Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How many miles on your spi engine?

54K views 180 replies 113 participants last post by  .+Man 
#1 ·
I wanted to start this thread to see how many miles can the spi engine get. I got my focus on April 2004 with 19513 mile and today it has 104578 miles and still going strong, I had to replace the timing belt, but outside of that it is running good.

#113 ·
Picked up a 01 SE last week, had 108k miles, valve seat issue, this one ran for about 30 seconds after it started "knocking", took it apart to find where the piston split also caused the block to crack in the bore, had to get another block, sucks cause out of 6 cars I have rebuilt this is the first (and hopefully last) one I have had to completly remove the engine and replace it.

#114 ·
110k now.. wonder if it'll still drop with the DPFE/EGR bypassed and new temp sensor. I wouldn't mind buying a Pruis right now so it probably never will. Wouldn't mind another Focus fine car all around too bad don't have the hybrid option.

#115 ·
The EGR causing a valve seat drop is a myth in my book, the routing of the egr tube goes into the center of the manifold so all cyl's get a taste of its own exhaust, it just looks like its only going into #4 cyl. Also not having a EGR set up is costing you 2-3 MPG.

#128 ·
vehicle specific internet forums tend to bring together people who are having problems. This often makes it seem like the vast majority of people on the forum are having problems, because many people first find the forum looking for a solution to their problem. Many people would never look for this forum if they were not having problems. Plus, you wind up looking at a relatively small sample size.

So, IMHO, the percentage of any malfunction is higher on a forum than it would be in reality. For example, look at the MK3 forum problem archive, you will see a lot of threads about transmission and MFT problems, many of them from people looking for solutions. Many people believe that the percentage of MK3 focus' with these problems is higher on the forum than in reality.

I believe that is the case with the SPI motor and the dropped valve seat. (now let me say, I know I am in the minority with that opinion.) Add to that the fact that this is an otherwise very reliable motor, and this issue, which is the only common issue to our motors, seems like it effects every single SPI on the forum.

People with more mechanical knowledge than me and with first hand experience have said every SPI will eventually drop a valve seat. This may be true, it may not be. I do not know. All I know for sure is that mine has not.

If it really concerns you, you can replace the head with a modified one and prevent the failure, if you choose to. I have chosen not to on my car. People have told me I am sitting on a ticking time bomb, and that may be true.

I am gambling that my SPI will continue to run until I replace it (which for me will probably be next summer, when my wife's car is paid off). Basically, I looked at the cost of replacing the head, compared that to the cost of repairing a dropped valve seat, and decided that with the miles I drive, and how well I have taken care of my car, it was worth the risk to me.

#132 ·
I just hit 130,000 and my timing belt snapped. Luckily it was at idle when it broke and did no damage to the head or pistons. The fuel pump went out as well. It's cost me 1200 bucks in the last month, but this is the first time I've had to do anything to it. It's been a great car so far.

#134 ·
130,000 miles and my timing belt snapped, but no damage to the engine. My fuel pump went as well. I have spent 1300 bucks in the past 2 months. Now the evap system is acting up and the car runs rough. I still get 34 mpg though. This car has been perfect up until the last couple of months.

#140 ·
Got another one, 122k miles with dropped seat. I have good piston and rods for sale if anyone needs them, will have piston rings on them, just add rod bearings and drop in. DO NOT reuse damaged ones!!! Pm me if interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.