Michigan people - Page 8541 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Regional Forums > Great Lakes Fanatics

Great Lakes Fanatics Serving the Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin regions.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #85401
klodkrawler05
Sooooooooooo EURO

Fan#: 47771
What I Drive: BMW's

FF Reputation: 26 klodkrawler05 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdwales View Post
have any of you guys worked at a garage/shop? may want to work at one before considering on opening one up. got to deal with bs customer stuff, getting wrong parts ordered becuase comunication break down. parts guy sending you wrong part. all of a sudden customer decides they want their car and its in peices, dealing with waiters compared to drop off cars(where money is).

also try to order a part, tried all your venders and they either dont carry it/wrong part/cheap part that wont work. what about warrenty? on parts? labor?

i deal with this stuff daily. also who makes sure people get paied? payrol, paying for parts etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdwales View Post
also think or diagnosing a car, charge $95 to diag a car, spend 2hrs on it, and you cant find anything wrong becuase its intermittent. do u charge them? or not becuase u want good customer service, how can u charge for something u failed ot diag? or what happens if you cant fix it? ecu issue?
these are actually all very good points and would be things that would have to be thought through/handled/game planned ahead of time.

also disclaimer.....I'm not saying this is an awesome best idea ever type thing.

and I've over simplified every aspect of it here on FF but there are tons of little issues like that to deal with/think about.

what if someone steals your tools? who deals with angry customers who would still blame you even though it was completely their fault something breaks?

there are tons and tons of issues/logistics to work out with a shop like this if one was to actually attempt it.

thankfully you do avoid a large portion of the customer BS by having them do the majority of the work themselves. obviously as soon as you get into a scenario where you're doing the work for people then you're immediately dealing with all the issues Scott brought up.

that actually may be another advantage of partnering with a school.....I'm thinking of people who took cars to KCTC to have work done. they can't charge for labor because it's a school but because people were getting it for free/cheaper they were willing to wait a bit longer etc.

Lots and lots and lots to look into.

actually I'm probably going to do an in depth study of the whole concept and then invite interested people to a brainstorming meeting to discuss ideas/problems/etc.
'99 Triumph Daytona - Death Machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #85402
egman2005
Slow n lifted

Fan#: 44983
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 21 egman2005 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Scott it would be a you do your own work garage.

And 20 to 30 an hr seems like very little money to be made when all costs added up.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #85403
klodkrawler05
Sooooooooooo EURO

Fan#: 47771
What I Drive: BMW's

FF Reputation: 26 klodkrawler05 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by egman2005 View Post
Scott it would be a you do your own work garage.

And 20 to 30 an hr seems like very little money to be made when all costs added up.

sure but star bucks is $5 a cup......its all about volume.

$20-30 an hour times 2-3 lifts helps, and the costs you are incruing are relatively small.

you'd have to occasionally maintain the lifts/tools but you really dont have a ton of overhead costs like the average business.

again this is basically a what-if type situation and I've done next to no research on it at this point so it could very well be impossible to make profitable. Perhaps there is a reason nobody has done this before at least that I can find.
'99 Triumph Daytona - Death Machine
Old 08-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #85404
starfuryt550
I Speed Often.

Fan#: 18440
What I Drive: Audi S4, Turbo ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 starfuryt550 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (57)
Massive is gonna send me a brand new set of control arms with their new, heavier, and more reinforced design in a few weeks free because the other one got the bend somehow.

Awesome!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #85405
beat3rfocus
I hate you!!!!!

Fan#: 3178
What I Drive: Red 1990 Miata Hardtop

FF Reputation: 11 beat3rfocus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Pb blaster, wd40, etc, towels, kitty litter, msds sheets, safety glasses, gloves. There is a ton to worry about, enforce. Also what ase mechanic will sit around all day, making minimum wage until help is needed?

Also someone rents a bay for 3 hours, you have it booked immediately after, person is waiting, current user is 20 min plus clean up from being done, who wins that battle? You need time between each session to go thru tool boxes, inspect tools, clean bays, eyc, but it is money lost if bay isnt rented out.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #85406
06_infrared_zx4
Teddy_Ruxbin

Fan#: 91369
What I Drive: 2006 Infra-Red ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 4 06_infrared_zx4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfuryt550 View Post
Massive is gonna send me a brand new set of control arms with their new, heavier, and more reinforced design in a few weeks free because the other one got the bend somehow.

Awesome!
Bitchin'!! Post some pics when you get 'em. I wanna see the difference.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #85407
starfuryt550
I Speed Often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_infrared_zx4 View Post
Bitchin'!! Post some pics when you get 'em. I wanna see the difference.

Will do! They're paying for shipping, as well as 2 free shirts and shipping of old ones back so they can try and determine what happened. They've sold dozens and none have bent before, as far as I've ever seen.

I didn't race it...it's not lowered, alignment was -1.1% max once they were on, so almost perfectly straight. Who the Eff knows lol.

I'll post pics for sure. Great customer service!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #85408
06_infrared_zx4
Teddy_Ruxbin

Fan#: 91369
What I Drive: 2006 Infra-Red ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 4 06_infrared_zx4 Good Standing Member
That makes me feel a little better about getting their adjustable end-links, eventually.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #85409
starfuryt550
I Speed Often.

Ya. Dom's are the same design as the originals I have for camber...just odd what happened.

Anyways, a more reinforced design is def positive!
I'm still gonna get their rear toe arms and front endlinks for my focus sometime.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #85410
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

FF Reputation: 16 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by beat3rfocus View Post
Pb blaster, wd40, etc, towels, kitty litter, msds sheets, safety glasses, gloves. There is a ton to worry about, enforce. Also what ase mechanic will sit around all day, making minimum wage until help is needed?
You can charge for almost all of those things... (As well as sell oil, grease, hell even some basic parts like wipers, light bulbs etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat3rfocus View Post
Also someone rents a bay for 3 hours, you have it booked immediately after, person is waiting, current user is 20 min plus clean up from being done, who wins that battle? You need time between each session to go thru tool boxes, inspect tools, clean bays, eyc, but it is money lost if bay isnt rented out.
If they go over, there is a fee assigned to it. say twice the hourly rate. So if it's $35 an hour, and they go over 30 mins. they owe $35 for that half hour, and then you recoup some money lost. Also you could schedule people with a gap in between. These aren't big issues, or issues other companies don't face. Dentists, doctors, etc all deal with the scheduling issues, as do almost any customer related company. Your hourly rate is going to be dependent on expenses, etc.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
aku & oberon, ff men cursed, hide yo kids, hide yo wife, in before the lock, kyle is troll king, mi euro-trash thread, toots was here