svt turbo management - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-26-2004, 12:12 PM   #1
SVT ewx ca
Banned

Fan#: 2593
FF Reputation: 1 SVT ewx ca Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
svt turbo management

My project is almost complete, have manifold - downpipe - intercooler - 38mm wastegate w/8 psi spring - and t3/t04b turbo (sorta guessed on the turbo actually, but I think its larger then the average) for my svt.

42lb injectors are on their way and a 70mm maf to match them.

Do you think since my off-road pipe is making my engine run rich that'll compensate when the turbo is on?...hehe I dont think so but I thought I'd ask....

1. Now for saving my engine, what is the easiest way? I need to tweak my ecu with a flash right?

2. What do I need for my ecu so I wont kill my car? My car still is pretty fresh w/ only have 10k miles on it...

3. Is there any way to calibrate my ecu without spending $500 +?

That's about it, thanks for the guidence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
TryToFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4589
What I Drive: 2001 Twilight Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 TryToFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, I'm admittedly clueless, but the only way to know for sure if your mixture is safe is to measure the air/fuel ratio with the car on the dyno (well, you could do it on the street, I suppose, but what a p.i.t.a.). I've read about turbo setups that used the stock PCM with bigger injectors and a recalibrated MAF, but I don't understand how it worked since the PCM will try to adapt and run a stoichiometric air/fuel ratio. That setup fed boost pressure to the pressure transducer in the fuel rail in order to raise the fuel pressure as the boost rises, but I never did understand why the PCM wouldn't just pulse the injectors for shorter durations to lean out the mixture.

So I guess you'll need a chip. I don't know what it costs to have one programmed, but my gut says $500 will definitely cover it.

As for the off-road pipe making the mixture rich, HUH?
I don't know much about this stuff, buy why would an off-road pipe enrich the mixture? I thought the oxygen sensor AFTER the cat was just used to check the cat's efficiency, while the first oxygen sensor is what the PCM uses to tell how rich or lean the mixture is. So your first oxygen sensor should still be doing what it was doing before the off-road pipe. Did you do something goofy with one of those O2 cheaters? I'm confused. Again.

Oh well. Somebody with half a clue will be along shortly, I'm sure.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:40 PM   #3
SVT ewx ca
Banned

Fan#: 2593
FF Reputation: 1 SVT ewx ca Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
My 02 sensor bung is installed, but ive showed a check engine light since I installed it.

I dont realy feel like replacing it, since my car runs fine. I was just informed that a offroad pipe, because of dimensions compared to a restrictive cat, makes your engine run "richer"...but again this is what I was told.

Im not a mechanic myself, hehe, just trying to understand my car and how to make everything run smoothly
Old 03-26-2004, 02:02 PM   #4
TryToFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4589
What I Drive: 2001 Twilight Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 TryToFocus Good Standing Member
Hehe, I can relate. Everybody else will tell you this, but I'll go first - be REALLY careful with this! Running any turbo without good fuel management is arguably one of the quickest ways to destroy your engine. I'm checking out turbo kits myself, and the first question I always ask is "what exactly does your kit include for fuel management?". For me, it's the highest priority.

Oh hey, I just realized you're in California - aren't you gonna be up shit creek when it's time for an inspection? (The second question I always ask is if the kit bolts onto the stock cat.)
Old 03-26-2004, 08:41 PM   #5
SceviourZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 438
What I Drive: '00 ZX3 CD Silver

FF Reputation: 1 SceviourZX3 Good Standing Member
off road pipe you just need a mil probally. and when it comes the the fuel management dont ksip on the cash. rather spend 500-700 for a good tune, of 2500+ for new engine?

2000 Focus ZX3

T3/t03 Airsearch turbo, Custom Manifold,Downpipe,intercooler piping, Spearco Intercooler, Greddy Type-S BOV,Turbonetics Delta gate 35mm,Stainless Oil lines/fittings, FC 65mm TB, Ported 00 intake manifold, Port/Polished head, Rage Adj Camgears, Esslinger Undedrive Pulley, SVT Pedals, Short Shifter, KYB GR-2 Struts, AR 5 Spoke Chromies,Ventus Rubber, Tein Springs,Xenon bodykit, Hella Headlight conversion, kaminari Carbon Fiber Hood, Kaminari Rear Wing, Shorty Billet Antenna
Old 03-26-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
SceviourZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 438
What I Drive: '00 ZX3 CD Silver

FF Reputation: 1 SceviourZX3 Good Standing Member
i've lear'nt this the hard way trust me

2000 Focus ZX3

T3/t03 Airsearch turbo, Custom Manifold,Downpipe,intercooler piping, Spearco Intercooler, Greddy Type-S BOV,Turbonetics Delta gate 35mm,Stainless Oil lines/fittings, FC 65mm TB, Ported 00 intake manifold, Port/Polished head, Rage Adj Camgears, Esslinger Undedrive Pulley, SVT Pedals, Short Shifter, KYB GR-2 Struts, AR 5 Spoke Chromies,Ventus Rubber, Tein Springs,Xenon bodykit, Hella Headlight conversion, kaminari Carbon Fiber Hood, Kaminari Rear Wing, Shorty Billet Antenna

Bookmarks & Social Networks