SVT A/S Tire Suggestion - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-11-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
racer1735
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13782
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 racer1735 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SVT A/S Tire Suggestion

I'm in the market for some new rubber for my SVT. I don't autocross, race or anything edgy, but do drive hard, don't lift when the sign say's 'slow' and need mileage as well as an all-season rating.

I've narrored it down to the Avon Tech M550 A/S ($103 - TireRack), Toyo Proxes 4 ($106 - Tire Barn; installed) and the Falken Ziex 512 ($73 - Discount Tire; installed). On paper the Avons are the 'best' tire...highest UTQG rating, stiff sidewall, etc. Downside would be limited availability and higher entry price (plus shipping and mounting). The Toyo's appear to be a very good tire with the only down-side being a slightly lower mileage potential. The Falkens are the 'bargain' tire...I've heard good and bad regarding various factors (flat-spotting in cold weather, softer sidewall/load rating giving a 'softer' ride, etc.).

Thought I'd solicit input from those of you who may have some experience with these tires in year-round use...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006, 07:36 AM   #2
ZX4STDoug
I don't care

Fan#: 19367
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang V6 6 speed

FF Reputation: 13 ZX4STDoug Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I recently replaced my stock P6s with the Proxes 4s on my ST. While I've not driven in any snow yet, I'm very happy so far. They are fantastic in the rain, stick amazingly well for an "all-season" tire, and they are quite a bit quieter than the P6s were.

I have a customer of mine who runs the Avons on his 05 Legacy GT year 'round. He is always telling me what great tires they are, etc. and that he'd replace them with the same tire once they wear out. Said they're decent in the winter (AWD helps of course) but really praises them in the summer/rainy months.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either really. The Toyo might have better availability (in case of a flat, etc), and as a little side bonus they're offering right now a really slick Mequiars car care/cleaning kit for free, with the purchase of 4 Proxes 4s.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:07 AM   #3
tec-9-7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36870
What I Drive: 2008 WR Blue Mica Impreza WRX

FF Reputation: 1 tec-9-7 Good Standing Member
I haven't had either on a Focus, but on other cars, I've been pleased with both the Continental ContiExtreme Contact, and the Kumho ASX. Your definition of "all-season" will play into this quite a bit, of course. Here in WA, all-season means basically a tire that's very competent in rain, with snow entering into the equation only rarely, unless you go looking for it.

Of the three you mention, I'd probably be inclined to go with the Toyo, as most of their line seems well though of.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
ZX4STDoug
I don't care

I had forgot to mention the Conti ContiExtreme Contact too. I had them for a couple of years on an older Audi 90CS Quattro. Loved them in the dry/rain, and they weren't too shabby in snow either, but again AWD helped a lot. Only real complaint I had was that they tended to "flat spot" after sitting overnight, but that'd work its way out after a few miles of driving.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
I've got a set of Falken GR Beta FK451's. great summer tire, pretty quiet, handles better than the stock conti's, but I only expect about 30-40k miles out of them. the treadwear rating is the same as the conti's, but the conti's are known to wear prematurely
Old 07-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
ZX4STDoug
I don't care

My Contis had a bit over 32K on them when I sold the Audi. Still had ok tread left, but I wasn't expecting more than another 4-6K out of them.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #7
polar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14064
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 polar Good Standing Member
I am also very pleased with my Proxes4 as well. They have some whine, but I believe that is because mine are siped.

I've got some pics of them up in my gallery.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #8
racer1735
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13782
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 racer1735 Good Standing Member
Just to update, my idea of 'all-season' is some competence in snow. I commute 110 miles each day and we do get some snow/ice in the winter. I've heard Falken's and Hankook's are prone to flat-spotting when cold.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #9
ZX4STDoug
I don't care

We've had fairly mild winters the past couple of years ourself. I don't expect ANY "all-seaon" tire to be as good as a dedicated snow/winter tire would be, and like you simply expect some level of competence in snowy conditions. By nature all season tires are a compromise, good in many aspects of their intended performance, but not the best at any one thing.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:05 PM   #10
Toolman00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I recommend NOT getting Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S if you are in Indiana. They worked ok for one winter (brand new), but they lacked lastyear.

How about picking up another set of wheels and getting some winter tires for them.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->