Emissions test passed with ORP - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
anonymous
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 65486
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 anonymous Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Emissions test passed with ORP

I have a quick question, may be an easy one or maybe I got lucky. I just got my emissions tested about an hour ago(WA state, renton) and I passed. The paper they gave me didn't have much info on it, so I went to the site for the records. Under the test results where it says "catalyst" it says "not ready", and when I looked at the previous 2 tests for my car it says "ready". Did they just miss that part since its not throwing a code? Or is this normal for it to pass anyway? I have Toms tune, so there is no code. I was more worried about how on my X3 it always says "system readiness not complete", but I didn't see that anywhere on the records. The real question is.. how did I pass without a cat? even if they knew... Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Be happy you passed lol

Some states require one or more failures or not ready's to fail. Having the cat not ready obviously didn't cause a problem and everything else must have been fine. I also pass without a cat, I have done it using a cheater and a tune with no problems. But I don't want everyone to think they can pass as some fail like I said, it all depends on the local and state laws.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 03-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
anonymous
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

That's true, If it was a visual inspection I would def fail. Don't try this at home kids! Or in Cali.. Maybe I should have titled the thread something different. I just figured that the tune would trick my ecu into thinking I had a cat, so it would still say "ready". I still have the stock cat just in case.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Even a visual inspection doesn't tell them much, and honestly do they know what every make and model looks like under the hood? They probably don't though I'm sure in California they have pictures since they are smog Nazi's over there lol

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 03-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
'....it all depends on the local and state laws.'

....and how they apply them.....

Here in Texas they do what they want, there is a clause that allows them to fail anything they 'do not feel good about', what a crock of sh-t there. I've been failed for horn not clearly marked because the center steering wheel cover was gone, the horn activating ring was still in place and horn clearly worked hitting the center of wheel just like always. The guy failed me because the horn 'icon' embossed into the center cover was gone. Yet not having working airbags (light on as well) not a problem at all, go figure..............

I had to print out Texas Department of Public Safety inspection rules and then choked the inspector's boss with them to get it passed. Rules only say horn must 'be working' and nothing else.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
blkvenm97
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113513
What I Drive: 2k3 Infra Red zx3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 blkvenm97 Good Standing Member
Luckily we don't have emissions testing here in va...we do have to get an inspection done yearly but I know places to go to get passed...5 out of the 7 mustangs I previously owned all had offroad pipes and I always passed. The only thing to worry about is a loud exhaust ticket but I figure once I install an offroad pipe on the svt I can try to quiet it down a lot using a long resonator...then as long as I'm not on it hard right in front of a cop I should be good....always have been before....congrats on passing op
Old 03-20-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
anonymous
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I know some places will let certain things slide, but I've had to get a new gas cap just to pass emissions before. I just always thought it was illegal not to have a cat, and possibly get a fine for it also.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
snake eyes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41431
What I Drive: 2004 EAP black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 snake eyes Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
'....it all depends on the local and state laws.'

....and how they apply them.....

Here in Texas they do what they want, there is a clause that allows them to fail anything they 'do not feel good about', what a crock of sh-t there. I've been failed for horn not clearly marked because the center steering wheel cover was gone, the horn activating ring was still in place and horn clearly worked hitting the center of wheel just like always. The guy failed me because the horn 'icon' embossed into the center cover was gone. Yet not having working airbags (light on as well) not a problem at all, go figure..............

I had to print out Texas Department of Public Safety inspection rules and then choked the inspector's boss with them to get it passed. Rules only say horn must 'be working' and nothing else.
that's what they tell you do to when you go get your license. HOWEVER, most of the time if it wasn't in the book specifically to fail if xxxxx I didn't. As you saw best ammo you can have is the rules so when they try to pull crap like that you can call them out or call in the DPS that they have a shitty inspector (can backfire if your car is in fact, illegal. They arrested 2 guys when I was getting the inspectors license years ago, no longer have it as I have left the field).

As for OP, in Texas you can have one monitor "not ready" and the car will still pass state inspection since it only does a ecu/pcm read and not a sniffer here in obd counties. Intresting note, when the 2nd o2 sensor is turned off it will still pass (coworkers lighting passed with a tune that turned his off)
Old 03-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Rotaryrocket
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109773
What I Drive: 2003 Red SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Rotaryrocket Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I know some places will let certain things slide, but I've had to get a new gas cap just to pass emissions before. I just always thought it was illegal not to have a cat, and possibly get a fine for it also.
It is illegal to remove the cat on any vehicle in the state of Wa. Only certified emissions places are allowed to work on them. IF you are ever questioned as to why you don't have a cat, you simply tell them you bought the car that way...lol. I also have an ORP on mine, but luckily, there are no emissions testing up in Monroe.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:18 AM   #10
sandman503
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111841
What I Drive: 93, green, jeep ZJ

FF Reputation: 1 sandman503 Good Standing Member
DEQ exempt here.... Yea!

Bookmarks & Social Networks