Question for Waterboy - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2004, 01:01 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8462
What I Drive: 2003 Focus Sedan Dark Shadow Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Grey_Fury Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question for Waterboy

Just curious, did you leave the SWAB mod inplace while you were testing the SC or did you remove it for testing purposes?

Also, if you removed it are you planning on re-doing it with the chip in place?

Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2004, 05:39 PM   #2

Fan#: 2258
What I Drive: 2k SPI-T, with Lentech automatic stuff on it

FF Reputation: 1 waterboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I left it "on" the whole time. It never even crossed my mind to remove it. I guess I could try it to see what happens.

Jim
Old 08-09-2004, 05:47 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Like I said, I was just curious. Also, how much did the swab mod and/or SC change your gas mileage?

Thanks Jim
Old 08-09-2004, 05:54 PM   #4

SWAB= lower gas mileage. More so because I was constantly mashing the gas than anything else.

SCT chip= HUGE increase (results will vary) in gas mileage along with a nice kick in the pants
Old 08-09-2004, 06:07 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Awesome. Thats What I wanted to hear. So even with the swab mod decrease once you add the SC you still end up with some increase in mileage.

Thanks

Cory
Old 08-09-2004, 07:42 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10927
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 johngyver Good Standing Member
Educate me Waterboy. What is the SCT chip, how hard is it to install, how much does it cost and where can I get it?

Also explain the difference of putting in on before or after most of your bolt on mods... if you have the time. I am new around here but from what I can gather you are the man!.... umm, I mean boy!

Thanks Waterboy for your time and shared knowledge!

John Gyver

2002 Silver Focus SE Sedan - TYC tail lights (black/chrome), Clear grill Lights and bumper lights, 20% tint, 17" Kazera KZ-T wheels, Ractive intake, Ractive strut tower bar, Ractive 9MM SPI spark plug wires.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:53 PM   #7

I'm just a humble ditchdigger from Ohio, nothing special.

As for the SCT, it's a Superchip available from FocusSport. It is just being released, so you may not get a response from FS if you e-mail them. Last time I spoke to Randy he was getting the SPI web page done. Please be patient, Focus tuning is merely the tip of the iceberg to what he does. The SCT chip is a multi-program chip with unlimited capabilities. I have four programs that I can switch on the fly, as well as a stock program. I have the EGR delete, as well as the o2 sensor delete for a race header. My rev limiter is 7200, and my shift points are 7k at WOT, 6500 at normal to part throttle. Shifts are very firm but not harsh. Gas mileage is up, even though I mash the gas like gas was free. 950rpm idle, so no jarring during idle like I used to have.

As for the install, you have to remove your ECU. Now don't be scared, it's really easy and as long as you disconnect the battery you'll be fine. After you follow the easy instructions you'll be ready to go. There CAN be glitches, like no start. Most if not all problems are the result of not getting the ECU connection clean. Then from the chip there's a little switch that you can mount most anywhere you want. I left mine hanging outside the glovebox. Works but is ghetto. You can switch modes on the fly. No need to flip a chip or reset your ECU.

The price I'm not at liberty to say, but I "think" it's around $300. Keep in mind this is a FOUR program chip, not one like most offerings for close to the same price.

I had all my mods done before I tested the chip. I was running a Diablo up until I pulled it into the shop to swap to the SCT. I can tell you the SCT KILLS the Diablo, no question!! When I sent the SCT back to FS for some revisions, I reinstalled the Diablo.....For about 5 minutes. It was that bad by comparison.

Anybody want a Diablo??

And I go by waterboy to confuse the young 'uns
Old 08-09-2004, 09:19 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10927
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 johngyver Good Standing Member
I think I'll be getting the SCT mod soon! I still have to finish my core bolt ons first. I am doing the basic intake/spark/exhaust technique to modding. What other bolt ons would you consider once the Intake, TB, coil/wires/plugs, header/high flo cat/exhaust are all bolted on? I am doing these mods by stage (or by the paycheck... know what I mean!). Am I missing anything that you think is very important from the bolt on group? Thanks for any info!

johngyver
Old 08-09-2004, 10:07 PM   #9

Head work and a good cam will do wonders. Porting and polishing coupled with a good cam will give you as much gain with two mods as you got from all the others combined. Degree your cam. Well, have your cam degreed. As much as 20 hp has been found in a stock engine just by degreeing the cam.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:40 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6997
What I Drive: 2k1 tw.blu.met se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 XfocusX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
what hp gains on a bolt-on complete engine? which cam is recomended/endorsed?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.