidding

johngyver

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
You can get one for less than $40 shipped.
Go to a boat store and look for boat blowers or bilge pumps.

That's all they are with a fancy name for ebay.

Click here then enter BLOWER for the search.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:22 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6997
What I Drive: 2k1 tw.blu.met se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 XfocusX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
ha ha ha. boat parts. go figure. for 20-40 bones, is there any benifit? that is a very cheap mod if it even works a little better than without.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:27 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5663
What I Drive: Black MazdaSpeed3

FF Reputation: 1 GCubes Good Standing Member
The only electric "booster" that I saw and seems to actually give descent power is the Thomas Knight Turbo Electric Supercharger for 3500$.
So a fan on e-bay for 160$ sound more like an hairdryer than a power maker to me.

Last edited by GCubes; 08-10-2004 at 12:33 PM.
    Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2004, 12:38 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

In theory this sounds like an awesome mod BUT there is always a catch. I am thinking, now that I know that it is a boat part, that the motors may sound pretty loud. I have wired up a few bilge pumps and some of them were just aweful sounding. Other than that it makes good sense. I bet a simple electronic adapter could be made to increase voltage to the electric motor as the RPMs increase. Kind of like an auto adjusting turbo except it is on all the time. At lower RPMs it could be turning enough to keep the noise levels down and at full tilt boogie it could open up all the way!

What is the life span of one of these pumps? Are they made to run continuously or are they only designed to run for short periods of time? Hey, it could be adjusted to run at a flip of a switch or for track purposes.... I mean at every red light!

Someone please shoot this idea down or else I will start developing a full blown electric turbo system from boat parts soon! I am down for the challenge and at less than a $100 it sounds like it is worth the R&D costs!

I will just sell an old pair of shoes on ebay for the upstart costs!
Thanks guys!

Last edited by johngyver; 08-11-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:43 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

What kind of CFM does a turbo produce? This product states that it will push 200 to 300 CFM. An electric motor is an electric motor. I have installed a ton of fans in computers. the theory is the same, size and quality is different. A 12v fan pushing 200 CFM is realistic. I would not run it while the car is not running though... or else the battery goblins will come for you! Other wise the only real issue is whether a boat fan is up to the task as far as quality and designis concerned.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:44 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 628
What I Drive: 2004 ZX3 2.3 (DKG1)

FF Reputation: 1 focituner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I love to hear what comes of your research. Please keep us informed.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:45 PM   #8
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
It's probably the biggest piece of shit that has ever been on EBAY......

Halarious Microtonal.....
Old 08-10-2004, 01:01 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Well, after reading about the Thomas Knight electric booster I'd have to say that his design is way over the top. It requires gobs of power due to using airplane electric turbos. He said that you need 4 batteries or a 200 amp alt to supply the juice. At $3500 and the need to rebuild the charging system I'd have say that it is not truly a good option. At that rate just get a real SC for your car.

The boat elecric fans are a totally different concept. They will run on our standard battery and charging system. They are tailored for a 3'' piping system which most intakes are that size. If not the local hardware store has all kinds of 3" stuff for the project. They do not piggy back another system. No need to adapt belts or hoses. There is also no need for additional cooling. Those boat pumps can push a ton of air. I realy think that this could be something to look into. Keep the ideas rolling guys! Either we shoot this down for a valid reason or we find the next best mod for any car!
Old 08-10-2004, 05:23 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6997
What I Drive: 2k1 tw.blu.met se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 XfocusX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
any more thoughts on this? i agree, if there is not a reason to doubt it, why do so? all i have seen is that ebay is junk, but it is a boat part, not an ebay special. it apears to be like a mini turbo. no where near the huge gains, but a lil kick in the pants. more opinions!!!
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.