OBD II only emission test... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-19-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
metallicanick78
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14314
What I Drive: 03 zx3 D23 stick

FF Reputation: 1 metallicanick78 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
OBD II only emission test...

ok, i know everyone probably hates to discuss emissoins but... I just called the DMV (Connecticut) and they told me that for 96 and newer vehicles, the only thing that is done at the emission station is an OBD II test. I had just asumed that we had the full sniffer, OBD and visual, but they said ONLY obd test.
Can someone explain to me if this is a good thing or not ? I have an excall II so is there a potental to run straight headers back or turbo and just have to reflash and clear the codes before an emissions test or is the obd test more involved than that. any experts in the crowd?

3" SS Trubendz w/HFC Flex back, Cossie BSD, de-badged----03 zx3 2.3 MTX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
If the Xcal 2 can completely clear the codes then you're cool running whatever. If you do it the "old school" way, unplugging the battery then booking it over to the inspection station, it won't fly. Because the OBD scanner will look to make sure "all good" and if it's been reset, the codes will come back as "not sure, need to run that self-test again"

In which case they will make you wait a few minutes til the system checks itself (and throws a code again) or have you come back, or something. If the Xcal clears it so that the system checks itself and says "ok, all systems go" then you'll be fine. And I suspect it Does work that way.

But otherwise, usually "just OBD" means that and nothing more, no visual looking for cats or anything. Plug in the tool, no codes, you're cool. Sometimes they check the horn or lights too, to make sure such "safety" items don't need replacing.

RI's system is similar to the "new" CT one, and it only takes like 10 min tops for a RI car (96+) to get inspected.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
metallicanick78
Focus Enthusiast

The only emissions significant codes would have to do with a malfunctioning cat correct? So if the second o2 sensor was disabled then it would, in theory, never throw a code right? do you think that when they check the OBD system, they can tell if there is an aftermarket program running? This just seems to easy to run headers with an excal II and just drive up and get tested and pass.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
metallicanick78
Focus Enthusiast

The more I look around the more I see things like, the test stations can tell if a code has been thrown (and cleared), and some sites say they check things like cat temps and and other such info that wouldent be logged on a ECU running a car with one or no cats... anyone have first had experience here? or dose anyone have a full list of things tested in an obd inspection?

Old 07-20-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
metallicanick78
Focus Enthusiast

ok, this is long, but it answerd my question and maby it will help someone else too. I found out about the readiness monitors, which there are a few of, and they all must be set after either unplugging the battery or clearing any codes because if they arnt all set, then there will be a code " p1000 " stuck in the ecu memory which cannot be cleared in any other way besides these drive cycles. so if you just clear your codes and go to an emissions station, then they will hook up and tell you that you need to go drive around and come back another day. So im still unsure of how someone could get by with a header without replacing it for emissions... but anyhow, heres what i found.

The P1000 is a systems readiness check. Certain conditions need to occur in order to verify that certain components like the EGR, evaporative systems, catalytic converts, and other systems are working.

The quickest way to clear the P1000 is to follow the following drive-cycle as stated by Ford. I have done the drive cycle enough times to where I can now do the drive cycle in about 25 minutes.

Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle

Description of OBDII Drive Cycle
The following procedure is designed to execute and complete the OBDII monitors and to clear the Ford P1000, I/M readiness code. To complete a specific monitor for repair verification, follow steps 1 through 4, then continue with the step described by the appropriate monitor found under the "OBDII Monitor Exercised" column. When the ambient air temperature is outside 4.4 to 37.8C (40 to 100 F), or the altitude is above 2438 meters (8000 feet), the EVAP monitor will not run. If the P1000 code must be cleared in these conditions, the PCM must detect them once (twice on some applications) before the EVAP monitor can be "bypassed" and the P1000 cleared. The Evap "bypassing" procedure is described in the following drive cycle.

The OBDII Drive Cycle will be performed using a scan tool. Consult the instruction manual for each described function. NOTE: A detailed description of a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Reset is found in this section, refer to the table of contents.

Drive Cycle Recommendations:

1. Most OBDII monitors will complete more readily using a "steady foot" driving style during cruise or acceleration modes. Operating the throttle in a "smooth" fashion will minimize the time required for monitor completion.
2. Fuel tank level should be between 1/2 and 3/4 fill with 3/4 fill being the most desirable.
3. The Evaporative Monitor can only operate during the first 30 minutes of engine operation. When executing the procedure for this monitor, stay in part throttle mode and drive in a smooth fashion to minimize "fuel slosh".

WARNING
STRICT OBSERVANCE OF POSTED SPEED LIMITS AND ATTENTION TO DRIVING CONDITIONS ARE MANDATORY WHEN PROCEEDING THROUGH THE FOLLOWING DRIVE CYCLES.

For best results, follow each of the following steps as accurately as possible:

OBDII Monitor
Exercised

Drive Cycle Procedure
Purpose of
Drive Cycle Procedure
Drive Cycle
Preparation

1. Install scan tool. Turn key on with the engine off. Cycle key off, then on. Select appropriate Vehicle & Engine qualifier. Clear all DTC's/ Perform a PCM Reset. Bypasses engine soak timer. Resets OBDII Monitor status.

2. Begin to monitor the following PIDs: ECT, EVAPDC, FLI (if available) and TP MODE.
Start vehicle WITHOUT returning to Key Off.

3. Idle vehicle for 15 seconds. Drive at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) until ECT is at least 76.7C (170 F).
Prep for Monitor Entry

4. Is IAT within 4.4 to 37.8C (40 to 100 F)? If Not, complete the following steps but, note that step 14 will be required to "bypass " the Evap monitor and clear the P1000. Engine warm-up and provide IAT input to the PCM.
HEGO

5. Cruise at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) for up to 4 minutes. Executes the HEGO monitor.
EVAP

6. Cruise at 72 to 104 Km/h (45 to 65 MPH) for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns and hills) Note, to initiate the monitor: TP MODE should =PT, EVAPDC must be >75%, and FLI must be between 15 and 85% Executes the EVAP Monitor (If IAT is within 4.4 to 37.8 (40 to 100F))
Catalyst

7. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 40 to 72 Km/h (25 to 45 MPH) over a 10 minute period. Executes the Catalyst Monitor.
EGR

8. From a stop, accelerate to 72 Km/h (45 MPH) at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat 3 times. Executes the EGR Monitor.
SEC AIR/CCM (Engine)

9. Bring the vehicle to a stop. Idle with transmission in drive (neutral for M/T) for 2 minutes. Executes the ISC portion of the CCM.
CCM (Trans)

10. For M/T, accelerate from 0 to 80 Km/h (o to 50 MPH), continue to step 11. For A/T, from a stop and in overdrive, moderately accelerate to 80 Km/h (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop vehicle and repeat without overdrive to 64 Km/h (40 MPH) cruising for at least 30 seconds. While at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) , activate overdrive and accelerate to 80 Km/h (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop for at least 20 seconds and repeat step 10 five times. Executes the transmission portion of the CCM.
Misfire & Fuel Monitors

11. From a stop, accelerate to 104 Km/h (65 MPH). Decelerate at closed throttle until 64 Km/h (40 MPH) (no brakes). Repeat this 3 times. Allows learning for the misfire monitor.
Readiness Check

12. Access the ON-Board System Readiness (OBDII monitor status) function on the scan tool. Determine whether all non-continuous monitors have completed. If not, go to step 13. Determines if any monitor has not completed.
Pending Code Check and Evap Monitor "Bypass" Check

13. With the scan tool, check for pending codes. Conduct normal repair procedures for any pending code concern. Otherwise, rerun any incomplete monitor.
Note: if the EVAP monitor is not complete AND IAT was out of the 4.4 to 37.8 C (40 to 100 F) temperature range in step #4, or the altitude is over 2438 m. (8000 ft.), the Evap "bypass" procedure must be followed.
Proceed to step 14. Determines if a pending code is preventing the clearing of P1000.
Evap Monitor "Bypass"

14. Park vehicle for a minimum of 8 hours. Repeat steps 2 through 12. DO NOT REPEAT STEP 1. Allow the "bypass" counter to increment to two.

Old 07-22-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
Fo' SHO
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30230
What I Drive: 06 Black ZX3 SAP, 08 Hyosung GT-ARR

FF Reputation: 2 Fo' SHO Good Standing Member
Having just wasted a few days sitting through the classes..

OBD II inspection can pretty much be defeated by a tuner. ANY SES light will cause an immediate failure. For the state of Texas, you can have up to 3 systems "Not Ready", meaning the test cycle for that system isn't complete. If you have a downstream cat code, you can get away with unplugging your battery. That test cycle takes FOREVER to complete on a Ford. Just make sure you get about 10 miles or so of mixed driving on your way to the inspection.

With the OBD inspection, you are still subject to safety and visual inspection. If they bother to look, they're going to look for cats and mufflers. You ARE required to have all the emissions systems your car came with stock or an equivalent system. But how many people are going to know all the systems that came on every car? So usually they just look for a cat somewhere.
Originally Posted by NADA Auto Reviews
"The Ford Focus is notable for its spirited driving dynamics."
Old 07-22-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
tdkaye1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 36991
What I Drive: 2006 Infra-Red ZX4 ST - SAP I

FF Reputation: 1 tdkaye1 Good Standing Member
Well, in Illinois, it's similar. Had my '96 eclipse in for the OBD II test 2 years ago. Was leaking oil from the head and blue smoke was visable out the exhaust. The tech laughed and said you really expect to pass with that? I said sure, why not. He checked the chip, and it was clear. No sensors going off, had AEM CAI, no cat, and aftermarket can. No visual was done, even with the smoke. However, I had a '91 amigo that had a code for something not even important and they said since a code came up period, I'd have to get it fixed and come back.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Ok, my non-eloquent post was trying to describe the p1000, I just couldn't remember what it was called.

But tuners like XCal won't give a P1000, the ECU will see all its parameters as "ready". My mechanic/inspector takes a look under the car, not under the hood, so if you replace the header but have a catback exhaust on a Duratec, you pass the visual. And with a tuner, you pass the OBD too.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #9
metallicanick78
Focus Enthusiast

sweet, so if an excall dosent throw a p1000 than you can do whatever you want basically. I called the CT DMV and asked him like 4 times what was involved in the inspection and he kept telling me only the OBD, no visual, no tailpipe, no safty. And if thats true, then I could be running a turbo with no cats as long as my tune deactivated my o2s or i just brought my excall and de-coded it in the parking lot good news for me!

Old 07-25-2006, 10:48 AM   #10
tdkaye1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 36991
What I Drive: 2006 Infra-Red ZX4 ST - SAP I

FF Reputation: 1 tdkaye1 Good Standing Member
Yeah, but if its loud as hell they might be inclinded to look, though that might be left to mr officer.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->