Stock srt-4 vs stock svtf - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-14-2006, 07:41 PM   #21
sr focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34006
What I Drive: '08 350z silver alloy

FF Reputation: 1 sr focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i think the svt because it was built for that and far as i know about the neon from the factory, it was meant more for straight aways. i read it in a old issue on scc when the yellow srt first came out and they test drove it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2006, 06:37 AM   #22
Venom713
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35546
What I Drive: 02 Red SVTF, 06 Black EVO IX SE

FF Reputation: 1 Venom713 Good Standing Member
Well my best friend Still has his SRT-4... he was giong to trade his in but the Car Dealer he was working with, well, was a huge prick and wouldnt budge off of the Price.

But... Upon my first AutoX race i ended up beating my friend by alittle over 3 seconds. I've drive'n his car alot and done alot of comparison driving... Straits, turns, twisty's and braking...

Straits. If you ever get the chance to drive a SRT-4 and try and drag it you will realize that its a very hard car to get off the line fast. First gear is VERY short, leaving you to shift at 30mph. Basicaly your roasting your tires through first. In my SVT I can get about a car and half lead on him out of first, and by the end of second he's about a wheel infront of me... you cant make up for Turbo Power...

Turns... When giving the SRT-4 throttle around a turn, MAJOR understeer... Unlike with the focus it seems more to stick... The SVT has body roll, but the SRT-4 has alot more body roll.

Twisty's... In the SVT its quite easy to take highspeed rights, and lefts... The SRT-4 its alot harder because it just has so much more body roll. also Noted, the SRT-4's Tires come standard as 205's. More power, more weight, less rubber.

Brakes... Even though Both cars have very very amazing brakes, the SVT seems to feel more solid when Brakeing hard.

Thats my 2 cents from a guy thats able to have the opertunity to drive both cars alot.

"The SVT Focus has all the goodies you would ever want, but it feels as coherent a driver's car as you can find this side of a BMW M3."
-Automobile Magazine's 2002 Best Coupe of The Year. The Ford SVT Focus.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #23
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
^^^Will the both of you be coming up to Waterloo on the 20th? I know that you were pretty sure, but life can throw some curves at you, just found out tht I will be able to go again after being scheduled for a work trip to LA last week...
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 08-15-2006, 03:52 PM   #24
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I was going to ask what tires both of you were running, but with it being you and his first autocross, that really won't make or break the advantages. Just be smooth starting out and work on progressively becoming faster while learning the course. Overpowering the course and pushing the car will not garner you a faster time. Pay attention to what your tires are telling you. If you're screeching, try it again slower next time and slowly add more throttle while continuing through a turn.

The SVT can hands down beat the SRT-4 on almost any course. You've got the car, but you just have to slowly learn the skill.

I get my butt kicked by a fully-prepped Neon ACR (note: not SRT-4 ACR) all the time. Now that's a good challenger.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 08-15-2006, 09:31 PM   #25
Venom713
Focus Enthusiast

wait... so what your saying is a Neon ACR is actually better at autoX then a SRT-4? and what do you mean about fully prepped, bolt ons and sutch, or just an experienced driver?

"The SVT Focus has all the goodies you would ever want, but it feels as coherent a driver's car as you can find this side of a BMW M3."
Old 08-15-2006, 09:48 PM   #26
SVT_CLARITY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36804
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SVT_CLARITY Good Standing Member
so many freaking variables.

if the track has longer straights and some decent sweepers, you might be stroked car to car.

In my opinion, go to the first autoX event, and drive YOUR car. not against your friend, but against yourself and the track. Chances are, he'll be driving against you, and trying so hard to beat you, he'll DNF and shit. so regardless of faster car etc, you can be the faster driver. that's where the REAL bragging rights are. anyone can run themselves in debt for a fast car. this is the reason i don't personally care for the 1/4.

good luck.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:13 AM   #27
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally posted by Venom713
wait... so what your saying is a Neon ACR is actually better at autoX then a SRT-4? and what do you mean about fully prepped, bolt ons and sutch, or just an experienced driver?
Yes, shorter wheelbase, much lighter car, still decent power - those are essential for a good strong autocross vehicle. He's running aftermarket wheels (14" or 15", which are much letter than the SVT's 17's), stock Koni struts still, changed out springs, roll bars, cold air intake, seats have been swapped out for race seats (I can't remember how much weight he dropped), don't know if he still has ECU stock or not, but most importantly, he's a very experienced driver. He's won at Divisionals in STS and has placed well at Nationals.

My goal is to close the gap on him as best as I can, but I still have much more driving experience to gain, a few more modifications, and possibly, a better car because the SVT (with a good driver) may not be able to outperform the Neon ACR and an excellent driver.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 08-16-2006, 01:20 AM   #28
UB!!
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34525
What I Drive: a black ass st

FF Reputation: 1 UB!! Good Standing Member
get an ST haha
Old 08-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #29
Venom713
Focus Enthusiast

Oh when i raced my first AutoX race, i was racing for me, not against him. some of the best times were coming in at 43 seconds and under... but to me most of the cars there were getting around 48's.

My first lap of my life was 54.93 seconds. Never running my car like this before not knowing what she could do... my next lap was 50.34. I got a ride with a great guy in a modded SVTF and finaly realized just how hard i could push her. thos two laps he ran was a low 47 then a high 46.

My next round i cranked off a 47.784 then a 47.034... and i definately knew where i could have done things different after i got done driving. I was just happy because i wasnt all that far away from the other SVT's. The man i rode with ended with a 45 something. The other SVT driver had 46 something... and Arron (carrera26) ended with a 43 something.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #30
Venom713
Focus Enthusiast

I was just happy cause i was completely stock and could halfway keep up with the other svt's.

Also, I got a great tip about air pressure in your tires... never realized how much that mattered!!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks