Driver Responsibility Program in NY *SUCKS* - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #1
Future SVT rider
Banned

Fan#: 35383
What I Drive: 2002 SVT-Piranha edition

FF Reputation: 17 Future SVT rider Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thumbs down Driver Responsibility Program in NY *SUCKS*

Oh my god can it be worst than that?

I've just receive a letter from the state of New-york telling me that i have to pay an EXTRA 300$ additionnal of my speeding ticket!!!NO_WAY!!!

I'm NOT gonna pay because anyway i'm from Canada and they just cannot suspend my driver license here.

http://www.nysdmv.com/drp.htm

Quote: "What is a driver responsibility assessment?

In addition to any fines, fees, penalties, or surcharges that you pay for a traffic conviction, you must pay the driver responsibility assessment. The assessment is an amount that you must pay each year for three years. You pay the assessment to the DMV.

Who must pay a driver responsibility assessment?

You can have NYS driver responsibility assessments to pay if you have a driver license in NYS or a driver license from another state and you have driver incidents in NYS.

You must pay the driver responsibility assessment if any of the following incidents occur in NYS:

you are convicted of an alcohol-related traffic violation and the violation occurred on or after November 18, 2004 (includes boats and snowmobiles); or
you are convicted of a drug-related traffic violation and the violation occurred on or after November 18, 2004 (includes boats and snowmobiles); or
a DMV hearing determines that you refused a chemical test and the refusal occurred on or after November 18, 2004 (includes boats and snowmobiles); or
you receive six or more points on your NYS driver record during a period of 18 months and the violations occurred on or after November 18, 2004.
How do I know if I must pay the driver responsibility assessment?

If you must pay an assessment, the DMV will send a statement to you. The statement will display the information that you will need to pay the assessment.

What is the amount of the driver responsibility assessment?

The amount of a driver responsibility assessment depends on the type of violation and the total of your driver violation points.

If you are convicted of a traffic violation that is alcohol-related or drug-related, or if you refuse a chemical test, the annual assessment is $250. The minimum amount that you must pay each year is the annual assessment. The total assessment for the three years is $750.

If you receive six points on your driver record during a period of 18 months, the annual assessment is $100. The minimum amount that you must pay each year is the annual assessment. The total assessment for the three years is $300. If you receive more than six points on your driver record during a period of 18 months, the annual assessment is $25 for each point more than the original six points. The minimum amount that you must pay each year is the annual assessment. The total assessment for the three years is $75 for each point more than the original six points.

Note: You can pay the three annual assessments in the first year or the last two annual assessments in the second year. If you pay the total amount in one payment, you will not receive another annual statement for that assessment."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
Future SVT rider
Banned

How frustrating,i pay my 350$ speeding ticket and this coming to hunt me by mail.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
Since it seems you only get charged the assessment if (a) you are drunk driving, or (b) got caught with drugs, or (c) refused a drunk test, or (d) got six points or more, I assume you must of been speeding quite a bit to get six points with one ticket.
How fast were you going?
Old 09-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
Future SVT rider
Banned

89 miles per hour on the highway.The limit was 60.:|
Old 09-19-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
WTF is that? Mental note: no speeding through NY.

I'd be careful just ignoring it though, I'm assuming Canadian credit is scored like US right? And thigns like ignored fines and tickets and stuff if they report you to a collection agency or whatever, can hurt your credit. I'm pretty sure, but if there's any financial gurus to prove me wrong it'd be good to know for future reference!
Old 09-19-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
yeah try living in Ny, and now starting at the end of the month you can NOT talk down a speeding ticket cuz the officer has to be at the court for the ticket and the state says that they can no longer afford to pay overtime, so if you get caught speeding in NY your stuck with whatever ticket you get there isnt no getting it reduced any more, I HATE LIVING IN NEW YORK STATE!
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 09-19-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Future SVT rider
Banned

I have never heard of anything like that.

I'm very happy to not live in NY.
650$ for a speeding ticket is waaaaaaay too much!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 05:47 PM   #8
focusin
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Re: Driver Responsibility Program in NY *SUCKS*

Quote:
Originally posted by Future STV rider
I'm NOT gonna pay because anyway i'm from Canada and they just cannot suspend my driver license here.
While that's a great way to screw them over I hope you never get pulled over in the U.S. again b/c you will then have a warrant out for your arrest.

So you can get pulled over for a license plate light being out, speeding, headlights being too bright or just suspicion and get arrested.

That would suck twice as hard.
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 09-19-2006, 06:06 PM   #9
Future SVT rider
Banned

Huuum rigth.I'm not planning any moves in USA for a while.That's what they want i guess piss off the population.

Thanks for the warning tho.Remember,i have paid my ticket.It's this new(2004) stupid surcharge that i didn't pay.I'm not sure they will raise a warrant for "this".

Last edited by Future SVT rider; 09-19-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
back in black
Focus Addict

Fan#: 25399
What I Drive: Black 07 ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 back in black Good Standing Member
Re: Re: Driver Responsibility Program in NY *SUCKS*

Quote:
Originally posted by focusin
While that's a great way to screw them over I hope you never get pulled over in the U.S. again b/c you will then have a warrant out for your arrest.

So you can get pulled over for a license plate light being out, speeding, headlights being too bright or just suspicion and get arrested.

That would suck twice as hard.
He wouldn't have to get pulled over, they would run his plates at the border as soon as he tries to get into the US.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->