driving with parking lights on? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Driving with parking lights on?
I never drive with just my parking lights on. 35 47.30%
Why not! 39 52.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #11
ozan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 29069
What I Drive: 2006 ink blue Mondeo TDCI

FF Reputation: 5 ozan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i mostly drive with ligths all the way on some times i add fog light to them... but never with parking lights...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2006, 09:56 AM   #12
faulkton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35398
What I Drive: 2006 zx3 ses...Black

FF Reputation: 1 faulkton Good Standing Member
i cruise with them on all the time on the highway... along with fogs.. no real reason.. just to be seen.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:06 PM   #13
Rudel
FF's Quadriplegic!

Fan#: 13465
What I Drive: 2.3 ATX-RSVT

FF Reputation: 15 Rudel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
If I could turn my parking lights off when I drive with my fog lights on, I would do so, but I don't feel like adding a special switch to incorporate that.

I use the lights so cars can see me coming or going. It's hard to see a silver car when it's bright as outside.

Part III: Install Handicap Driving Controls
Ma Cah: http://imgur.com/a/TuyYL
Old 07-29-2006, 12:13 PM   #14
mrbrice
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22151
What I Drive: 2001 Silver Frost ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 mrbrice Good Standing Member
sometimes it is not dark enough that headlights make any difference, but it may be dark enough that people might not see you as well. that's why i sometimes drive with them on. and i've never heard of it being illegal...??

R.I.P. 2000 Harvest Gold Metallic ZTS
Old 07-29-2006, 03:22 PM   #15
azdamay
Titular Wit Here

Fan#: 27396
What I Drive: 2004 GTO, 1986 Civic Si, 2010 TC

FF Reputation: 8 azdamay Good Standing Member
It is illegal, check with your local motor vehicle bureau if you don't believe us.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:25 PM   #16
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
"by the way it is illegal to drive with parking lights on, they are supposed to be used to indicate a car that is stopped along the road in the event that stopping is needed but it is not an emergency (necessitating the hazard lights). Note that parking lights are distict from the driving lights available on some cars..."

BINGO!

The laws vary State by State, but it is true that in some States it is illegal to drive with the parking lights on.

Perhaps I'm just getting too darn old, but I shake my head when I read threads like this. "Back when I was a teenager," (yeah, I know how trite that sounds), you'd never pass a Driver's Education course or pass a driver's license test without knowing the above.

If it is dark enough to put the parking lights on, it is dark enough to just turn the lights on and be done with it. Since putting the parking lights on turns your dash lights on, it is quite common for people that turn their parking lights on at dusk to then forget to turn their real lights on as it gets darker, since the lack of dash lights is no longer a reminder that their headlights are off. I'm sure you have seen people driving well after dark on a well lit street with their parking lights on and no headlights. That's cuz having turned the parking lights on earlier, there is no unlit dash to remind them their lights are off. That alone is a reason to skip the parking lights and go directly to the "real" lights.

Since the vast majority of studies show DRLs reduce the odds of an accident, why wouldn't one go straight to the headlights if increased visibility is desired?

Save the Parking lights for Parking.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:37 AM   #17
STnic
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36943
What I Drive: 2006 Liquid Metallic Grey zx4 ST,and 1990 5.0 H.O.

FF Reputation: 1 STnic Good Standing Member
every day its diffrent lol
ST Crew #43
Old 07-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #18
cruzstyle
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12277
What I Drive: 2005 white focus zx3

FF Reputation: 5 cruzstyle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
well yes that state laws do very about the parking lights but parking lights do have a purpose. The parking light is really not actually used as such in modern driving. This name is more of a throwback to days gone by. When originally named, the parking light was used to illuminate a vehicle when it was parked, because streetlights and special off the road parking areas had not yet become common. Leaving your car parked on the side of a dark road without some warning of its presence was a hazard to both your vehicle, and to other drivers. The parking light was entirely separate from the headlight system. They were not lit when the headlights were turned on as they are in modern vehicles. The purpose of the parking light has changed over the years. Wider roads allowing room for on street parking with no obstruction of the driving lanes have made their original purpose obsolete. The parking light still serves an important function in driving safety, used more as a marker light to make vehicles more visible at night, especially from the side view. Such marker lights became mandatory in 1968, to improve safety and vehicle visibility on the roads. The parking light can also be helpful as backup lighting if you have a headlight burn out during driving. The glow of the parking light can help your vehicle be more visible to oncoming drivers even with only one headlight, making it easier for others to determine that a car, not a motorcycle is approaching.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #19
cruzstyle
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12277
What I Drive: 2005 white focus zx3

FF Reputation: 5 cruzstyle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
also do u know how much gas and money it would take to run those lights for the US for one year? we would burn an extra 406 million gallons of gas each year. That's only a couple gallons for each vehicle, but in total it is more than all of the vehicles in the country burn in a day. At $1.50 a gallon, that's $600 million per year. Looking at it another way, an extra 8 billion pounds of Carbon Dioxide would be added to the atmosphere
Old 07-30-2006, 04:18 PM   #20
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
"we would burn an extra 406 million gallons of gas each year."

I'll be polite and say "untrue," rather than that other word.

A blind cut and paste form "how stuff works" regarding DRL usage is not the answer as (1) the "parking lights" are not powerless, so you must use the differential, and (2) nobody is suggesting that one should run with their low beams on at high noon on a sunny day (which is the assumption is that number you cut and pasted). The typical usage would be in overcast, poor weather conditions or a twilight. Note that in many States, such as Illinois, it is mandatory to have your headlights on if it is raining -- drving with your parking lights on in the rain will gain you a ticket.

I would also note that the low beams use about 110 watts of power when they are on. I suggest you do a calculation of how much gasoline is wasted due to people putting high-powered stereos in their car, which have zero contribution to safety. Are you suggesting that playing the stereo loudly and/or putting a high wattage system in your car is an inappropriate waste of gasoline? And what about A/C? That is a real fuel waster. And what about people that run around with there fog lights on all the time? The fact is that with so many cars on the road, you can make any small item look very big, if you play with the numbers enough.

Second, as you say, "marker lights became mandatory in 1968." That is correct, they have nothing to do with parking lights per se, and if it is dark enough that the small marker lights would be noticible and make a difference, then it certainly is dark enough to certainly use low beams. The only time the side market lights would be of any use where headlights would not be appropriate at the same time, would be if you were not moving, i.e. "parking lights."

Bookmarks & Social Networks