TRACK: My first auto x, I beat a porsche! - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-31-2006, 04:11 AM   #21
ozan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 29069
What I Drive: 2006 ink blue Mondeo TDCI

FF Reputation: 5 ozan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
nice job!!

I wish we had races like Autox here... its been nearly a year till last race...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 11:39 AM   #22
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
^^^Yeah, autocross, or "Gymkhana" as it's called elsewhere, just isn't as popular elsewhere as the rest of the world seems to have so much more access to rally and road courses...

Thanks for the shout-outs from everyone. It just lifts my spirits to see other drivers out there finding out just how much fun they can have in their car. My quote to people is typically, "The most fun you can have with your clothes on". I'm so darn enthusiastic that I just like spreading the word. If I get on the Board of Directors for my region next year as SOLO director, I think that we'll be doing quite a bit more local promotion and cheap marketing.

DEFINITELY don't wait for mods. In fact, it's really the other way around. If you hold off on the mods until you have some racing experience under your belt, you'll have a much better idea on what the car actually needs! Not to mention that you'll learn to carry as much speed as possible with lower power and grip. Once you can be fast in a "slow" car, then you'll be that much faster in everything.

For anyone who is looking for a local event, it's as easy as Googleing "-Insert your town/area here- Autocross/SCCA", or of course by clicking on the links in my sig to find an event.

3 weeks till the next event... and I'm already starting to get the shakes!
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 07-31-2006, 12:51 PM   #23
Black&Tan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9971
What I Drive: '06 Liquid Grey SES hatch

Points 5,976, Level 50
Points: 5,976, Level: 50 Points: 5,976, Level: 50 Points: 5,976, Level: 50
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 Black&Tan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
All I have to say is that Zal and everyone else on this thread is seriously inspiring me to go and do an AutoX for my first time in the Detroit area.

Those are some kick*ss kills, Zal. I love my little car, and love it all the more with the SVT suspension upgrades and low profiles I have on it. My car is pretty much bone stock except for that (and an SVT intake). Anyone within driving distance of the "D" doing an AutoX soon that I can join up with you on? Say a 2 - 3 hour drive?

Also, if y'all could PM me with some tips and helpful information I'd be grateful. I'm a little leery of putting my baby into a race, but i'd love to hear feedback from those of you who have done it!
HN #171
Old 07-31-2006, 02:33 PM   #24
zal
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28635
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black LX

FF Reputation: 1 zal Good Standing Member
^ autocross does very little to your car. Your brakes always have time to cool off, as does the rest of your car, you're really only pushing it for about 30-100 secs at a time. As for your mods i they'll put you in street prepared (could be wrong) but those are PERFECT autox mods. You really only need some light engine tuning, and the more suspension work usually the better. But don't mod your car up too much, you'll get put in some classes with some pretty effing fast cars.
MacBook 2.0 Black
"The Focus looks kinda like a retarded shark with wheels"
Old 07-31-2006, 02:40 PM   #25
bigjordan
AAAHHHHH!!!!

Fan#: 35026
What I Drive: miata

FF Reputation: 7 bigjordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i want to autox.............but alas, i really dont think there is anywhere around here to do it without driving for several hours.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:40 PM   #26
Black&Tan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9971
What I Drive: '06 Liquid Grey SES hatch

Points 5,976, Level 50
Points: 5,976, Level: 50 Points: 5,976, Level: 50 Points: 5,976, Level: 50
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 Black&Tan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
I have 15 inch steelies for winter, but might consider getting some cheap summer/performance tires for auto-x'ing if the 15's would be better. Would have to check the weight on them verses my 17" enkei's.
HN #171
Old 07-31-2006, 02:42 PM   #27
zal
Focus Addict

http://www.detroit-scca.org/ thats the detroit region SCCA for those of you out in motown
MacBook 2.0 Black
Old 07-31-2006, 05:51 PM   #28
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Black&Tan
I have 15 inch steelies for winter, but might consider getting some cheap summer/performance tires for auto-x'ing if the 15's would be better. Would have to check the weight on them verses my 17" enkei's.

Steelies are a lot heavier than you might think.

Outside of Alaska, I don't know of many places in the USA where there aren't several events within a couple hours. Heck, I live in the middle of Iowa and there are probably 60-70 events a year within a 2-3 hour radius.

Seriously, click on the links in my sig or just put your location and "Autocross" into Google. Couldn't be easier.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 07-31-2006, 06:00 PM   #29
zal
Focus Addict

^ what he said

what class would i be cumped to after SVT suspension? cause i'll never compete against that damned mini with the R-Comp tires in H stock
MacBook 2.0 Black
Old 07-31-2006, 06:13 PM   #30
tdkaye1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 36991
What I Drive: 2006 Infra-Red ZX4 ST - SAP I

FF Reputation: 1 tdkaye1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Black&Tan
All I have to say is that Zal and everyone else on this thread is seriously inspiring me to go and do an AutoX for my first time in the Detroit area.

Those are some kick*ss kills, Zal. I love my little car, and love it all the more with the SVT suspension upgrades and low profiles I have on it. My car is pretty much bone stock except for that (and an SVT intake). Anyone within driving distance of the "D" doing an AutoX soon that I can join up with you on? Say a 2 - 3 hour drive?

Also, if y'all could PM me with some tips and helpful information I'd be grateful. I'm a little leery of putting my baby into a race, but i'd love to hear feedback from those of you who have done it!

Seeing the turnout for this is getting me itching as well. After I find out more information on it, and insurance and all, I'll be hitting up the Chicago area races. If you find out anything B&T, hit me on here. I think it's about 2.5 - 3 hours to Chicago, but looks like the racing may be worth it. Nice job on the racing too Zal.

Slowly but surely building the perfect animal.

ST Crew #000
Quote:
Originally posted by HempHound
Blue Lights=SEX LIGHTS cause someone is about to get fu%@#*

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.