MAC rear engine mount installed- my review/what's your experience - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-25-2006, 05:12 PM   #1
BostonSVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 36441
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black Euro SVT

FF Reputation: 1 BostonSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MAC rear engine mount installed- my review/what's your experience

I did some research when I first picked up my SVTF about 2 months ago and seems like the everyone said the things that really made the difference in this car was the rear engine mount, short throw shifter, and a tune/programmer.

I soon realized the bogging and occasional surging and got real tired of the bogging and resultant clatter sound when taking off from a stop, so I ordered a predator from Tom. I'm still waiting for the tune since my order was somehow lost, but I was told it will be here Monday... So yesterday I installed a MAC rear engine mount I got from someone here on the board, and on initial startup I immediately noticed the increased vibration. It sort of resonates through the inside of the car making it sound as if it has a louder exhaust tone. I then noticed the vibrations when I blipped the gas to back of the garage and got a very noticable vibration throughout the whole car. Once the clutch was out and I was moving the vibration wasn't that noticable at all, but you could feel a slight buzz if driving around 3K RPM.

That was the bad part of installing the mount... The good was how much better if shifts and takes off from a start!! I hardly ever go tearing off from the line and usually get some clattering sound which I thought was the clutch/flywheel, but since the mount was put in I realized it must have been the metal on the mount vibrating on the subframe. I get some heavy vibration now when taking off, but no clattering sound at all. The feel of the shifts is MUCH improved as well!!! downshifting or upshifting is like everyother car now; No hitching feeling from the engine moving back and forth.

Now I'm torn between the added vibration and how nice it is to shift. Should I keep the mount in or not??? Since I got my license when I was 16 I've had cars which have been less than daily drivers, but I used them that way, and the SVTF was the first car I thought I really didn't have to mod. It looks, drives, and handles awesome and has good power stock, but I thought I'd make these couple small mods to get it just right.

What's everyone elses honest experience with rear engine mounts and the amount of vibration you get when taking off from a light or in traffic? I got caught in some traffic today and it nearly rattled my teeth when taking off every 10 ft in stop and go traffic.

Maybe the tune will help this, but I'm not sure I can live with it despite how mch better it feels when driving.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
nickouellettesvt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33575
What I Drive: 2002 focus svt

FF Reputation: 2 nickouellettesvt Good Standing Member
I have the mac rear mount as well. I have vibration, but nothing teeth rattling. It vibrates bad if I dont give enough gas from a launch, but other than that I dont notice to much(well it also helps that I have my radio booming at all times lol). Shifting is excellent for me since the mount and the removal of the counter weight. I am happy with it and will definitly leave it in there for the time that I own this car.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
terrasmak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34474
What I Drive: 03 350Z Chrome Silver

FF Reputation: 1 terrasmak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Same here , i have the mount , once you get smoother on the clutch the vibe goes away a lot. Second the throttle responce when you give it gas in gear is so much better. I think the benifits are better than the downside or it.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
RecoilRob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
When I first installed the MAC and started it, I thought " What the HELL!! This vibration sucks!" Yes, the shifting and clutch action were MUCH improved but, I was on the fence about the vibration. My car sounded inside like the exhaust had fallen off with all the resonant booming going on.

After a couple hundred miles, the mount broke in and now is mostly transparent, though the benefits of the shifting and clutch accuracy remain. Seems that the bushings need a bit of time to loosen up a little.

My FS XCal 1 tune has the idle raised to 950 and that helps with the idle shake too. Unless you know what is up, when you ride in my car the vibration is not felt......unless the A/C is on and then it shakes a bit at idle. Not a big deal and FAR worth the benefits of the stiffer mount on the shifting and driveability of the car.

One thing to mention.....DON"T GREASE THE MAC MOUNT!!! Unless you hear it squeakiing....which you WON'T....there is NO reason to grease it. Most (if not all) MAC mounts that have had bushing failures have had incompatible grease applied by the zerk fittings. Unless you KNOW FOR SURE the grease you want to use is compatible with the bushings....DON"T USE IT!!

I really like the MAC mount and never hesitate to recommend it to people. It DOES have a minor amount of vibration below 900rpm but that can be easily worked around.

Oh, you will be able to notice the quality of your gas with the new mount installed. Cheap/low octane stuff WILL shake a LOT more......use the best gas you can find and it will be smoother. Also, my driving habits changed a bit with no more lugging below 2K anymore. The mount lets you feel the shaking if the engine is laboring MUCH better than the stock rubber mount.

Give the MAC some time and you will LOVE it!!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:53 PM   #5
pspringe
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 17992
What I Drive: 95 Metro, 03 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 pspringe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
WTF?

Kariertes Hemd und Samenstau, ich studier' Maschienenbau.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:28 PM   #6
nickouellettesvt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33575
What I Drive: 2002 focus svt

FF Reputation: 2 nickouellettesvt Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by pspringe
WTF?
Ummm ok...I dont know you tell me
Old 08-26-2006, 05:12 AM   #7
svt2nv04
SVT Fanatic

Fan#: 16592
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT; 1572 of 1978

FF Reputation: 31 svt2nv04 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Quote:
Originally posted by pspringe
WTF?
lol i think i know what you're talking about

i have the VF and i don't get a vibration
Old 08-26-2006, 08:46 AM   #8
Future SVT rider
Banned

Fan#: 35383
What I Drive: 2002 SVT-Piranha edition

FF Reputation: 17 Future SVT rider Great Standing Member
Do you have a pic?
Old 08-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #9
brideout
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 34911
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 brideout Good Standing Member
mount

I replaced my rear mount with a VF piece and I haven't noticed any vibration at all. The shifts and take offs are great. I also installed a FRPP shifter and I love the combo!

Rideout
Old 08-26-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
Spec3VR6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21309
What I Drive: 95 BMW M3

FF Reputation: 1 Spec3VR6 Good Standing Member
no vibrations here. Installed mine a year ago and it was most definitely a worthwhile mod. i would always consider motor mounts as one of the first must have mods for a car. Just makes everything that much more efficient.

for the money the MAC mount is up towards the top easily.

Bookmarks & Social Networks