Battery Troubles. Default cold cranking amps and [etc] for 2001 ZTS - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
HarmonicFlocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18395
What I Drive: 2001 White Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 HarmonicFlocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Battery Troubles. Default cold cranking amps and [etc] for 2001 ZTS

Hey,

I just had to do a battery replacement and went to walmart. They didn't have a listing for Ford Focus so the guy gave me a matching model number but the cranking amps and cold cranking amps were different.

I was in a bad situation and needed to get it quick so i bought it. However i'm having some trouble after starting my car.

My question is : is there any website or does anyone know the default cold cranking amps / cranking amps and any other info i need to know to get an exchange?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Measure the 3 dimensions of the battery with a tape measure. Note the position of the terminals on the battery: the terminals will be close to one side on the top of the battery so use that as a reference point. You don't want to end up with a perfectly sized battery that has the terminals reversed.

Now, before you go checking on a battery by size- check how the current battery is fitting (measure again) under the cover to see if there is room to spare in any dimension. This will help you find more options. Do check each battery maker's line very carefully to find the largest capacity with the greatest reserve- some makers offer small batteries that have CCA ratings as high as larger batteries.

Now go find a battery with the largest CCA and capacity that will physically fit in your car. I personally always try to oversize my batteries as much as physically possible. Extra electrical capacity will only help your car. With good luck you might be able to convince Wally World to take back the other battery in exchange- if not- then I'd get one from an auto parts store instead of a department store. The prices are usually less, WM is not as competitive as they once were.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
FWIW, I've had good luck with Sears Diehard Gold batteries, the one in my Explorer is going on seven years and working fine. And another Diehard Gold in a Tauraus of mine was going strong after five years when I got rid of the car.

Of course, the battery Sears was selling as Diehard seven years ago may be nothing like the one they sell Today.

Consumers Reports often tests batteries, so you could check their evaluation. But I've found that the CR evaluations seem to go all over the place, with the best battery brand often changing, depending upon the physical size being compared. And the best brand often changes from year to year in their evauations, making it hard to get much of a recommendation, unless they have tested the particular size you are buying.

I have also hear good things about Interstate batteries (often sold by parts stores) and, if you want to go high end and spend a bunch of money, the Optima line gets a lot of good reviews. I have heard some negative comments on Energizer batteries.

"I personally always try to oversize my batteries as much as physically possible."

My approach as well. Often the batteries are priced the same, regardless of differences in CCA and AH, in the same product line/level, e.g., I believe most Diehard Gold auto batteries are priced the same regardless of physical size and associated CCA/AH.

And as whynotthinkwhynot says, make sure you get the same battery terminal configuration to avoid installation difficulties.

Bookmarks & Social Networks