warped rotor? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-09-2006, 04:18 AM   #1
pantherdan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37438
What I Drive: 09Fusion SEL SAP and 07Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 pantherdan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
warped rotor?

Ive had warped rotors before with the pulsing feeling and a clacking kind of noise when applying the brakes. I have that now on the front of my Sedan, but its different because it only happens after the car has been running awhile and the brakes are hot. After first start up, there is no warped rotor feeling, as it comes to a stop with no noise or pulse in the pedal. Is this really a warped rotor or is there some different problem? Has anyone seen something like this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
DJ Lukdogg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38235
What I Drive: 2006 Classic Silver Scion Tc

FF Reputation: 7 DJ Lukdogg Good Standing Member
It maybe a wheeling bearing giving away or tie rod and even ball joint you should check and inspect those first. If that all comes out fine i would assume it would be the rotors.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
Blurvfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 15299
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Wine Cooled Eng.

FF Reputation: 54 Blurvfocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My money's on one of the rotors. It's warping when it gets hot.

Could be a dragging brake that's causing the rotor to get so very hot. Next time this happens, go out there and see if you can tell if one brake or both brakes are hot. Do the rotors have heat spots, etc...

One if the good things about disc drakes is that they don't fade much. So you can have a ferociously hot brake and the car wouldn't necessarily pull to either side when you go to stop. Also, it could be a hind brake dragging- ebrake too tight & not releasing fully etc, and the heat takes the drum out of round.

Last edited by Blurvfocus; 09-09-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
pantherdan
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll check when I can. Gotta work this weekend so I cant look until I'm off on Tuesday. I hate replacing rotors because you may as well do them both and the pads while you are there...and it aint cheap or fast.

Friday I pulled the front wheels and the pads looked thick (well over a quarter inch) and I didnt notice any looseness that could be a bad bearing or tie rod. I wasnt looking for that, so I may not have noticed.

Stupid warranty! Stupid emissions! Stupid gas prices!
Old 09-10-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
I have seen a case or two where the rotor warping was due to the stress put on them from careless tightening of the wheel nuts. You might also consider loosening the wheels, and retightening them in the correct "star" sequence with the recommended 2 or 3 stage gradual torquing, e.g., tighten in a star pattern to half recommended torque, and then tightening again in a star pattern to final torque.

I did this once on a Taurus and the brake pulsing went away.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #6
pantherdan
Focus Enthusiast

I pulled both wheels today (at the same time to compare sides). I have found that the drivers side outer pad has a broken retainer clip - actually looks like it popped loose and wore off against the inside of the rim. I've not seen this type of clip before, but it looks like a coat hanger that wraps around part of the caliper to hold the pad steady. Surely this is making the pad loose and allowing it to move and make a noise when braking.

I also checked the half shaft joints and tie rods and etc. That all looks good and tight.

I am going to go ahead and replace pads and rotors, since the rotors are well worn. I'll let you know how it all works out.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:05 AM   #7
pantherdan
Focus Enthusiast

Looks like I had a warped rotor and a broken pad clip. After changing all the above, all is good. Thanks for any suggestions.

Stupid warranty! Stupid emissions! Stupid gas prices!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->