mac intake - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2004, 05:57 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6997
What I Drive: 2k1 tw.blu.met se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 XfocusX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
mac intake

any thoughts on the mac short ram intake. i am thinking of doing the shorty cuz i do live where it rains and puddles are all over all the time and i do not want to have to fear with a full cai, no water loc is wanted. is mac good?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2004, 06:06 PM   #2
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Rams work well, as long as the weather isnt too hot. You will get better gains from a CAI in warm/hot weather, but i understand the water injestion fear...

You can add a bypass valve to a CAI to avoid the problem though.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:54 PM   #3
Focus Addict

i do live in the heat, 100+ summers, and cool winters, rain and such. so still the cai is recomended huh. i heard you mention the bypass before also, where can i see a price? i was going to get an intake used (ebay). theoreticly the intake itself should not wear out, and i can always replace the filter with a k&n or clean the one on there. no need to fork out all the dough for new when used cant hurt, the wallet either
Old 08-01-2004, 07:17 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2525
What I Drive: 2003 Liquid Grey ZX 3

FF Reputation: 1 EastTexFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Intakes

Well, I have a MAC Shorty on my car and had a CAI on my previous vehicle. I also live where there are torrential rains and flooding throughout the year. East Texas has horrible downfalls.

While I had my CAI I did not have any problems with it. You only need to avoid puddles that will submerge a good deal of the filter. A few puddles wont hurt. DO not get spooked by horror stories. They do happen, but how many have the CAI vs. how many have had a true problem? The ratio is greatly in favor of those with no problems.

As far as the E-bay intakes go, they are not too popular here. The main concern is name recognition. CLosely followed by problems with the lower mount. Of course, I have heard the same thing about the AEM CAI.

That all said, I like the MAC. Suprised? Well, quality is very good. The install is super easy and It looks great under the hood. The down side is the previously mentioned heat problems. I can tell when my car has sat out in the sun and I start it up. The gains are OK, but the sound is great.

Either way you will be doing better than the stock air box.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/490234/1
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2004, 07:24 PM   #5
Focus Addict

i wasn't talkin ebay(bomz) intakes, but a used aem, mac, short or full cai ... whatever i decided.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:28 PM   #6
Capt. Urn

aha... after searching just about every site i know of i found it...

http://www.namotorsports.net/detail....t_cd=AE20-401S

this one is made specifically for the AEM intake, but it will work on anything with the same sized tubing. if you need a differnt size, they are out there somewhere...

As for water injestion, yes, it is rare. but, personally, i would much rather spend the $ on the bypass valve then take that risk, especially since in my area flash flooding on the roadways is quite common.

one more thought...
there is a post currently running on the jet about intakes on the SPI, you might want to check it out for some good info, if you havent already.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:35 PM   #7
Focus Addict

thanks urn, i also am a subscriber to the 'better safe than sorry' thought process. so go with the cai over the ram. and i believe the aem can be shortened to a short ram, am i right? so in the cool wet months i can just do that and not have to worry at all, a lil of column a and all of column b. gatta love it!!
Old 08-01-2004, 07:48 PM   #8
Capt. Urn

i have not heard if the AEM can be used for both short ram and CAI... but i think there are a few out there that can be, though i cannot remember which ones. again, since we are talking about zetec intakes, the zetecers would probably know more then me, i havent taken the time to study zetec intakes (although i should get off my lazy bum and do it...)

but i have heard of several ppl who switch intakes with the seasons. here the wet months are the hot months, so i am out of luck either way... lol.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:21 PM   #9
Focus Addict

the place onnthe aem where in apears two pieces come together. i thought the if you did not ad the second piece, just the filter, it was a short ram. if the piece is added then the filter on the end, it was the full cai. carless assumption?
Old 08-01-2004, 08:36 PM   #10
Capt. Urn

it may work, its worth a try. however, look at the pictures of the intakes and note the differances in the way the tube bends.

CAI
Ram

I dont know exactly how this intake fits in the engine bay, so i don't know if it would work, but the tubing is differnt.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.