My Flexpipe is buzzing... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-17-2004, 02:26 PM   #1
SVT_AVENGER
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 5017
What I Drive: Black 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 SVT_AVENGER Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My Flexpipe is buzzing...

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but have always read your posts that have been so useful to me . So I'm so happy to finally talk to you guys and share with you my little SVTF ups and downs.
So my first post is about my flexpipe. I just installed an Off road pipe as well as a magnaflow cat back system. However, due to the very loud and deep sound produced, my flexpipe is ALWAYS buzzing at 3000RPM and it's very bothering. I was thinking about getting a new flexpipe and why not a stainless high flow one. I was looking on Trubendz 2.25 Focus Flex pipes but I don't know if it would fit to the 2002 SVTF
So any idea about where I could get the best flexpipe that would fit to my Offroad pipe and Magnaflow Cat-Back ? Also I'm not sure If I need the 2.25 or 2.5 one...

Please if you have any suggestion, don't hesitate
Thank you guys...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2004, 02:35 PM   #2
GonFishin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 262
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2006 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 GonFishin Good Standing Member
I don't think it's your flex pipe. My car does it too (although I have a different exhaust setup). It turns out that the EGR tube is a compression fitting and for some reason I'm unable to get it tight enough to re-seal it. I used some of that copper silicone sealant around the fitting, but not in it because I didn't want that silicone recyling into my engine, and it stopped the noise for about a day. I'm planning on putting a washer or something in there fill the gap when I can get around to it. I've dissasembled and reassembled my exhaust system a few times to stop this noise, and this is what I've found. Now I'm tired of messing with it, but the noise bothers me badly! It won't hurt anything on your car....but it's sure annoying isn't it???

2006 Mustang GT / Intake / Exhaust / Tune
roughly 290rwhp & 315rwtq
Old 03-17-2004, 02:53 PM   #3
SVT_AVENGER
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

First, Thank you GonFishin for that instant reply

To answer you question... HELL YES it's annoying
But you know what... all my mods are being installed by a ford dealer. and the mechanic reported first that I had a leak between the flexpipe and the resonator as we noticed a blackened edge of the flexpipe. Then he changed the gasket of a thicker one. So I guess the leak is gone but the buzzing sound just won't go
Then he checked it out again and called an assistant to rev the engine while we were looking at it under the lift. We clearly saw that the mesh flex section was making that buzzing sound I HATE
So he told me that there is no problem technically speaking but if it really annoys me, I could try another tighter flexpipe and hope for the parasite sound to fade away...

Well now I'm desperate
Old 03-17-2004, 03:06 PM   #4
GonFishin
Focus Addict

If it's your stock flex pipe...why didn't it buzz before your installed the rest of your exhaust?
The fact that it kicks in at 3000rpms indicates the EGR since I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong...please) the EGR is activated around 3000rpms and closes under full throttle...this is supposed to give you better gas mileage on the interstate or something since you drive around 3000rpms at 70mph in overdrive. However, my noise persists at full throttle, so I question that fact since it's obvious after messing with it so much that that's where my noise comes from.

I could be wrong. I'm just comparing it to my issue which sounds EXACTLY like yours.

BTW: I replaced my flex pipe....focus sport $109 @ www.newedgeperformance.com (I thought this was my problem because it's a mesh and I got the "cheap" flex pipe, but it's my EGR making the noise).

Old 03-17-2004, 03:10 PM   #5
viney266

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Memberviney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
You have already done what I was going to suggest and put it up and isolated the buzz.
Is there any way you could change the frequency of vibration, ie. put a simple hose clamp all the way around the flex pipe, or look at the attachment points and see if you can tweak something one way or another to get rid of it, maybe even just loosen it all up and retighten it again..try that..Good luck, those little buzzes can drive you nuts ( I'm chasing one one a miata right now)
Old 03-17-2004, 03:19 PM   #6
SVT_AVENGER
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Before the mods It was buzzing too but differently at about 2000-2200RPM and the noise wasn't that annoying. Sometimes It came sometimes not. But I guess now that the sound is deeper IMO it shakes more aggressively the mesh over the tubing.
Note that I live in a very cold city and we just had a hell of a winter that made me feel an unhappy focus. So maybe the cold has something to do with it...

Well, If you are telling me that changing your flexpipe didn't solve anything then that's even worse isn't it ?
Any other help would be appreciable...
Old 03-17-2004, 03:25 PM   #7
GonFishin
Focus Addict

Do like Viney said and try to seal off your flex pipe and see if that's the problem. I didn't replace my flex pipe to solve the problem...I simply thought the aftermarket flex was causing the problem, and was wrong.

Old 03-17-2004, 03:39 PM   #8
SVT_AVENGER
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Ok I understood so I'm going to do some tests and post some replies about it... now let's suppose it's the flexpipe, which one do you recommend for a 2002 SVTF ? Trubendz ? are they compatible with the SVT model ? as they don't specify...
Thanks again guys

Bookmarks & Social Networks