2008 Focus Coupe Sedan - Spy Pics - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-30-2006, 07:39 PM   #71
Fazerdude
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37744
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus ST

Points 466, Level 9
Points: 466, Level: 9 Points: 466, Level: 9 Points: 466, Level: 9
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Fazerdude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by SkaAddict
My point is all the ST has over the other models is an extra .3L of displacement, SVT struts, rear disc brakes and some minor external appearance changes and a nicer interior, while the SVT was radically different from the base-model hatches in just about every way.<snip>
My point is that the SVT had so much different that it's kind of ironic that an ST with a tire swap can come so close to it in real world performance. It's almost like Ford saddled it with the P6s so it would not come so close to the SVT handling.

That extra .3 L makes a bigger difference in acceleration than you'd think, but the base Focus felt "blah" to me, where the ST was just good enough.

As for shorter gearing, I can already smoke the tires in 1st and would not want a drop in fuel economy either. If I were going to go to shorter gearing, 4.30s would be the way to go, as that way the top speed redline in 5th would be close to the drag limited one. Of course, fuel economy would take a nosedive unless you did go to a .5 overdrive via a 6th gear. The problem is that most people want a close ratio gearbox, even if they don't need one, so that is what the automakers give us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2006, 12:31 AM   #72
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally posted by Fazerdude
As for shorter gearing, I can already smoke the tires in 1st and would not want a drop in fuel economy either...Of course, fuel economy would take a nosedive unless you did go to a .5 overdrive via a 6th gear. The problem is that most people want a close ratio gearbox, even if they don't need one, so that is what the automakers give us.
Hmm...that's kind of funny...do you have any actual numbers to back that assumption up? Because I have numbers that disprove it. I've had 4.06 gears installed since May 2005 and I've been keeping track of my gas mileage pretty much since I got my Focus in 2004 (I have a spreadsheet with nearly two years of trip OD, total OD and gallons pumped), and after the 4.06 install there was practically zero difference in fuel economy before and after. That's right, my Focus gets the same mileage with a 4.06:1 final drive ratio that it did with a 3.82:1 final drive ratio. Nosedive indeed...I still get 32-34 MPG all highway and average about 28 MPG with mixed driving.

Oh...and its not like cars being able to "smoke the tires" (well technically it would be "tire" unless you have a LSD installed) is anything out of the norm...I could do that with my Zetec-equipped Focus when it was still off-the-lot stock, and you can also do it with an automatic.

Last edited by SkaAddict; 10-01-2006 at 12:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2006, 03:54 AM   #73
NvyGuardsman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28266
What I Drive: dual nuclear reactor, haze grey, aircraft carrier (during week) 03, twilight blue, LX (on weekends)

FF Reputation: 1 NvyGuardsman Good Standing Member
YES...FINALLY A COUPE SEDAN!!! No offense to anyone, but I HATE the hatchback look
Old 10-01-2006, 10:14 AM   #74
Dispraiser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28589
What I Drive: 02' Silver Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Dispraiser Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Those door handles are nasty!
Old 10-01-2006, 10:25 AM   #75
Fazerdude
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37744
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus ST

Points 466, Level 9
Points: 466, Level: 9 Points: 466, Level: 9 Points: 466, Level: 9
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Fazerdude Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by SkaAddict
Hmm...that's kind of funny...do you have any actual numbers to back that assumption up? Because I have numbers that disprove it.
I am talking about 4.30s, and assuming the same speeds, when I say nosedive. I don't really see that it would be worthwhile to go up from 3.82s to 4.06s. At any rate, its well proven that shorter gears decrease fuel economy, holding speed the same. I've heard of people getting the same economy, but I hear far more say they see a drop, and if you look at epa ratings on vehicles that have a selection of final drive ratios, the shorter geared ones always get worse fuel economy. Basically, I look at what is normal, and expect that. If you put shorter gears in expecting to get the same fuel economy, you are very likely to be dissapointed.

My point on smoking the tires is that if you already have traction problems with stock gears, you'll have even worse problems with shorter gears.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:37 PM   #76
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
You're going to have traction problems in any car with an open differential...I can chirp the tires (tire) in my mom's bone stock '05 ZX5 (3.73:1 final drive.) It has nothing to do with the final drive ratio...the tire slips because open differentials send the power down the path of least resistance to the wheel with the least amount of grip on the road. It just gets worse as you launch harder...you should try driving a Focus equipped with a LSD sometime, its a completely different animal.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #77
theLoach
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 37041
What I Drive: 2004 Blue 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 theLoach Good Standing Member
I'm so disillusioned with Ford. I agree with those who have no hope for the focus. I'm glad I got an 04 before the vw-ization.

except mustang, their new cars are pretty much clones of other designs...

new focus = mk 4 jetta
500 = passat (this one is really blatant)
fusion = that cadillac that was new 5 years ago... cts?

i know some people don't care, as long as it gets from A to B, but it's disappointing to see America following, instead of setting, trends.

i think i'd have to move over to the uk to become a real ford fan again. the fiesta st is so damn cool. i've actually been eyeing auto trader mags for fiestas and aspires.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #78
igor
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 25921
What I Drive: 2004 Mazda3s Sedan MTX

FF Reputation: 1 igor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by karguy427
IGOR - Where do you get your info that the ZX3 / ZX5 / wagon are being discontinued?
I wouldn't assume that because there are only spy photos of the coupe and sedan.
let's say - I know - it is based on rumors, but very reliable - very insider rumor/info ...

The demisa od Hatches was not confirmed yet, but Wagon demise was confirmed:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/ShowWhatsNewItem.asp?id=359

Igor
Old 10-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #79
sinclair
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 15398
What I Drive: 2006 f150

FF Reputation: 1 sinclair Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by S2
^^ why so?

by 2010 the only wrd car they are going to have is gonna have the stang. The town car, grand marqui, and the crown vic will cancell after 2008. Chevy will have like 3 or 4 rwd by 2010 including the commaro and a new impalla. If ford could make a car as cheap as the focus and rwd ford could make good money. Someone aka Ford design team needs to step up and make a rwd besides the stang

game set match done
Old 10-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #80
igor
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 25921
What I Drive: 2004 Mazda3s Sedan MTX

FF Reputation: 1 igor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by sinclair
by 2010 the only wrd car they are going to have is gonna have the stang. The town car, grand marqui, and the crown vic will cancell after 2008. Chevy will have like 3 or 4 rwd by 2010 including the commaro and a new impalla. If ford could make a car as cheap as the focus and rwd ford could make good money. Someone aka Ford design team needs to step up and make a rwd besides the stang

game set match done
because RWD is so much more important to all the Civic and Camry buyers than fuel economy and predicable FWD handling, and low price and interior room...

RWD is necessary to be present in a lineup, to capture the drivign enthusuasts ... but it is hardly a requiement, or even desirable on mianstream "appliance" vehicles liske Compacts and Midsizes ...

If you think the LX has been a great success, look up their sales numbers, and their fleet sales ... the love affair with the Chrysler 300 lasted for about 1.5years and is gone now.

Finally, if you think RWD is necessary in a compact, look up reviews of BMW1 series .... while people loved the handling, it is a flop, because it has absolutely NO interior space (because of RWD), inferior mileage (because of RWD) and is overpriced (because of RWD)...

game set match, done.

- RWD compact is a moronism, only enthusists with no sense of reality proclaim.

the smallest a 5seater RWD can go is BMW3 series - which is somrt of between a compact and midsize .. and GM might attmept that, but the result is unclear at this point.

Igor

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.