Yugo? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
jsven007
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 38819
FF Reputation: 3 jsven007 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford Yugo?

New guy

So I bought an 02' Focus SE with 69k, hoping for a reliable, economical car. However, to my dismay, the car has all of the following ailments:

1) Creak, rattle, from front suspension area
2) 'Cd error' from cd changer
3) Abs light on, abs not functional
4) Oil leak from valve cover

Now, I got a decent deal on the car, but with 70,000 miles and only 4 years on it, why the heck should these problems be present? At first I thought, the original owner abused the car and neglected it. I must have bought a real lemon. But, after reading the forums at least 3 out of the 4 defects are common among Focuses.

The car has only 70k, why on earth should the valve cover be leaking?
And the Cd-changer can't be relied on for 4 lousy years?
And the suspension makes such a racket it gives me a headache...

Is this the Yugo of Fords??

There are so many recalls and TSBs for this car, Ford must of built an entire library to house them all. Ford lost how much, and is laying off how many workers? Ford, get a freaking clue!!!

Last edited by jsven007; 09-06-2006 at 09:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
mofocus
mefocuslongtime

Fan#: 5
What I Drive: Beltfed,extra pullified,weeemachine

FF Reputation: 6 mofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
cant say ive had any of those problems, nor have i hard of anyone haivng any of them commonly
Old 09-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #3
DJ Lukdogg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38235
What I Drive: 2006 Classic Silver Scion Tc

FF Reputation: 7 DJ Lukdogg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well we did have the FORD FESTIVA which is pretty close and MR. BILL FORD himself stepped down from the company yesterday and now we have some new guy thats from another company not even close to ford so you can see what we are going thru.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #4
dazada
4.0 makes it go

Fan#: 32321
What I Drive: 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport

FF Reputation: 9 dazada Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Lukdogg
Well we did have the FORD FESTIVA which is pretty close and MR. BILL FORD himself stepped down from the company yesterday and now we have some new guy thats from another company not even close to ford so you can see what we are going thru.
Well supposedly the new guy in charge of Ford turned around the Boeing company when he was with them.

Rock on.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:47 AM   #5
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
My girlfriend's 2000 hatch doesn't have any of those problems, but then again, it was made in Mexico.

For the suspension, try tightening the swaybar endlinks. They might need to be replaced. They do wear out after awhile.

ABS could be several things. First, check the fuse. If thats ok, check all the sensors. If they are ok, then the computer has an error. (or it could be a problem with the signal ring)

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 09-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,353, Level 98
Points: 27,353, Level: 98 Points: 27,353, Level: 98 Points: 27,353, Level: 98
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Didn't you drive it before you bought it?

Any company can build the most reliable car ever, and any company can build a lemon. I've known of K-cars that went 500k+, and Toyotas that were in and out of the shop continuously at 20k.

I don't know about the older CD players, but mine gives me problems every once in a while when I switch back and forth from MP3 discs to standard discs. The other issues sound like basic age issues. Valve covers do tend to seep over time. If the previous owner had the timing belt replaced at 60k, then it might not be Ford's fault.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
Goat Roper
The Godfather

Fan#: 8634
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 Goat Roper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Are you trying to play CDs you burnt yourself, because it probably doesn't like them.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #8
iantm
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4167
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3 SE MTX

FF Reputation: 3 iantm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My 02 zx3 has been nothing short of problematic (hencho en mexico). So far, we're on transaxle number 4, steering rack #3, and ignition switch #3. The O2 sensor appears to have failed again (the last time this happened was while it was under the 3/36). The car seems to have some kind of gremlin in the braking system (eats consumables quickly - no I didn't go cheap - motorcraft parts) and the clutch makes a whooshing noise whenever I press it. The front end also has a nasty creak and rattle issue as well. The valve cover gasket also needed replaced at 54k. I'm presently at 71k, and I feel your pain.

As for quality being job one, I rather doubt it. As for the Focus being a great car, I'm sure it is for some people. However, I was under the impression that my car wouldn't start having chronic problems until 100k (like previous american cars that have been owned by my family), so I assumed that I'd have a good solid car that would last me a while. I was a little off.

If you put less than 12k miles on your focus in a year, it's a safe bet that the car is going to be rock solid and reliable because the car doesn't appear to have been built with heavier use than that in mind. My previous car was a 99 Contour - took six months and 30k miles worth of driving without complaints. This focus, well, not so much. I've been regretting buying this car and have been plotting to get rid of it since about six months after I bought it (when transaxle #2 was put in). Now that I'm no longer upside down, I'm going to sell it and buy a late 80's early 90's vintage Volvo with 200k+ miles on it. You may think I'm insane, but the typical Volvo with over 200k has a better reliability track record with lower repair costs than my focus has. Needless to say, I can live with repairs or a car payment - not both.

The focus is a great car until you hit about 50k. That's when the chronic failures seem to start hitting, and seemingly in a string with little to no warning and very little time between the hits. As for the factory cd player, mine has been the only part of the car to not have problems (knocking on wood very very hard right now). Doesn't matter whether they are store bought or burnt, it plays them without complaint. Good luck with Ford customer service as well, they'll laugh at you for assuming that the car should realistically last more than four years without major component failure.
MacBook Pro 15"
Old 09-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
pio
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 198
What I Drive: 2014 focus electric

FF Reputation: 2 pio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally posted by iantm
My 02 zx3 has been nothing short of problematic (HECHO en mexico).
what do the place where the car was assembled has to do with the quality of the car...
thats just plain stupid...

hencho is not a word...
Old 09-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #10
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 232,586, Level 100
Points: 232,586, Level: 100 Points: 232,586, Level: 100 Points: 232,586, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Mine has had none of those issues!!!

Grease the front of the suspension, take you 15 minutes. Squeek should be gone. Try spray white lithium grease, it is quick and easy.

New valve cover gasket, easy, take you less than an hour.

Abs, Hmmm, don't know. mine doesn't have abs

Cd changer, try unplugging the battery for 15 minutes to reset it, do this while greasing the suspension pivots.

Three of 4 problems solved in less than 1 hour of maintenance.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.