Replacing a turn signal switch - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
Paul Hein
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 38876
FF Reputation: 1 Paul Hein Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Replacing a turn signal switch

My turn signal will not turn off when the steering wheel returns to the neutral position after a turn.
My guess is the switch is broken and I wanted to know if replacing this switch is easy to do or not? If it is do able can someone give me directions on how to replace it?
Any idea the cost of the switch?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
If you're going to replace the whole switch...no. The entire stalk assembly pops out and unplugs. But the problem may not be in the switch itself, but in the clockspring in the steering column that pushes the switch back into the off position after the wheel has gone far enough in either direction.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
mscott827
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14631
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus LX Burnt Orange

FF Reputation: 1 mscott827 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I had this problem. It is something I would only recommend a professional do. They work around the air bag. It's a little plastic thing in there that tells the steering wheel to turn the turn signal off. It more than likely broke. I had mine replaced last year.
SEDAN REVOLUTION #30
Old 09-19-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
dchoward1977
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16096
What I Drive: 2000 Cloud 9 White Focus LX sedan

FF Reputation: 1 dchoward1977 Good Standing Member
Yeah, it's the clock spring. It's not too hard to replace. Mine's been done 3 times now 'cause they keep failing. Luckily the fail within the 1 year/12,000 mile part warranty. There's a TSB on this that mentions a spacer they're supposed to put in to keep it from happening. I just swapped in a tilt/telescope column from an '04, and when I took everything apart I found that they DID NOT put the spacer in the last time I had it done. The new column had one though, just a yellow plastic ring. You could do the job yourself if your warranty's up. If you want to know how just PM me. I just so happen to have a complete steering column lying around, clocksprings aren't cheap, at least $60 new I think. FordParts.com has them, of find one at a junkyard. What year's your car?

"My third gear went out. I put a new one in but the car didn't like it so it didn't use it."--My idiot neighbor

Last edited by dchoward1977; 09-19-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

^
Not to hijack the thread, but how hard/easy was the steering column swap?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:42 PM   #6
dazada
4.0 makes it go

Fan#: 32321
What I Drive: 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport

FF Reputation: 9 dazada Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Re: Replacing a turn signal switch

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hein
My turn signal will not turn off when the steering wheel returns to the neutral position after a turn.
My guess is the switch is broken and I wanted to know if replacing this switch is easy to do or not? If it is do able can someone give me directions on how to replace it?
Any idea the cost of the switch?
Thanks.
It might not be the switch itself...check your turn signal fluid...lol

(I know, I know. )

Rock on.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:52 AM   #7
dchoward1977
Focus Enthusiast

Acutally I found it very easy. Disconnect battery, wait 10 minutes to make sure SRS system is discharged. Remove lower ash panel under column. Two bolts hold airbag on back of steering wheel. Disconnect the wires. Remove upper and lower shrouds. I had to remove the steering wheel to reuse my old clockspring since the wiring plugs are different from 2000 to 2003. To make it easier just find a column from your same year if you can, but switching clockspings isn't hard, they just clip on. Other than that, just disconnect the turn signal and wiper switches, and the PATS connector. The wiring harness is held onto the bottom of the column by some plastic plugs, just pull it off. You have to swap out your ignition cylinder, stick your key in and turn it to the first position. There's a little hole on the barrel, stick a small scrwdriver in there and pop it out. The column is held in with 4 bolts, one is a Torx bolt, with one more bolt down by the floor on the shaft. Reassemble in reverse order. It makes a HUGE difference having tilt and telescope now. I can finally get comfy behind the wheel instead of having to be way too close to the pedals, and now have a leather wheel to boot. Only cost me a ben, well worth it to me. Should I make a sticky with Photos, maybe?

"My third gear went out. I put a new one in but the car didn't like it so it didn't use it."--My idiot neighbor

Last edited by dchoward1977; 09-20-2006 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #8
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Yeah, go for it, especially if you have pictures of the install steps. I've been kicking around doing this for a while...Focus Salvage sells the column for $125 shipped, the only thing I've been hesitant on was the wiring (I recently installed the Ford Racing cruise control kit so I was poking around in the steering column,) but if its easy like you're saying this will probably be the next thing I do
Old 09-20-2006, 02:19 PM   #9
dchoward1977
Focus Enthusiast

If you put the cruise kit in, the column swap should be no problem for you. I'll should be able to get a how-to with pics up tonight, including replacing the clockspring, and see if I can get a mod to sticky it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks