Oil pressure gauge ? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
SVTJerbo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9367
What I Drive: 2002 Svtf

FF Reputation: 1 SVTJerbo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Oil pressure gauge ?

If you missed previous threads my engine is blown. Can anyone help me out by explaining to me exactly how the oil pressure gauge functions? where is the information coming from and how is it calculated? I know now thats its more or less useless but this information would help me with my warranty battle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
Anaxagoras1986
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34536
What I Drive: SVTF

FF Reputation: 15 Anaxagoras1986 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
It is calculated by the ECU by the RPM and temp of the engine and it is completely worthless. It's a bling-bling gimmick. lol
Old 07-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
COSDEVSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20509
What I Drive: '04 Competion Orange SVT 5dr Euro

FF Reputation: 7 COSDEVSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
^ No ... that would be the oil temp gauge.

The oil pressure gauge uses a electric sender mounted on the backside of the engine ... below the intake manifold. Looking at the oil filter, the sender is at roughly the 10-11 o'clock position.

Because it is electric, there is some delay and the OE 'gauge' isn't that accurate to begin with. By the time there is a oil pressure problem, it is too late.
'04 PW (#1) Competition Orange SVT 5dr Euro
Old 07-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
Byron 3465
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19159
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 1 Byron 3465 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The "sender" you are talking about mounted in the side of the engine block below the intake is just an "idiot light" switch. It triggers the low oil pressure light on the dash when the pressure in the system falls below 7-10 psi.

I have had mine off and checked it ,and it is not a potentiometer it's just an on-off switch.

The ECU looks at that switch to see if there is "ANY" oil pressure and then looks at engine speed and moves the needle on the gauge.

I have a real oil pressure gauge in my car and the factory gauge does not even come close to reacting to the "Real Engine Oil Pressure" like the mechanical gauge .

To answer the origional question, as long as the Idiot light on the instrument cluster was not on you had at least 7 psi of oil pressure, other than that you have no way of knowing how much pressure you really had.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #5
Byron 3465
Focus Enthusiast

Here is the wiring diagram for the instrument cluster, note the oil pressure "SWITCH"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil pressure system svtf.gif
Views:	286
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	9439  

Old 07-18-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Memberscrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
then why does it fluctuate with RPM's? and also, the oil temp gauge fluctuates with water temp?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:26 PM   #7
Byron 3465
Focus Enthusiast

They programed the ECU to look at engine speed and move the needle as engine speed goes up and down. Makes it look like the gauge is doing something. If you watch the needle, when the engine is at idle it reads in the same place it always reads at that same engine speed (on my car about 3 needle widths below the middle of the gauge). When the engine is cold the real pressure is between 75-80 psi. When it is hot after about 20 minutes on the track and an oil temp above 230degF at idle the real oil pressure is between 25-30 psi but the factory gauge reads the same as before. It's just an idiot light with a pointer.

The oil temp gauge is also controled by the ECU and it looks at water temp and duty cycles (how hard are you driving and for how long) my factory gauge reads mid scale within 5 miles of my house every morning on the way to work, it reads the same with oil temperatures as low as 100 deg F and as high as 230 deg F. At the track I have had the oil temp as high as 260 deg F and the gauge only reading at 3/4 scale and other times the gauge is pegged HOT when the oil is below 240 deg.

I think I would really rather have the little coin storage cubby, it would sure be of more use.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:41 PM   #8
Clegg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25626
What I Drive: 2002 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Clegg Good Standing Member
Any way to hot wire those gauges to do something real? like read a real sender unit?
2008 Blue VDub R32 #3858 of 5000

Traded in: 2002 Infra-Red SVT #2992 of 4788 Born on June 20th 2002
Old 07-18-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
02SVTscreamin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25911
What I Drive: 02 SVT focus and 96 mitsubishi eclipse

FF Reputation: 2 02SVTscreamin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ok, heres what im not understanding, why the hell does everyone keep saying the oil pressure gauge is fake, ever time ive read something about an engine blowing up do to loss oil pressure and they always say the oil pressure gauge goes to zero, doesnt that mean somthing?? if you gauge is going to read zero when the pressure actually does drop and the engine pops, then doesnt it do its job when you put the gas through the floor and the pressure needle rises. im sorry but i dont think SVT would put a fake gauge in any of there cars, just doesnt make sense.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:11 PM   #10
HaveBlue83

Fan#: 1358
What I Drive: a car

FF Reputation: 70 HaveBlue83 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I can't believe that they would do that........an "eye candy" gauge in an SVT? I dunno.......

Bookmarks & Social Networks