MY door handles aren't opening the car doors - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-13-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
SlammedZX3WI
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36471
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 SlammedZX3WI Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
MY door handles aren't opening the car doors

Ok, my passenger door went out about mid July. And then the last couple of days, I've noticed my drivers side door was getting tougher and tougher to open. Well, tonight when I was leaving the campus, I went to open my door and the handle just came out...not off...came out. And since my f'n pass. door is broken as well, I had to climb through my f'n hatch.

I noticed that I can open and close the drivers side door from the outside as long as I don't lock it. IF I do lock it, I can't open it from the outside. And If I unlock it from the outside, It still wont open...(Has to be opened from the inside)

it's really c'ed up

I tried spraying some PB blaster in it...and it did no good

1)Where do I spray the lube?
2)Do you have to work it in or what?
3)Is this a recall thing...I see ALOT of this on here

Thanks

/f'n pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
CowboyCasper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38717
What I Drive: 2001 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 CowboyCasper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Pop off the interior door panel, and tighten all of the internal screws, then lube with a silicone based spray lube.

I had a similar problem with my passenger side door handle. The insides just came loose.
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"), Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
Duffman355
Tasty Red Meat

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

Points 18,040, Level 85
Points: 18,040, Level: 85 Points: 18,040, Level: 85 Points: 18,040, Level: 85
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
there is no recall on door handles, but over time, many focus owners do experience some type of trouble with their door handles.
ST Crew #11 / SSR #5
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Old 09-14-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
DJ Lukdogg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38235
What I Drive: 2006 Classic Silver Scion Tc

FF Reputation: 7 DJ Lukdogg Good Standing Member
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Safety Recall 05S27: Supplement #2
Certain 2000 - 2005 Model Year Focus 4-Door, 4-Door Wagon, and 5-Door Vehicles Originally Sold In, Or Currently Registered In Corrosion States
Rear Door Latch Corrosion

REASON FOR THIS SUPPLEMENT

This bulletin is being re-issued with the following revisions:

The population of affected vehicles is being expanded to include certain 2003 through 2005 MY vehicles.
Some of the affected 2005 vehicles had the lower rear door seal installed during production. This safety recall still needs to be performed but it is not necessary to install a new lower door seal if one was installed in production.
AFFECTED VEHICLES

All 2000 - 2002 model year Focus 4-Door, 4-Door Wagon, and 5-Door vehicles built at Wayne Assembly Plant and originally sold in, or currently registered in corrosion states.
All 2002 model year Focus 4-Door, 4-Door Wagon, and 5-Door vehicles built at Hermosillo Assembly Plant and originally sold in, or currently registered in corrosion states.
All 2003 - 2004 and certain 2005 built through January 26, 2005, Focus 4-Door, 4-Door Wagon, and 5-Door vehicles built at Hermosillo and Wayne assembly plants and originally sold in, or currently registered in corrosion States.
The affected vehicles were originally sold in, or currently registered in, the following states and Canadian Provinces:

US States: Connecticut
Maryland
New York

Delaware
Massachusetts
Ohio

District of Columbia
Michigan
Pennsylvania

Illinois
Minnesota
Rhode Island

Indiana
Missouri
Vermont

Iowa
New Hampshire
West Virginia

Maine
New Jersey
Wisconsin

Canadian Provinces: New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Prince Edward Island

Newfoundland
Ontario
Quebec

Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. In addition, for a list of vehicles assigned to your dealership, visit https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com. This information will be available on November 9, 2005.

REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL

All rear door latches on 2000-2004 and some rear door latches on 2005 model year 4-door, 4-door wagon, and 5-door Ford Focus vehicles in recognized high corrosion areas of North America may experience corrosion in the pawl pivot area preventing proper engagement of the pawl into the catch. The customer may experience difficulty closing the rear door that may eventually progress to a point where the rear door may not latch properly. If not latched properly, the door may open while driving.

SERVICE ACTION

At no charge to the vehicle owner, dealers are to inspect, clean, and lubricate the rear door latches, install a lower rear door seal and informational label to the rear doors on all the affected vehicles. As a courtesy maintenance, dealers will also clean and lubricate the front door latches even though the front door latches are not part of this recall.

Note: Some 2005 MY vehicles were built with the door seal. Do not remove the existing door seal but do complete the rest of the service procedure.

If a rear door latch does not pass the prescribed inspection procedure as outlined in Attachment III, it will be replaced. A replacement latch must still have the cleaning and lubrication procedure performed using the approved Door Latch Repair Kit.

This recall must be performed on all of the affected vehicles in your new inventory as well as vehicles that have been delivered to customers.

PLEASE NOTE:

Federal law requires dealers to complete any outstanding safety recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $5,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory before delivery
Old 09-14-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
WuNgUnSVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15803
What I Drive: '02 Sonic Blue SVT Focus, '03 Wagon

Points 5,041, Level 45
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 34 WuNgUnSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
It's my belief that the interior door handle mechanics need to be lubed every year to avoid any problems...
'02 Sonic Blue SVT Focus
Old 09-15-2006, 02:57 AM   #6
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
"need to be lubed every year to avoid any problems..."

Are you talking about the stuff inside that requires removal of the door panel, or just to stuff that can be reached where the door latches?
Old 09-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #7
SlammedZX3WI
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36471
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 SlammedZX3WI Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by CowboyCasper
Pop off the interior door panel, and tighten all of the internal screws, then lube with a silicone based spray lube.

I had a similar problem with my passenger side door handle. The insides just came loose.
And this has worked for you???

I sprayed some PB Blaster an then a normal lube....and the drivers side door works now, but the pass. is f'ed!
Old 09-16-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
WuNgUnSVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15803
What I Drive: '02 Sonic Blue SVT Focus, '03 Wagon

Points 5,041, Level 45
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 34 WuNgUnSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by penguin
"need to be lubed every year to avoid any problems..."

Are you talking about the stuff inside that requires removal of the door panel, or just to stuff that can be reached where the door latches?
Yes, you have to pull the inner door skin off to get to it...
It's basically cause by the failure of the mechanism to fully return to the home position...and worse yet, the mechanism is designed in such a way that the outer handle is single action, meaning it will pull the latch, de-activating the retaining hook, but it can not return it back to it's normal position...it relies on a spring to do so.
You'll probably notice some 'play' in your outer handle when this is occuring...
And it worse cases, the door won't latch shut properly, leaving it open...
'02 Sonic Blue SVT Focus
Old 09-17-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
KAG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23149
What I Drive: 2005 ZX5 SE

FF Reputation: 1 KAG Good Standing Member
DJ Lukdogg - Thanks for posting the info.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I had this happen to me last winter (and now my passenger door is starting to show signs of it as well), all I did was pop out the inner panel and sprayed the latch on the inside of the door with some WD-40 and then pushed it with a screwdriver until it started to move on its own. I was to the point where I'd leave my window down enough that I could reach inside and pull on the latch...definite pain-in-the-ass when this happens.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.