Kuhmo Ecsta ASX Air Pressure - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-27-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
lduran
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18554
What I Drive: '02 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 lduran Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Question Kuhmo Ecsta ASX Air Pressure

How many pounds of air am I supposed to inflate these tires with? I just purchased new tires and the shop put 37 pounds in them. I always read that 32-34 was where you were supposed to keep them at. Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
steviedon
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 31395
What I Drive: 2001 Egg Yolk SE

FF Reputation: 1 steviedon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I beleive ford recommends something like 32 all the way around, which is more for ride quality than handling and is spec for the stock tires.......your new tires will like little more air to grip at their full potential. Because of the difference in weight from front to back....I run 35 in the front and 33 in the rear. It makes for a stiffer ride but makes my tires wear much more evenly and yeilds better response on initial turn-in. Also remember if you live in a hot climate like I do in TX your pressure may go up from 2-5psi when comparing cold to warmed up.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
blanezx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 764
What I Drive: 03 twi-blue zx3

FF Reputation: 5 blanezx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
I always use what's recommended on the side of the tire.

FR stg 2 cams, UR cam gears, FC 65mm TB, ported 2k manifold, 50lb injectors, FC race header, Bosal flex, Borla catback, Zex, Procharger, Xcal2
Old 07-29-2006, 07:58 AM   #4
racer1735
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13782
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 racer1735 Good Standing Member
You should use what's on the sticker on the door jamb. The pressures on the tire are MAXIMUM psi allowed.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
airdrummer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31494
What I Drive: 2006 ZX4 ST CD Silver

FF Reputation: 1 airdrummer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by blanezx3
I always use what's recommended on the side of the tire.
NEVER use whats on the tire. Thats the tires Maximum pressure, and you're getting excessive wear in the center of your tire due to overinflation.
ST Crew #39

Last edited by airdrummer; 07-29-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I have the Ecsta ASX's on for summer, and run 34-36 psi in all four. In winter, I run around the same with Fuzion HRi's (cheapest I could find...lol) and don't have any wear issues. The higher pressure will give you better handling, as stated, and also a little better gas mileage in exchange for a harder ride. The recomended 32 psi is for a nice ride.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:40 PM   #7
lduran
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18554
What I Drive: '02 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 lduran Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Thanks everyone.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:44 PM   #8
steviedon
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

No prob. Good tire choice by the way. From what I've heard on many SCCA autocross forums the ASX is a rabid wolf in sheeps clothing...let us know how it performs with that svt suspension once you get the pressure dialed in.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:40 PM   #9
elliottcarlose
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11597
What I Drive: 2000 Green ZX3, 2003 CBR 954 and now a 06 C-dan

FF Reputation: 1 elliottcarlose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
how can you say not to use what is recomended by the sidewall they are designed to use that pressure. Also if you change tire brands ( like I did my door says 32 while my tires say 44) other than what came on stock you can not use the sticker. That sticker is for the tires that were on it from the factory. I have always used the recomended tire pressure on the side of the tires with no excisseve wear. I only noticed wear problems when it was either over inflated or under. I am not saying you can't get a little better proformance with minor changes but that for most people it is beter to use the sidewall.

Sounds =2-12 Fosgate PS1, 1 Fosgate 5002 500watts RMS, 4 Fosgate door speakers, 1 Pioneer in dash dvd/monitor

GO 4-2-1 race header, complete cat back, SRI, and svt suspension
Old 07-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #10
steviedon
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Not to be an arse but, wrong again. The pressure stamped on the edge of the tire is it's maximum psi at maximum load, and is all relative to the physical load bearing properties of the tire. Our cars don't even begin to scratch the maximum load level of most tires thus you run less pressure to get optimal performance/ wear. I'm pretty sure running your tires at max psi all the time is very unsafe and could result in a blowout (not good at highway speeds). Go take another look at your tires....it should read max. inflation pressure 44psi.

Last edited by steviedon; 07-30-2006 at 05:59 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks