Honda unveils diesel system to rival gasoline cars - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-25-2006, 07:25 AM   #1
Kneel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6590
What I Drive: '05 Sonic Blue Escape

FF Reputation: 1 Kneel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Honda unveils diesel system to rival gasoline cars

While Ford stands still, Honda moves ahead with diesels.

Honda unveils diesel system to rival gasoline cars
Carmaker says it has developed a new and simple diesel power train that is as clean as gasoline-fuelled cars.

By Reuters

Published: September 24, 2006, 6:05 PM PDT

Honda, the car maker that floored the world in the 1970s with the first gasoline engine to meet U.S. clean air guidelines without a catalytic converter, said it has developed a new and simple diesel power train that is as clean as gasoline-fuelled cars.

The technology marks a big step forward for Honda at a time when rivals are racing to come up with ways to clear the world's strictest emissions regulations, called Tier II Bin 5, that the United States will usher in next year.

Diesel engines, which now power half of Europe's new cars, are slowly gaining traction with fuel-conscious consumers around the world since they typically get 30 percent better mileage than gasoline cars. Their weakness has been the higher exhaust levels of nitrogen oxide (NOx), a greenhouse gas.

Honda said on Monday its new diesel drive train features a unique method that generates and stores ammonia within a two-layer catalytic converter to turn nitrogen oxide into harmless nitrogen.

Honda engineers said the technology is superior to a process pioneered by Germany's DaimlerChrysler because the latter requires a complex system and heavy add-ons to generate ammonia from urea-based additives.

Some technical hurdles remain.

The system would need fine-tuning for the wide-ranging cetane indices of diesel fuel found in the United States. Honda also needs to develop technology to measure emissions levels according to U.S. On-Board Diagnostic System requirements.

But Japan's third-biggest automaker said it planned to roll out the advanced diesel engine in the United States within three years. DaimlerChrysler, which along with Volkswagen already sells diesel cars in the world's biggest auto market, is preparing its next-generation diesel car for a 2008 launch.

"Just as we paved the way for cleaner gasoline engines, we will take the leadership in the progress of diesel engines," Honda Chief Executive Takeo ui told a news conference at the automaker's R&D center north of Tokyo.

ui said Honda would be "open to considering" the licensing of its new diesel technology once it was perfected.

Honda has long been at the forefront of green power train technology, perhaps most famously with the development in 1973 of the CVCC (Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion) engine, which gave the popular Civic its name.

Earlier this year, it became the first in the world to announce voluntary global carbon dioxide reduction targets for its products and production processes.

In a demonstration of other new power plant technologies, Honda also showed off a prototype of its next-generation fuel cell vehicle that runs on a newly developed compact and more powerful fuel cell stack.

The new stack is designed to allow the hydrogen and water formed during electricity generation to flow vertically instead of horizontally, making the component 20 percent smaller and 30 percent lighter than the previous version.

Honda's new FCX fuel-cell car now has a driving range of 354 miles--a 30 percent improvement from the 2005 model--a maximum speed of 100 miles per hour and can be driven in temperatures as low as minus 22 degrees.

Honda plans to begin marketing the car in limited numbers in 2008 in Japan and the United States.

Honda said it also developed a flexible fuel vehicle (FFV) system that can operate on any ethanol-to-gasoline ratio between 20 percent and 100 percent. That car will be sold in Brazil, the biggest market for ethanol-based vehicles, later this year.

"Way out in the future, the ultimate green car will be fuel cell vehicles," ui said. "But in the meantime, you need a wide range of green technology to meet varying local needs and fuel supply."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

Points 12,236, Level 72
Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
Why did they throw the smileys on this guys name?

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
Kneel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6590
What I Drive: '05 Sonic Blue Escape

FF Reputation: 1 Kneel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by b16sir1991
Why did they throw the smileys on this guys name?
Because his last name is "F U K U I"
Old 09-25-2006, 08:17 AM   #4
SVT Robzor
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26230
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 5 SVT Robzor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Ah, good ol' Japanese, what would we do without them.

Probably all drive full-sized trucks and have no Playstation.

Marketable diesel options are FTW. Bring that, and the 5 door hatch, to our market and I'll trade my Focus.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Mr-914
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22215
What I Drive: 2002 Focus 2.0 Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 Mr-914 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
It sounds just like a particulate filter, but maybe cheaper. Ford already has these in Europe, and probably on trucks in the US. Right now, everyone is licensing technology from each other on diesels.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,399, Level 98
Points: 27,399, Level: 98 Points: 27,399, Level: 98 Points: 27,399, Level: 98
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm sold if they put it in a wagon or a panel van. I wish Ford would import some of those little diesel panel vans that they use in Europe and Asia. Except for hauling 32' extension ladders, I could use one just about anything.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.