body side moulding paint chipping - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-03-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
knives out
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 36664
What I Drive: 2001 SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 knives out Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
body side moulding paint chipping

Hello, I'm new here and have been searching high & low for a rough idea on my car's situation. I have a 2001 Focus SE sedan.. it runs great & I love it, the only real problem I have with it is the paint is chipping on my drivers side body side moulding. (Don't know if thats the actual name but thats what my dad calls it )

I am looking to get it fixed, however I don't know if I take it to a body shop if I'll get fleeced on the paint job alone or not. Or if its cheaper to buy new body side mouldings installed. Its mostly just the drivers side that is chipping.. however the passenger side its like the glue wasn't strong enough. Any suggestions/feedback?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
hondaluver
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28163
What I Drive: silver 03 hatch-my baby

FF Reputation: 1 hondaluver Good Standing Member
the person before you painted em and did a shit ass job...take them off (double stick tape) sand then down and either get em redone or do it yourself. If you get em redone at a shop yer looking at around $80-100 reinstalled. If you do it yourself depending on where you get the paint around $60-80. Good luck

The more you live, the more you learn

Check out the new pics!!
Old 07-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
CrazyMatt
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe

Fan#: 2179
What I Drive: 2009 Octane Blue Pearl Lancer GTS

FF Reputation: 6 CrazyMatt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Ooo Man...... take it to a couple different places... including a dealership.. see what kinda prices they will give you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
^Slow your roll Dirk Diggler or you're going to have be back in the hospital with broken nuts!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
FULLBLOWN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33422
What I Drive: 2003 Cloud 9 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FULLBLOWN Good Standing Member
Yeah, the base model focus did not come with painted side moldings. Who ever did the paint job simply did not know what they were doing.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
T-V
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7690
What I Drive: '07 SES 3-Door - Pitch Black

FF Reputation: 23 T-V Great Standing Member
Like the others said, I would pull them all off, sand them fiercely until they are totally smooth, then spray on 3-5 coats of primer. After they are primed, spray about 5-7 LIGHT coats of Duplicolor CD Silver paint on them, then spray about 6 light coats of clear coat over that and let it sit out all night to dry.

For added sheen, you can wait for the clearcoat to dry fully, then wetsand it a bit, polish it and add more coats of clear if necessary.

Someone verify that I got the process right, so I'm not responsible for bad side moldings. LOL.

I'm pretty sure that's all you need to do.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
Foci_Fosho
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
damn, that's a lot of paint. ^^^
Normally I'll shoot 2 thin coats of primer, or adhesion promoter, and 3 coats of DuPont paint mixed with high gloss.

you'll need a preval sprayer to do it, but it's a perfect color match. $30 should be total cost for paint and materials.

Either way, DuPont, or Duplicolor, it'll get the job done nicely. Also you will need 3M adhesive tape... this can be found at the same place you buy your paint.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:03 AM   #7
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
PERFECT reason why I always say to get them done 'professionally'..........
Old 07-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #8
T-V
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7690
What I Drive: '07 SES 3-Door - Pitch Black

FF Reputation: 23 T-V Great Standing Member
It seems like a lot of paint, but by "light coats", I meant just basically misting the surface each time to ensure even coverage. By the time you reach 5 coats or so, you should have full, healthy coverage on the surface with no runs. The first few coats will probably still have the primer showing a bit.

Quote:
Originally posted by Foci_Fosho
damn, that's a lot of paint. ^^^
Normally I'll shoot 2 thin coats of primer, or adhesion promoter, and 3 coats of DuPont paint mixed with high gloss.

you'll need a preval sprayer to do it, but it's a perfect color match. $30 should be total cost for paint and materials.

Either way, DuPont, or Duplicolor, it'll get the job done nicely. Also you will need 3M adhesive tape... this can be found at the same place you buy your paint.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
knives out
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 36664
What I Drive: 2001 SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 knives out Good Standing Member
so I got a quote of $214 w/ tax from Maaco today.

Paint alone is going to cost 125. $10 for tape, and $53 for labor.

Considering the rough idea of 120 I got from here, I'm wondering if they're trying to rip me off. But, considering how cheap my car looks with the chipping paint, I guess its worth it. I tentatively scheduled my car to go in next Friday.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:02 PM   #10
Foci_Fosho
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
rip off! maaco will paint a whole car for 400-500... I know they just do an "alright job" nothing outstanding...

Paint them yourself... If you are scared of removing them... you can do what I did and mask off the whole side of the car... worked great.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->