2008 Focus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-15-2006, 03:57 AM   #1
SpcghostII
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36655
What I Drive: 2012 Black Mustang

Points 1,397, Level 20
Points: 1,397, Level: 20 Points: 1,397, Level: 20 Points: 1,397, Level: 20
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 SpcghostII Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2008 Focus

Don't know if I am going to like the front end or not. Sorry if this is a repost thread.

My favorite quote."Be warned, torque is an addictive drug, so use with caution"
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
pio
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 198
What I Drive: 2014 focus electric

FF Reputation: 2 pio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
i hope it is not only a front change...
the ford focus has 7 years on the US market and almost 10 on the rest of the world...
i hope ford stop recycling the platform and give us the new focus platform...
Old 08-15-2006, 08:52 AM   #3
SVT Robzor
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26230
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 5 SVT Robzor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
There's not much they could do to the front end to make me like the 4 door anyway. I'll reserve final judgement, but for now I'm not really impressed.

Whether the changes are more than skin deep is mostly meaningless to me anyway. Unless they offer the 2.3 with a better output in their (now discontinued?) hatchback style, I'm nowhere near impressed. Unless their coupe is drop-damn-dead gorgeous.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
EggYolkBill

Fan#: 8
What I Drive: '14 Escape Titanium w/401A package

Points 4,556, Level 43
Points: 4,556, Level: 43 Points: 4,556, Level: 43 Points: 4,556, Level: 43
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 21 EggYolkBill Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That is an extremely old test mule pic. There are more recent pics that show a complete reskin.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
eazyrider_tim
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7011
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES Gloss Black

FF Reputation: 2 eazyrider_tim Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Where can I order the Fusion style grille, love it.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
pio
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 198
What I Drive: 2014 focus electric

FF Reputation: 2 pio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
o my GOD..
.i just read..
in 2008 WE are gonna get a COUPE !!!!!

wooooohooooooooo !

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs...608020385/1148

Quote:
Big plans for tiny Focus

Wayne plant stands to gain from redesigns

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

Advertisement
Movie of the Month
GET FREE HEADLINES BY E-MAIL

John T. Greilick / The Detroit News

Ford Focus doors wait to be painted and installed at the Wayne Stamping and Assembly Plant. See full image

Brenda Priddy / Special to The Detroit News

The 2008 Ford Focus will have a remade front end that includes a two-bar front grille. Ford will show off the refreshed version at the Detroit auto show. See full image

John T. Greilick / The Detroit News

WAYNE -- A few years ago, Ford Motor Co.'s Michigan Truck plant was churning out big SUVs and big profits while its car plant down the road in Wayne quietly cranked out small cars that fewer and fewer Americans wanted.

Now, the tables appear to be turning.

The same skyrocketing gasoline prices that have knocked the bottom out of the SUV market could help bolster the future of the fuel-efficient Focus and the Wayne Stamping and Assembly Plant, which is making more vehicles than it has in years.

And instead of neglecting the Focus as it has in years past, Ford has big plans to improve the design, engineering and fuel efficiency of the little car. For example:

# Ford boosted the fuel economy of the Focus currently on the road by about 3 miles per gallon through engineering tweaks.

# In January, Ford will show off a refreshed version of the Focus at the Detroit auto show and begin selling it next summer, company sources told The Detroit News. The new design will feature a reworked front end and a bolder design patterned after the Ford Fusion sedan. The new car has room for only a two-bar chrome grille instead of the signature three-bar grille on the Fusion.

# Ford will also debut a two-door Focus coupe to complement its stable of offerings, which includes three- and five-door hatchbacks, a four-door sedan and a four-door wagon.

The refreshed Focus is "a lot stronger than a lot of people expected," said Jim Hall, an analyst with AutoPacific Inc. in Southfield, who has seen the new vehicle.

The new 2008 Focus will be an interim vehicle until Ford can turn out a more complete redesign of the car by 2010. That's when it plans to converge the U.S. Focus and the European Focus on the same platform, which will also underpin the future Mazda3 and Volvo C30, S40 and V70.

Shifting the Focus

Today, Ford sells a different version of the Focus to the rest of the world. The European-made Focus is a superior vehicle that features much more dynamic styling, better performance and superior quality. Many industry analysts have wondered why Ford cannot sell the European Focus -- widely regarded as one of the best small cars in the world -- in North America.

The answer is price. While the Focus fits snugly in the compact economy segment in the United States, it is considered a midsize car in most of the rest of the world. In fact, it is considered an upmarket vehicle in many countries and is priced accordingly.

For example, the sporty Focus Zetec starts at $25,491 in Britain, which is more than the price of a Ford Fusion, the next car up in Ford's domestic lineup. In the United States, prices for the Focus start at less than $14,000 -- and that is before rebates.

The Focus was originally designed for the European market in 1998, then redesigned for North America in 2000. Ford introduced a completely redesigned Focus for the European market in 2004 that was based on the Mazda3 platform. The company decided not to bring that vehicle to the United States because it doubted it could sell the new Focus for enough to cover the cost.

According to Hall, Ford is taking a different approach with the next-generation Focus, starting with the North American version of the automobile and working up from there. "It makes sense to design the base vehicle for the market with the greatest cost pressure," he said, explaining that it's easier to add on to a vehicle than take away content or features.

The American version of the next-generation Focus will still differ markedly from its European counterpart. It will still be aimed at a more cost-conscious segment of the market than its European sibling and it will still have to meet this country's more stringent safety requirements.

Hall expects the next-generation Focus to be in showrooms by the end of 2010 and projects the company could sell as many as 300,000 vehicles a year in this country if gasoline prices stay high.

Ford hopes the new versions of the Focus will boast better fuel economy than the 2007 model, which gets 27 miles per gallon in the city and 37 miles per gallon on the highway with a manual transmission.

That's 3 miles per gallon better than the 2006 version, thanks to some tweaking by Ford engineers.

"The engine had really been calibrated for emissions instead of fuel economy," said Nicholas Schubeck, supervisor of powertrain calibration for Ford.

Ford also has released a service fix so mechanics can retune 2006 models to get similar performance increases.

Focus sales were down 9.6 percent this year through July, but that's a far smaller drop-off than the company's SUVs have experienced.

Last year, the factory produced about 167,000 Focus cars. Another 22,000 were produced at Ford's plant in Hermosillo, Mexico. In October, North American Focus production was consolidated at Wayne.

This year, Ford expects to build about 215,000 vehicles in Wayne. To accommodate the increased production, Ford has sped up the line at Wayne. But Ford is not adding workers. In fact, about 190 workers have taken buyouts this year as part of the company's restructuring campaign, and Ford plans to offer about 50 more before the end of the year.

The increased production and reduced staff means more overtime for the plant's 2,850 hourly workers.

"In this economic environment, that's welcome news for them," said Kenneth Minielly, plant manager at Wayne. "This plant probably hasn't worked overtime in about four years."

Minielly holds regular "town hall" meetings with workers to update them on Ford's restructuring effort and has posted placards at prominent locations throughout the plant to remind workers that they are still not as competitive as their counterparts at Japanese-run factories.

"I'm brutally honest with them," said Minielly, a former line worker whose grandfather was among the first group of workers at Wayne when it opened in 1952.

"Ultimately, we're going to have to get competitive with the Japanese transplant plants in the South."

Bill Johnson, plant chairman of United Auto Workers Local 900, says workers are committed to helping the plant become world class.

"We know that we're in it together," he said. "We're either going to sink or swim together."

You can reach Bryce Hoffman at (313) 222-2443 or bhoffman@detnews.com.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:08 AM   #7
swk110
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9989
What I Drive: 2010 Red SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 swk110 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
To me here's the most important paragraph: "The new 2008 Focus will be an interim vehicle until Ford can turn out a more complete redesign of the car by 2010. That's when it plans to converge the U.S. Focus and the European Focus on the same platform, which will also underpin the future Mazda3 and Volvo C30, S40 and V70."
So who cares about yet another "refreshing" we're not getting a new focus until 2010. Assuming they're talking about the model year 2010, I don't know if I can keep my car going another 3 years. I also don't you'll see anything with an SVT badge until 2011. Looks like I'm in the market for a Pontiac G5 or a Mazda3.

Guess I should have read the whole article first. The new car "exepcts to be" in showrooms 2010. I don't like the current focus and I don't like the fusion, so I really doubt I'm going to be interested in a fusion-dressed focus.

buh-bye ford.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
iantm
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4167
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3 SE MTX

FF Reputation: 3 iantm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The coupe will most likely be a modified sedan body with zx3 doors. In essence, the only major engineering expense on that will be the rear windows and quarter panels. Then again, a new variation on an aged platform should breathe some life into the platform marketing wise, but not enough for it to be able to compete on anything other than price. Think of the way Cavaliers were for a good part of their production run. No real reason to buy for anything other than price (and the cavaliers were something special back in 1982-1985).

You can also expect a lukewarm craptacular return of the SVT focus, though it'll likely be nothing remotely as nice or special as the 02-04 SVT focus (in retrospect, I wish I'd spent the money one of those instead of my zx3). In short, expect the 08 focus to be more of the same, with no real revolutionary changes. About the only thing Ford could do to perk my ears up about the 08 focus is offer it with a turbodiesel from the factory. If Ford offered a turbodiesel focus at a reasonable price, they would own that market. An inexpensive focus that gets 60+ mpg? I'd risk quality issues for that, but not more of the same. There just isn't any real reason to move to a newer focus from my 02 zx3 (despite the fact that mine is falling apart and ford refuses to cover warranty claims).
MacBook Pro 15"
Old 08-15-2006, 10:52 AM   #9
HotRodWagon
CostraNostraTabasco

Fan#: 145
What I Drive: 02 Infra ZTW

Points 16,394, Level 82
Points: 16,394, Level: 82 Points: 16,394, Level: 82 Points: 16,394, Level: 82
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 25 HotRodWagon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (38)
In 2010, the Focus will be moving upmarket. By then, Ford will be offering a B-segment vehicle in the price slot the Focus is now occupying. This refreshening and new coupe offering in the interim is liable to be a very solid car, with ample aftermarket support, at a reasonable price. Ford cannot compete without a B segment vehicle, so the Focus has to be competitive price wise. I would expect incentives to continue at a decent amount till the 2010 model year. With the all new platform and design, coupled with a B segement offering in the lineup, the 2010 Focus is going to lose it's low entry price and enticing incentives.

The 08-09 model will continue to be very reliable, and offer excellent fuel economy and a good warranty. A reskin is great news for enthusiasts since the aftermarket is healthy for the current suspension and drivetrains. I would not expect much in the way of ground effects, as the 2 year production cycle will not be much of an incentive for these manufacturers. The interior will be tweaked as well, and although the loss of the early edged interior design has miffed enthusiasts, the 08 should prove to be a nice design.

The message here is this: We get a reskin, a coupe, and interior tweaks...at a still attractive entry price. We already have a great aftermarket for suspension and drivetrain and can expect excellent fuel economy as well. Sure, the 2010 model will be a departure, and certainly provide things like side curtain air bags, along with the new look/interior/ and perhaps drivetrain. But the pricing will certainly be higher.

So is this 08 a loss....no way. It has a huge silver lining for those who see it for what it is as opposed to what it is not.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:56 AM   #10
hotdealz25
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32723
What I Drive: its better then yourz

FF Reputation: 1 hotdealz25 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
this really blows i guess all our dreams of a turbo focus and all that jazz are up in smoke!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.