SVTF vs Celica GT-S - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #11
bigjordan
AAAHHHHH!!!!

Fan#: 35026
What I Drive: miata

FF Reputation: 7 bigjordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by Anaxagoras1986
I was glad to see a mag ripping on the 2zz engine in the Elise. For the price the Elise is slow and it doens't do as well on the track as people like to think it does. I think the wors they used was that the Elise's engine needs to get blown worse than Dick Cheney or something. It was pretty funny!

straight line speed is not the point of the lotus. the first elise only had 118hp and was regarded as one of the best sports cars of the 90s. the lotus elise is the purest production sports car that you can buy, with no exceptions (cant really count the ariel atom or catheram).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #12
..:: sleestak ::..
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
never seen one at our autocrosses, but there are two Elises and they are no slouch on the course.

There is a kid that rips through our neighborhood all the time in a celica...not sure if it is a GT or GTS....but i would love to spank him

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues
Old 07-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #13
Anaxagoras1986
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34536
What I Drive: SVTF

FF Reputation: 15 Anaxagoras1986 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
It handles well but if you see them line up against the likes of a Vette, Boxster, etc they usually loose on the race track. And the damn thing is rediculously expensive. Also when you see them compraed against the Vette they always use RACE compound tires whereas the Vette is using street tires. Putting race compound tires on it's competition would really dethrone the Elise.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:03 PM   #14
bigjordan
AAAHHHHH!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaxagoras1986
It handles well but if you see them line up against the likes of a Vette, Boxster, etc they usually loose on the race track. And the damn thing is rediculously expensive. Also when you see them compraed against the Vette they always use RACE compound tires whereas the Vette is using street tires. Putting race compound tires on it's competition would really dethrone the Elise.
depends on how fast the track is. sure, if the track is made up of long straights and sweepers then the elise would be beaten by the superior horsepower of the vette or porsche but on a tight and twisty track it would be very close (depending on driver skill). oh, and the elise is in the same autocross class as the porsche gt3 and z06. they are not ridicously expensive. a base model elise costs just over 40k. tell me when the last time was that you saw a new porsche for that price.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #15
venomfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 907
What I Drive: A fast 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 venomfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I never had a chance to race a celica gt-s yet. always wanted to see what my car and do against them.....oh i dont have a SVT
Old 07-07-2006, 05:49 PM   #16
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
In the lotus the gearing is better than in the celica so it can keep the car in the sweet spot alot better. The celica is like our SVT 6 gears and you would figure they be close right.....NOPE!! The cars are autocrossers just like the SVT. Imagine how the Matrix or Vibe feels like driving around town with that TQ less motor in it. Thats the only reson I have not bought one was because of the gearing.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 07-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #17
Anaxagoras1986
Focus Addict

My friend's GTS feels like it is geared ALOT lower than our 6 speeds. It might just be the smaller 16" wheels though I don't know...

And comparing the Lotus to the Porsche from a value perspective is kinda crazy. The Porsche is a beautiful car that is very luxurious and is more car than the Lotus Elise. Yes I know that wasn't what the Lotus was designed to be like but the Porsche is, in my eyes, a very good VALUE. As an owner of a classic and driver of the new ones I can verify that they are some of THE highest quality cars you can buy. And if maintained or watched properly they are also extremely reliable- contrary to what people like to think about them. Even my old school baby still handles better than 99% of the cars that I have been in. The only car that I have been in that feels as confident and smooth in a hard turn is a FFR Cobra which is in a class of it's own.

The Lotus is a stripped out go-kart that handles like it is on rails and still has enough power to push it along pretty damn quickly and beat the hell out of you if you even look at a bump in the road. The Porsche is a very luxurious CAR that handles like it is on rails and has enough power to embarass 60s Muscle cars and has a firm but not jarring ride. Yes it costs more than the Elise, and yes the Elise can keep up in tight lower speed corners but the Porsche can race while still being a perfect DD which is something the Elise could never dream to do.

Last edited by Anaxagoras1986; 07-07-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:01 PM   #18
bigjordan
AAAHHHHH!!!!

if you want a daily driver though, why not just buy an audi. the elise does make a better track car as far as value is concerned. the light weight of the elise allows it to go further on brake pads and tires than the porsche would be able to. some would argue (myself included) that sports cars should not be very luxurious and that you should be the one driving the car instead of the traction control program. dont get me wrong, i have always liked porsches and i always will, but for pure excitement and driving pleasure i would take the elise over any current production porsche(unless of course we are talking gt3).
Old 07-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #19
Anaxagoras1986
Focus Addict

Your right about the value for a track car- if it is a turn key that your looking for although you can pick up turn key FFR Cobras for that price and it would run circles around the Elise on almost any track.

I agree with the beauty of a pure bred sports car without TC or SC and in that case, the FFR beats the Elise again for pure race-car feel. Still, I can't argue with you against the Elise being a good car for a sports car purist, I just don't have enough money to buy two dream cars :p
Old 07-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #20
old_grendel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28836
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 Black MTX

FF Reputation: 4 old_grendel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i look at it that u can buy 2 elises for about the price of one porsche 911...does the 911 perform twice as well as the elise? i doubt it...im not saying that the elise is the best car in the world, im just saying that they are fairly cheap and they perform fairly well...and at the end of the day...are you really using all 300+ hp/tq to turn a corner that can be taken at most at 40 mph...

Bookmarks & Social Networks