SVT owners: Want yellow foglights? How-to inside! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-31-2005, 08:42 AM   #1
RedSVT 03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9221
What I Drive: 2005 Brilliant Red Audi 2.0T Q

FF Reputation: 1 RedSVT 03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
SVT owners: Want yellow foglights? How-to inside!

After an endless search on the web for the proper foglight bulb in yellow for my SVT, I gave up. The closest I found was a company called Luminics. They carry a yellow 9005 (which can be modified to fit the SVT for those who do not know) on their site, but the bulb wattage is not listed. I emailed them 5 times, asking for the wattage. They never replied back to me, so I got sick of waiting. A short while after this, I met a guy at a G2G who had done homemade yellow fogs. His name is NV_MY_SVT on The Focus Connection . All credit is given to him. I am simply sharing the wealth with other SVT owners with this simple write up.

Items needed:
7mm socket wrench
paint masking tape
old toothbrush
Windex™
Paper towels
Krylon™ Stained Glass enamel (yellow) - this can be found at a craft store, Michael's specifically

Time:
Allow 15-30 minutes per foglight removal/cleaning
Allow at least 15 minutes in between coats
Allow foglight to dry for at least 1.5 hours ( I suggest 24 hours)

REMOVAL:
Unplug and remove the bulbs from the foglights. Remove the three (3) 7mm bolts holding the foglight mount to the bumper. There are two (2) lower bolts, one bolt located above the foglight mounting unit. This bolt is a little tricky to find, as you will be "blind" trying to find it. (Meaning you cannot see it, you have to go by feel). Once the three bolts are removed, simply pull the mounting bracket off the car. You will see that there are four (4) 7mm bolts holding the actual foglight to the mounting bracket. Remove all of the bolts. Repeat on the other side of the car.

Once the foglights are removed from the mounting brackets, thouroughly clean them with Windex™ and a paper towel. Once they are dry, spray a small amount of Windex™ on the lense, and scrub with an old toothbrush. You want them as clean as possible, no dead bugs stuck to them. Once they are dry, tape off any area of the foglight that you do not want the yellow paint to touch.

PAINTING:

Using the Krylon™ Stained Glass enamel, apply light, even coats to the foglights. I applied two light coats, and the third and final coat was a little heavy. I had some issues with my spray can. The enamel didn't want to come out like typical spray paint. The nozzle kept jamming. If this is the case, simply return the can to the store, and get another. Allow at least 15 minutes in between coats. DO NOT TOUCH the lense when it is wet. You want to allow it to dry for at least 1.5 hours after the final coat. I allowed mine to dry for 24 hours before reinstalling them on the car. Yes, I did drive my car with no foglights in case anyone wondered. I just simply taped off the wiring harness with blue painters masking tape, and tucked them up into other wiring to keep them dry.

INSTALLATION:

Attach the foglight back onto the mounting bracket using the four (4) 7mm bolts. There is only one way for the foglight to go on. Next, put the foglight bulb back into the harness, and attach those to the foglight. This is much simpler than mounting it, then putting the bulb back in. Next, attach the mounting bracket back on to the bumper. You will see that the mounting bracket is side specific, meaning one fits on one side, same with the other. Put the two (2) lower 7 mm bolts back in to hold the mounting bracket in place. This is where it got a little tricky for me. The third 7mm bolt for the top of the mounting bracket was a little tough to get back in "blind." so I removed my headlights, and went in from the top. You do not have to do this, but to me, it made it so much easier. I found that removing my HID's, as much work as that is, was easier than messing with that third bolt. Again, you do not have to do it this way, but I think it is easier.

MISCELLANEOUS:

MOST IMPORTANT - take your time. There is no rush. This is a pretty simple process once you get the lights off the car. If you take your time, allow the paint to dry properly, and follow these instructions, you should have yourself a nice inexpensive appearance mod. IMPORTANT - modify your car at your own risk. Check your local laws regarding light output/color. When painting, the more coats you use, the darker it will be. One coat will get a light yellow, two will get it darker, and so on. I feel that three coats is perfect. My light output is still decent, although I am using modified 9005 Sylvania Silverstars over the stock bulb. PM me if you have questions on how to paint the foglighs, modify a 9005 bulb to fit your SVT, or if you are not sure on how to remove your HID's. I will be more than glad to help anyone that asks

Mods: feel free to sticky this, or put it in the how-to's if you feel necessary.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 09:03 AM   #2
MISVTfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13841
What I Drive: 08 Fusion SEL, Focus ST on order

FF Reputation: 1 MISVTfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
you got pix?
Old 05-31-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
RedSVT 03
Focus Enthusiast

The only pic I have is of the lights on his car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yellowfog.jpg
Views:	3217
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	6069  

Old 05-31-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
nootch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13776
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT #554/3985

FF Reputation: 1 nootch Good Standing Member
Nice job!
Old 05-31-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
stever525
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19930
What I Drive: 2001, Sangria Red ZX3 "S2"

FF Reputation: 1 stever525 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
That Looks Great!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:58 PM   #6
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Did you check Höen's website? They sell the H10 light in an "all-weather" coating which is the traditional "yellow" foglight like you see on Mercedes or Lexus cars. Unless I am mistaken H10 is the fog light bulb that the SVT Focus uses.

Or perhaps you were looking for something with more of an "orange" tint to it, based on the pic. At any rate, that looks like a nice job and thanks for sharing. Now I'll wait for someone to say that's rice to have yellow fogs.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:15 PM   #7
RedSVT 03
Focus Enthusiast

I just checked Hoen's website, and they do have an all weather bulb in H10, which is the proper bulb for the SVT. The lights look more orange than yellow. I was looking for more of a yellow effect, and I definitely got it with the spray. Also, those bulbs are $33 + shipping I believe....a little on the expensive side. Thanks for the info on that bulb, I knew about the matching bulb for the SVT HID's, but not about the all weather bulb.

Edit: BTW - the sprayed lenses do look a little orange, but they definitely display a yellow light.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:46 PM   #8
jocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10824
What I Drive: 2k2 pitch-black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jocus Good Standing Member
http://focussport.com/laminx.htm
Old 05-31-2005, 03:23 PM   #9
RedSVT 03
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, that LaminX stuff is also an option. I had seen that before, but again, I didn't feel like spending that much just to get yellow fogs. They are $17.95 + $5.95 for shipping within the U.S. I am just offering this as an option to spending a lot for yellow fogs. The total cost of my project was just shy of $6.50

Thanks for posting the info though, gives interested people an option.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:00 PM   #10
revamp
Cashed in my chips

Fan#: 8133
What I Drive: notafocus

FF Reputation: 4 revamp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
not only will the lamin-x tint your lights the color you want, but with the 17.95 + shipping you also get protection from chipped or cracked fogs (which is a problem w/ SVT fog lights)
Old 05-31-2005, 05:18 PM   #11
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
That looks great , though I still like the added protection of the Lamin-X.

BTW, this should really be in...”Exterior Body & Lighting Chat”...moving.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:42 PM   #12
SpacemanSpooge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19048
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SpacemanSpooge Good Standing Member
The Luminics bulbs are 10 watts hotter than stock, either 55 or 65. I can't remember off hand. I've had them on my SVT for months. They are the deepest yellow bulbs I have seen and are very bright. I also did not have to modify the bulbs to make them fit. It just takes some "finesse" and patience. As an added plus, the housings still look clear when the lights are off, unlike with some ebay and vato-zone bulbs.

Bookmarks & Social Networks