noob question about tach - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 6037
What I Drive: 2002 Grabber Green SE

FF Reputation: 1 Green_Goblin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
noob question about tach

Ive got an 02 se spi auto and wanted to know if itd be possible or even worth it to add a tachometer. even though it isnt a stick its always nice to when to let off the gas a little bit to make gear change smoother. should i?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2004, 10:53 PM   #2

Fan#: 2258
What I Drive: 2k SPI-T, with Lentech automatic stuff on it

FF Reputation: 1 waterboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
First, Welcome!!

Second: A tach instrument panel from a ZX3 will swap in place of your tach-less. No further work necessary if you can get one that is close to your mileage. The trick is to find a panel with just a few miles over yours, then swap them when the mileages are the same.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4674
What I Drive: 03 Ford Focus Spi - 8v 2.0L

FF Reputation: 1 ill faded sole Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yeah. Waterboy is right. Getting an aftermarket TACH isnt that bad. But you could just find a ZX3 cluster put it in and have some place re program the miles. Then for a clean look you can swap needles off a newer Mercury Cougar cluster. But an Aftermarket tach on an automatic is ok I guess, im not a real big fan of AUTOMATIC's with tachs. But hey whatever floats your boat
Performance: 20mm ZX3 rear Sway, and Mbrp cat-back exhaust
Old 04-10-2004, 04:10 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1861
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 knightm3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by ill faded sole
im not a real big fan of AUTOMATIC's with tachs. But hey whatever floats your boat
Tachs are always nice because [and this is mostly for snow driving], you know for certain when the front wheels lock...

"Ten-Pointer" body kit, including:
Bambi Fender Relocation Mod
Bambi Bumper Separation Mod
Bambi Foglight Realignment Mod
Deer-sensing, laser-guided beam cannon [sold separately]
Old 04-10-2004, 04:23 PM   #5
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
yeah, just switch out the guage clusters. if you want a tach in your auto go for it. just dont get one of those huge aftermarket tachs that sits on your dash, that is just tacky...

you can sometimes find tachs on e-bay, but make sure you know what you are buying, and from whom.

as for snow driving. i dont have a tach, and i know exactly when my tires lock up or start spinning. its about feeling your car, not reading a gauge, atleast to me.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:06 AM   #6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 4276
What I Drive: 2002 Dark Blue LX

FF Reputation: 1 ess2s2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by crazy_urn
i dont have a tach, and i know exactly when my tires lock up or start spinning. its about feeling your car, not reading a gauge, atleast to me.
I don't have a tach either, and it has actually helped me to be able to feel my car better. I would like a tach, but untill I et one, I have to really pay attention to what my car is doing.

Besides, there is a lot about your car that a tach won't tell you. If you start to exceed your car's traction in a turn, your tach isn't going to indicate that and you'll end up just sliding off the road.

Reading your car's responses to the road is an art form in and of itself.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:29 AM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 6037
What I Drive: 2002 Grabber Green SE

FF Reputation: 1 Green_Goblin Good Standing Member
Thanks for the welcome and the answers- I'm not a complete car enthusiast as most of my time has always been devoted to computers but them and myself are getting kind of old and
tweaking my car seems like a good way to spend my time and money.

Buying an instrument panel from another car never occurred to me and I think that will be the
way that ill go, and ess2s2, youre right: being able to read my car without a tach is an artform
but having the tach will help me anticipate gear changes and such when i get the gear ratios
and gear change rpms figured out.

Hope to be on the boards more frequently as I add mods to my car and get some pictures hosted

Gob
Old 04-12-2004, 07:41 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1861
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 knightm3 Good Standing Member
Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy_urn

as for snow driving. i dont have a tach, and i know exactly when my tires lock up or start spinning. its about feeling your car, not reading a gauge, atleast to me.
I was wrong actually. It's the speedometer that lets you know for certain when the front wheels lock. Donno what kinda crack I was smoking when I said it was the tach., sorry about the misnomer.

Nevertheless, and I'll reference snow driving again, snow driving without ABS to be more precise. Watching the speedo dive to zero takes any possible guesswork out of the lockup equation. It's not always possible to hear a sliding tire on the snow, no matter how well you have the car felt out. Besides, part of feeling the car out is being able to accurately interpret what it is telling you via the instruments.

"Ten-Pointer" body kit, including:
Bambi Fender Relocation Mod
Bambi Bumper Separation Mod
Bambi Foglight Realignment Mod
Deer-sensing, laser-guided beam cannon [sold separately]
Old 04-12-2004, 04:15 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1534
What I Drive: 2002 Focus LX

FF Reputation: 1 Caleb Good Standing Member
so you can just get a new cluster and plug it in.....or do you have to run the wires for the tach.....ive been wanting to do this also.....thanks
Old 04-12-2004, 07:10 PM   #10

Fan#: 2258
What I Drive: 2k SPI-T, with Lentech automatic stuff on it

FF Reputation: 1 waterboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Plug and play. Takes about 1/2 hour. It's a D-I-Y, but you want your mileage to be the same as the tach'd speedo cluster when you swap them. That way you don't have to go to the dealer and pay them to reset the tach'd cluster.

I bought mine from "Scoobythecoreman" on Ebay. He's great.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.