Michigan people - Page 8540 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Regional Forums > Great Lakes Fanatics

Great Lakes Fanatics Serving the Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin regions.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #85391
klodkrawler05
Sooooooooooo EURO

Fan#: 47771
What I Drive: BMW's

FF Reputation: 26 klodkrawler05 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesvt720 View Post
Was talking with a buddy, what if you partnered with a school to do this garage? (like GRCC or something) You have students be the techs, they can earn $$ while they go to school. (And maybe even credit?) And you could get grants to offset cost... Hmm.
Thats a possibility, theres one called the shade tree garage that is on a Navy base and the navy mechanics work there during off times

interesting idea with schools doing the work though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat3rfocus View Post
What happens when someone needs a part that cannot be had locally, car cannot be lowered/moved for 3 days?

What sort of work would prevent a car from being lowered/moved for 3 days? or even moved on Dolly's like Kyle posted? I'd say it gets handled just like a shop would handle it. you move it off the hoist/out of the way and you put it back on the hoist once you have the part. Dollys are available to rent if needed.

What happens when you lift someones car and it looks like the red bmw?

Not my problem, and you already signed the waiver and proved you have your own insurance....I guess you're , just like you would be if you took it to a real shop. I'm talking about running this like a business if I was going to do it at all.

What happens when you assist someone and you snap a bolt on their car? Who pays for the time to extract it, and repair it?

The shop would cover the cost of the bolt if their ASE certified mechanic broke it just like any other shop. If you're working on your car and you broke it? well tough shit, just like if you were working on it at home. Thankfully the shop would have a well stocked hardware selection on hand and would be under 20minutes away from NAPA if parts needed to be ordered/purchased that were un-expected.

Also seeing how some projects have gone (month long brake job on benz), trans fix on g, etc do you trust yourself to work on other peoples cars, or what do you do in those cases?

Nope, and I wouldnt. unless I went through the classes.......only ASE certified mechanics would be allowed to assist customers with working on their cars. any of the trained "techs" (read employees) could raise and lower the cars on the hoist after being properly trained but they wouldn't be able to work on the cars.

See above answers, if parts needed to be ordered/found then the car could be rolled out of the garage and sit in the parking lot for X amount of days before you begin to accrue a fee for it sitting in the lot.

The whole goal of this would be to run it as a business. not as a friend. I'm doing it to make business I'd be treating people as customers not friends, it'd be hard at times seeing things go bad for friends when they were working on something but hey, I'm doing this to make money and I'm not going to lose money on you because your my friend.

I think thats the mindset you'd need if this was going to be successful.

Quote:
Those are issues that woudl have to be figured out. Probably roll it out and put it on blocks...
I agree
'99 Triumph Daytona - Death Machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #85392
Aku
Sneeze

Fan#: 57726
What I Drive: 04 R32T, 94 CBR

FF Reputation: 4 Aku Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
All of what Klod just said.

If shit breaks its their fault they deal with it. We'd kindly move the car outside until they return with the proper replacement parts. ezpz
Old 08-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #85393
klodkrawler05
Sooooooooooo EURO

Quote:
Originally Posted by egman2005 View Post
If rolled out on blocks then would need gated storage area which means more liability insurance and all that other shit.
Quote:
Umm Bullshit? My uncle owns a shop and they have no garage, he parks vehicles that are waiting for parts outside regularly. If it gets vandalized, stolen, or messed with, the person's insurance covers it. Exactly the same as if it was in your driveway awaiting repairs. You roll it out on dollys, and you put it on blocks. It's simple.
This.

plenty of shops dont have gated storage. obviously gated would be nice but not an immediate need.

insurance is going to be the huge expense here I agree about that.

ideally it'd be awesome to have 6-10 lifts and a gated storage area and even storage units for people to keep long term projects/garage queens in. But I'm saying start small........something more like 3 lifts and 3 garage stalls.

$20-35ish for a lift stall, $5-10ish for a floor stall with no lift.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #85394
klodkrawler05
Sooooooooooo EURO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aku View Post
All of what Klod just said.

If shit breaks its their fault they deal with it. We'd kindly move the car outside until they return with the proper replacement parts. ezpz
zactly. its going to be 4 days before your part arrives? ok we'll help you move it outside.

o you'll be back in an hour? ok we'll see you soon. thanks for the $35 additional income
Old 08-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #85395
Aku
Sneeze

not to break up the intelligent discussion or anything but I just lost it

Also someone posted this on vortex

And the immediate response was "What if you walked in and some asian dude named Sai Loon was listening to cats"
Old 08-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #85396
sjdwales
Wales!!

Fan#: 46854
What I Drive: 11 mustang

FF Reputation: 13 sjdwales Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
have any of you guys worked at a garage/shop? may want to work at one before considering on opening one up. got to deal with bs customer stuff, getting wrong parts ordered becuase comunication break down. parts guy sending you wrong part. all of a sudden customer decides they want their car and its in peices, dealing with waiters compared to drop off cars(where money is).

also try to order a part, tried all your venders and they either dont carry it/wrong part/cheap part that wont work. what about warrenty? on parts? labor?

i deal with this stuff daily. also who makes sure people get paied? payrol, paying for parts etc.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #85397
06_infrared_zx4
Teddy_Ruxbin

Fan#: 91369
What I Drive: 2006 Infra-Red ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 4 06_infrared_zx4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
"What if you walked in and some asian dude named Sai Loon was listening to cats"

- Think about it, makes sense.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #85398
Aku
Sneeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdwales View Post
have any of you guys worked at a garage/shop? may want to work at one before considering on opening one up. got to deal with bs customer stuff, getting wrong parts ordered becuase comunication break down. parts guy sending you wrong part. all of a sudden customer decides they want their car and its in peices, dealing with waiters compared to drop off cars(where money is).

also try to order a part, tried all your venders and they either dont carry it/wrong part/cheap part that wont work. what about warrenty? on parts? labor?

i deal with this stuff daily. also who makes sure people get paied? payrol, paying for parts etc.
Again, Wouldn't be our problem. We wouldn't be suppling specific parts. This would be a place to use the lift/tools to install the parts you already have.

Payroll would deff have to be worked out for sure but that's a smaller issue comparatively
Old 08-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #85399
jwill2489
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78236
What I Drive: 2003 SVT JRSC w/BBK

FF Reputation: 4 jwill2489 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
nvm apparently link wont work, but it worked when i pasted it to brad on fb
Old 08-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #85400
sjdwales
Wales!!

Fan#: 46854
What I Drive: 11 mustang

FF Reputation: 13 sjdwales Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
also think or diagnosing a car, charge $95 to diag a car, spend 2hrs on it, and you cant find anything wrong becuase its intermittent. do u charge them? or not becuase u want good customer service, how can u charge for something u failed ot diag? or what happens if you cant fix it? ecu issue?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
aku & oberon , ff men cursed , hide yo kids , hide yo wife , in before the lock , kyle is troll king , mi euro-trash thread , toots was here
-->