Need help with a duratec build - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
archie
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9921
What I Drive: 2008 Lexus IS-F

FF Reputation: 1 archie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Need help with a duratec build

Well my warrenty is coming up in 10k miles, so i am going to start a build. I am buying a 2.3l engine (new) and going from there. I would like to find a mtx75 transmission that will bolt up to that as well. So if any of you could help me with that it would be appriciated. But here is where i come to ask for opinions. First everyone says breath in, breath out. This is what i have lined up so far. Opinions to changed are very welcomed here.

Cosworth Cai- it seems to be a little larger in diameter than the rest, but it is also about 150 more than the marcy or focus sport. Is it worth it in a n/a build that i am wanting to make over 200hp.

Cosworth throttle body- this isnt on the list of the first mods to buy, but it is on the second one. i know that the focus central which are 65mm had quality control issues. will the 67mm be bennifitial in the end and worth the 350dollars.

Cosworth intake mani- you do lose peak torque, but you gain an overall flat torque curve. is this the best intake mani and is it worth the 700$.

Cosworth headers- seem to have the largest primaries. the cost around 400$, and overall are the a better header than draxas or f2.

Cosworth flex- to go along with the headers

Cosworth 2.5 race exhaust- i know there are other 2.5 inch exhaust out there for way cheaper, but i want it to sound good, and perform well. this area is always open for opinions.

vf rear mount- this isnt open for discussion as it will need this to help keep down the motor movement. but are the other mounts needed as well.

i would also like to know what the best piston, rods, valves, valve springs, cams, and cam gears are.

i
i know it sounds like i am cosworth crazy, but i do understand that there are other products out there that perform just as well, but dont have the name. however i want to build this car to take the abuse i want to throw at it, and always be ready to strap a turbo on to this when i get bored with the n/a setup. opinions are welcome, but please keep the bashing out of this thread.

thanks for the help
-archie

so i would like to add the eagle rods to the list of mods. they run about 400 dollars, or is there a better rod out there for the money.

also if i add the 9.0:1 pistons, will it be okay to run crane stage ii cams, or owuld it better if i went with a higher compression piston.

Last edited by archie; 07-14-2006 at 07:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
homeboyjames
Focus Addict

Fan#: 35230
What I Drive: 07 Black ST Check profile for mods

FF Reputation: 6 homeboyjames Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
that sounds slick as hell post pics when you do this bro. i dont know all that much about doing this or i would do the same.
-=ST CREW #61=-
-=SEDAN REVOLUTION #77=-
Old 07-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing MemberEgz Excellent Standing Member
MM is re-thinking doing a batch of intake manifolds or 2.75" exhausts, but nothing is confirmed.

If you are going cams and compression, you need an intake manifold. Otherwise, you won't get the full benefits.

I'm building with Eagle rods, Supertech 11.6:1 pistons, and Crane stage II cams. Cossie header and intake mani as well.

If you are planning a turbo in the future, than 11.6:1 won't be for you.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 07-13-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
archie
Focus Addict

how easy would it be to change the compression later down the road, would it be a matter of just new pistons ?

can someone please explain compression and the effects. i know for a fi setup you want a low compression, but for now i am going completely n/a.

Last edited by archie; 07-13-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
joshco84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32377
What I Drive: 06 Screamin Yellow ZX3 SES MTX

FF Reputation: 1 joshco84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
pistons would be the easiest way to lower the compression yes. or you could switch to a head with a larger combustion chamber, but i dont know if this is even an option on a duratec or not.
Team Duratec #64
No Lunch or Res, 2 Alpine Type R 12's, 2 Profile AP1000m Amps, Kenwood head unit, and shorty antenae mod
Old 07-14-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
teddy2heavy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25743
What I Drive: 2005, silver, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 teddy2heavy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
So wait right now you have a 2.0 auto

TEAM DURATEC #01
Old 07-14-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
teddy2heavy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25743
What I Drive: 2005, silver, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 teddy2heavy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
With the money your about to spend do what a friend and i are doing. buy yourself and old 92-95 honda hatch and swap in the rsx-r motor and boost it.

TEAM DURATEC #01
Old 07-14-2006, 09:08 AM   #8
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Quote:
Originally posted by archie
how easy would it be to change the compression later down the road, would it be a matter of just new pistons ?

can someone please explain compression and the effects. i know for a fi setup you want a low compression, but for now i am going completely n/a.
Easy? Not very. You more or less have to remove the engine just so you can remove the pistons. (You could do it with the crank still in place, but to remove the head, you have to remove the passenger motor mount while supporting the engine from below, where you are working)

The reason you want a lower compression ratio for FI is to allow for more psi before you start detonating. The higher compression will force you to run a lower psi. However, if you go to low to allow for high amounts of boost, your off-boost power would be really low.

Things to also consider about going from NA to FI is cam selection. Along with compression, agressive cams are needed on a NA engine to make power. That usually means large overlap on the cam lobes. FI engines don't like much overlap, as it can bleed off pressure. Going from a high HP NA engine to a high HP FI engine will require those cams to be changed.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
archie
Focus Addict

so what is a good compression to run now, that wont require too much changing if i decide to boost it in a couple years.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Probably stock compression. Won't be wowzer NA power, and won't be giggity giggity FI power either.

Bookmarks & Social Networks