2002 Z-Tec auto to SVT 6-speed manual - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-22-2006, 06:00 PM   #1
blckwdw
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 27676
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 blckwdw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2002 Z-Tec auto to SVT 6-speed manual

I have heard of people doing a swap of an auto tranny to a 5 speed manual, but I would like to go one step further and go from the auto to the 6-speed. I have searched around and not found much info on this subject of tranny swaps. I would like to collect all the information I can on this and do it before the summer is up. I know some about cars and engines, but nothing about transmissions other than how to use them. I have drivven the 5 speeds and love them, and then I drove a 6-speed tranny on a stang and had to have it in my car. I know it can be done, but I don't know how or where to begin. I would like to get a list of parts, prices, labor needed. I would also like to sell my tranny after the install, or trade plus money. The Focus I own is a 2002 ZX5, I would also like to purchase a new chip with it because I know there will be probs with a stock auto setting profile and a 6-speed manual tranny. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide, I will pay more if one person can get the parts, install, and sell auto for me. Once again, thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
SlammedZX3WI
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36471
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 SlammedZX3WI Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You're asking for a HUGE project

Even tho you liked the 6 spd on a 'Stang, doesn't necessarily mean you'll like it on the Foci

I'd go with just the 5 speed

Go0d luck
Old 07-23-2006, 12:43 AM   #3
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Its Zetec, not Z-tec. We don't need the Honda crowd thinking our engine is a V-tec ripoff...

For what it will cost you in parts and labor, you'd really be better off trading in your current car for one with a manual. A 5-speed to 6-speed swap is pretty much straightforward because the Zetec ECU is able to understand 6 forward gears and most of the hardware required for the Getrag 6-speed is already in place, however going from ATX to any MTX is a big pain in the ass. You need a ton of different parts, a new ECU from a car with a MTX plus the keys and lock cylinders (or have the new ECU's PATS system reflashed for your current keys or turned off.) There's a lot of stuff on a MTX that your car doesn't have that you'll have to buy, holes that need to be cut, wiring harnesses added and the entire computer changed out. And that's all on top of the labor required to remove and replace the stock transmission.

If that doesn't deter you, contact v6focus on here (or go to his website; www.focussalvage.com) He's done multiple swaps between various Focus models and is considered the resident expert on swaps.

Last edited by SkaAddict; 07-23-2006 at 12:48 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks