FRPP STS from C-F-M - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Exclusive Vendor Discussions > Central Florida Motorsports

Central Florida Motorsports Discuss about performance and appearance upgrades for your Ford Focus.
Sponsored By: C-F-M.com

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-28-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
tdkaye1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 36991
What I Drive: 2006 Infra-Red ZX4 ST - SAP I

FF Reputation: 1 tdkaye1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
FRPP STS from C-F-M

Let me start by saying good service and liked the STS, but had an issue and was wondering if someone could assist me on it. I received my STS this weekend and went to install it and couldn't get it working properly. I installed it and the small black piece at the bottom of the shifter, that's connected to the black plastic runners on the side up to the metal piece below the shift ball, wouldn't let me go in reverse. Anyone have this problem as well? Anyways, I removed that, and the runners, and installed it with no further issues until I realized that while driving the shifter can be moved freely left or right while still retaining the gear. It kind of bothers me that it would move like that as compared to being stuck in the place the gear is suppose to sit on the stock. Think that black piece would have anything to do with that? If so, then what can I do about the reverse? It's in an '06 ST with the MTX75 trans and all the pieces looked the same to stock except that black piece on the base of the shifter. It blocks my reverse, ugh! Someone help!

Slowly but surely building the perfect animal.

ST Crew #000
Quote:
Originally posted by HempHound
Blue Lights=SEX LIGHTS cause someone is about to get fu%@#*

Last edited by tdkaye1; 08-28-2006 at 05:01 PM.
    Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
CFM Focus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1021
What I Drive: '01 ZX3 w/ Vortech

FF Reputation: 3 CFM Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
That is a reverse lockout. On the '06 models it is built in the tranny and it is not necessary to have one on the shifter. All DOHC Focus came with one up to the 2005 models. The pieces you left out are unnecessary and will not cause any problems. The shifter boot attaches to the lower part of the silver metal piece so I'm not sure what you did with the boot if you left that out.

You can do one of several things:

1. Find the spring that came in pre '06 models between the shift knob and the metal piece and have two reverse lockouts.

2. Order a reverse lockout delete from us and eliminate the lockout system and still have a place to attach the shifter boot. http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?Pag...OD&ProdID=1106
Old 08-28-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
tdkaye1
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by CFM Focus
That is a reverse lockout. On the '06 models it is built in the tranny and it is not necessary to have one on the shifter. All DOHC Focus came with one up to the 2005 models. The pieces you left out are unnecessary and will not cause any problems. The shifter boot attaches to the lower part of the silver metal piece so I'm not sure what you did with the boot if you left that out.

You can do one of several things:

1. Find the spring that came in pre '06 models between the shift knob and the metal piece and have two reverse lockouts.

2. Order a reverse lockout delete from us and eliminate the lockout system and still have a place to attach the shifter boot. http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?Pag...OD&ProdID=1106
The silver piece is still there, just the 2 black rails on the side and the black reverse lockout have been removed. I'm curious then, what would cause the play side to side on the shifter while in gear? It was installed per the instructions and rather easily but just this "situation" arose. Like I said, it works well and I'm happy with the whole experience, but was just curious as to the necessity of that piece and the play. You answered my first concern, any ideas on that second one? Thanks.

ST Crew #000
Quote:
Old 08-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
CFM Focus
FF Affiliate

Sounds to me like the plastic piece with the pivot ball is not on there properly. You took that one out to be able to take the piece that wouldn't let you go into reverse. Need to double check and make sure that is not moving. If that is not the problem then pull the shift boot up and move it side to side while in gear and see what is moving down there.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
tdkaye1
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by CFM Focus
Sounds to me like the plastic piece with the pivot ball is not on there properly. You took that one out to be able to take the piece that wouldn't let you go into reverse. Need to double check and make sure that is not moving. If that is not the problem then pull the shift boot up and move it side to side while in gear and see what is moving down there.
I think I made that sit properly, otherwise nothing should've fallen into place, right? I took the reverse lockout piece off by pulling everything off straight up, not through the bottom. I'll try what you suggest tomorrow and see if I get anything new out of it. All in all, everything went together smooth. The 4 screws were a pain to remove but went back in easy. Like I said, I'll give it a look tomorrow and report back my findings. Thanks again!

ST Crew #000
Quote:
Old 08-28-2006, 10:34 PM   #6
CFM Focus
FF Affiliate

I meant where the upper cable attaches to. The plastic piece with the metal ball that is held in place with the screw. That plastic piece slides down into a keyway on the shifter lever which keeps it from moving from side to side.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:00 PM   #7
tdkaye1
Focus Addict

Okay, gotcha on that. Yeah, I made sure to push it back into the keyway because the shifter cable was sitting too high, so high in fact I couldn't get the bootring back down so I knew it had to go further. I pushed it down until it stopped and then re-tightened the screw that is in it. The whole shifter has side to side play so I thought the seat might be off on it? I'll check it tomorrow but as far as I could tell I did everything by the numbers. I'll let you know if I find anything.

ST Crew #000
Quote:
Old 08-29-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
tdkaye1
Focus Addict

Well, think I may have solved the problem. I feel rather sheepish but since I tried to tighten the screws with a driver instead of a POWER SCREW DRIVER, they weren't in completely. Haven't driven it yet as I discovered this on my break at work so we'll see on the ride home. Just have to trim the boot plastic now. Didn't realize it was pushing the center piece up when I moved the shifter cable.

Oh well, still good product and great customer service!

ST Crew #000
Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.