I want to make it growl a bit more - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2004, 04:46 PM   #1
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I want to make it growl a bit more

OK, I read the post that said dont put on a muffler with stock pipes but too late I did that a long time ago so what I want to know is how it would sound if I cut out the secondary muffler. I have full intentions of getting a cat back system but, I got a pretty new tickit to pay for (94 - 45 I was lucky enough to not be clocked) so untill I can afford it I'm looking for other options. Also I got a little idea about running duel exaust just for a little style, any comments on that

GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
Code415

Fan#:
Its gonna sound pretty bad with ALL that stock piping and but one muffler.

Not really a way around it as you will get lots of small backfires when revving it. It happens with a catback but not as bad.

Old 06-28-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
remove your stock air box and throw a cone filter on the end of the maf sensor, that helps the sound a good bit
Old 06-29-2004, 06:32 AM   #4
FF Cleaning Squad

I already have a AEM SRI it did help a little but since cutting the secondary is out what is the best pipe size for the focus, 2.5? and when I get headers what kind are best Shotrie, race, or pace setters I dont know the diff. and does the converter have to be relocated
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 06-29-2004, 05:54 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2637
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 5 FucusUnderground Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2.5 inch piping is more than enough for a Focus. 3 inches is overkill IMO. I have never heard of Pace setter headers...but...a shorty header is a direct bolt-on replacement of our dismal stock exhaust mani, allowing the cat to remain in place. A race header, on the other hand, is a long-pipe design, and it deletes the cat. These are aptly named: they are strictly for race applications. Anyone using a race header for street use does so at their own risk (noise complaints, failed emissions etc). I have seen a few people do a full custom exhaust system with race headers, an aftermarket high flow cat and cat-back. I would go that route, but since my Focus is only going to see the track a few times per year, and among good buddies at that, I would have no need for race headers. But like all aspects of customizing, it's up to you what you like better. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2004, 06:02 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
i didnt know pace setter made a header for the spi. you will be ok with either 2.25 or 2.5 to be honest. the spi wont outflow 2.25 ever really. race header will make u more power but u will be loud :)
Old 06-29-2004, 07:39 PM   #7
Code415

Fan#:
Quote:
Originally posted by EuroZX3
i didnt know pace setter made a header for the spi. you will be ok with either 2.25 or 2.5 to be honest. the spi wont outflow 2.25 ever really. race header will make u more power but u will be loud :)
Thats not entirely true.

If you are just gonne do boltons then by all means stick with the 2.25" piping.

If you plan to stay NA but you want to bump up the compression on your SPI then I would opt for the 2.5...but no bigger.

Pace Setter does make a "race header" for the SPI but it is missing an 02 bung and the firing order on the primaries is ALL wrong. And then along came Focus Central and they COPIED pacesetters damn design.....said there was not enough clearance to get the firing order correct. Then FC put out the shorty header and got the firing order right. lol....they pwn3d themselves.

Old 06-29-2004, 08:55 PM   #8
FF Cleaning Squad

Alright thanks I decided to get the shorty headers w/ 2.25 pipe. Now I'm gonna get a little off topic for a second, focus underground you said you switched your guages, I dont know if the 5spd spi comes w/ a tach in the cluster but if not did you have to do any thing special to the ZX3 guages to get the tach to work or does it plug right in and work right away? Now back on topic, now with the 2.25 pipe running from the header what about the secondary is it gone, and would throwing in a "Y" and adding a second exaust pipe affect anything, good or bad?
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 06-29-2004, 09:27 PM   #9
Code415

Fan#:
Your exhaust attaches at the catalytic converter...whether you have a cat or an off road pipe. And "throwing" in a Y at any point in the focus is just pointless. It adds weight and makes the exhaust have to make an unneeded turn.

Also....the zx3 guage cluster is straight plug and play. no modding needed.

Old 06-30-2004, 01:40 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2637
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 5 FucusUnderground Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The cluster swap is mindlessly simple. The hardest thing about itin my case was finding one. I finally got one from Ebay, but Focus tach clusters never stay up long. Yes, it is plug and play; no, you do not need any special connectors or wire harnesses. There is a writeup on how to do it on here I beleive, and there's also one on focushack.com. But again, the mileage is stored in the odometer module in the actual cluster - not the ECU- so unless you have it reprogrammed it will read the mileage of the car the NEW cluster came from. I got lucky and the one I got was only a couple hundred miles off of what it was so I didn't bother reprogramming it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.