clutch problems? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
FoCuSoNtHiS67
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30672
What I Drive: 2002 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 FoCuSoNtHiS67 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
clutch problems?

Recently when ive been driving only sometimes the rpm's will shoot up but the car only gradually accelerates. I have looked into some things and I was wondering what is the problem, I mean the car only has 16k on it and I havent abused it at all. Do you know if there are any recalls on the 02 focus svt because i know my buddys 03 svt had a clutch recall is there one for mine. If not I hope that I can get the dealer to cover it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Byron 3465
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19159
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 1 Byron 3465 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If your car is still under warrenty you stand a chance. If you are out of warrenty you are on your own unless you have a very friendly service manager that will step up and help you out. You need to reference this Tecnical Service Bulletin (TSB's are not recalls they are information to the dealers from Ford about common problems and Ford's cure for them IF THE CUSTOMER COMPLAINS)

You need to read the TSB very carefully and make sure when you go to the dealer you ONLY complain about the problems covered by the TSB (Noise, rattling etc) if you just complain about a slipping clutch they will call it a wear item and not cover it. If they have to replace the flywheel to cure the noise problem they will also have to replace the clutch with the updated unit (the old one will not fit on the new flywheel) so you would get a new clutch out of the deal.

TSB 04-21-19 TRANSAXLE NOISE AT IDLE IN NEUTRAL WITH CLUTCH PEDAL RELEASED - PREMATURE CLUTCH WEAR
Publication Date: October 20, 2004

FORD: 2002-2004 Focus
This article supersedes TSB 04-12-02 to update the service procedure.
ISSUE:
Some 2002-2004 SVT Focus vehicles may exhibit premature clutch wear, or a clunking and rattling noise in the transaxle, mainly at idle in neutral. The noise can typically be reduced by fully depressing the clutch pedal. The premature clutch wear or noise may be caused by the dual mass flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate or by transaxle alignment.

ACTION:
Refer to the following Service Procedure.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

Check transaxle fluid level. If low, fill to correct level and retest for noise and proper clutch operation. If noise is still present or clutch is not operating properly proceed to Step 2.

Remove the transaxle. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-03C: Manual Transaxle/Transmission - MT285; Removal.
Inspect the clutch slave cylinder assembly as follows:

Inspect for leaks.
Rotate the outer race, while applying pressure and check for roughness.
Inspect for any surface scoring or burrs that may impede the sliding motion of the clutch release hub and bearing. Scoring or burrs should be polished off with a fine grade of emery paper.

Replace the clutch slave cylinder if necessary. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-02B: Clutch Controls - MT285/MTX75 Transaxle - Clutch Slave Cylinder.

Inspect the transaxle input shaft for damage, spline wear, burrs or rough surfaces. Scoring or burrs should be polished off with a fine grade of emery paper. Replace the transaxle if the input shaft is damaged and cannot be repaired.

NOTE: IT IS NORMAL FOR THE INPUT SHAFT TO APPEAR POLISHED WHERE THE CLUTCH HUB SEATS, NO ACTION IS REQUIRED UNLESS THE SPLINES ARE DAMAGED OR WORN.
Remove the clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-01C; Clutch - MT285 Transaxle - Removal and Installation - Clutch Disc and Pressure Plate.

Inspect the rear face of the engine block as follows:

Ensure that the two (2) required engine dowel pins are installed and are not damaged. If the dowel pins are missing or damaged replace as required.

Inspect the corresponding dowel pin holes on the transaxle. It is acceptable for the dowel pin holes to bear slight witness marks from a tight fitting dowel. However, if the holes are elongated then they must be measured. If elongation is greater than 0.040" (1.02 mm) out-of-round replace the transaxle.

Inspect the upper and lower separator plates for damage or warping. Replace if needed.
Inspect the crankshaft flange and flywheel mating surface for residual thread locking compound or rust. Clean as necessary.

Install the following new revised components:

NOTE: THE REVISED FLYWHEEL, CLUTCH DISC AND PRESSURE PLATE ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PRODUCTION LEVEL CLUTCH COMPONENTS. DO NOT INTERCHANGE OR MIX.
Revised dual mass flywheel and new flywheel retaining bolts. Torque bolts in sequence to 83 lb-ft (112 N-m).

Revised pressure plate and clutch disc, and new clutch pressure plate retaining bolts. Ensure the clutch disc is properly installed with "TRANS SIDE" label facing the pressure plate. Tighten pressure plate bolts two (2) turns at a time in sequence and torque to 21 lb-ft (29 N-m).

Install transaxle. Torque the transaxle bolts in sequence to 35 lb-ft (48 N-m) to ensure proper transaxle to engine block alignment. Refer to the appropriate model year Workshop Manual Section 308-03C; Manual Transaxle/Transmission - MT285 - Installation.

NOTE: THE TRANSAXLE BOLTS COME IN FOUR (4) UNIQUE LENGTHS AND WILL FIT INTO ANY OF THE THROUGH HOLES OF THE TRANSAXLE TO ENGINE BLOCK. IT IS CRITICAL THAT THE PROPER LENGTH BOLT IS INSTALLED INTO ITS PROPER MATING HOLE.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
2M5Z-7002-BD Transaxle
2M5Z-7A564-AA Slave Cylinder
4M5Z-7550-AA Clutch Disk
4M5Z-7563-AA Pressure Plate
3S4Z-6477-AA Flywheel
W702426-S303 Bolt - Pressure Plate
W707339-S430 Bolt - Flywheel
W701350-S309 Dowel Pins
WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7563 D4
Old 06-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #3
Anaxagoras1986
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34536
What I Drive: SVTF

FF Reputation: 15 Anaxagoras1986 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Sounds like a clutch to me. Are you good at shifting? Do you ever ride the clutch? Change gears and slowly let out on it? Has anyone else owned the car before you?
Old 06-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
dubalicious
Focus Addict

Fan#: 33589
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, I call her Vera.

FF Reputation: 2 dubalicious Good Standing Member
I am having the same problem with my 04, but I have 25K miles on it.
However instead of getting another stock clutch I am just using it as an excuse to pick up a Clutchmasters stage 3 and a light weight flywheel.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
focusjosh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10752
What I Drive: 2004 silver SVT 3 door

FF Reputation: 1 focusjosh Good Standing Member
Do you guys think i have this problem ????
My car when its warm and i put it in nuetral and disengage the clutch it has a rattle to it like its the throw out bearing rattling and right when i push the clutch in it stops making the rattle .. so do you think i should take it in for the TSB or is it just wear on the clutch , i have 28k miles 75k extended warrenty and im 2nd owner at 23k let me know what you think thx guys!
Old 06-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
dubalicious
Focus Addict

Go ahead and take your car in, but keep your complaint in line with the TSB and if the dealer fixes it for you... cool. If not you may end up shelling out a couple hundred bucks for a new clutch.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
spyder
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 5813
What I Drive: 2003 5door sliver svt

FF Reputation: 1 spyder Good Standing Member
couple hunderd i don't think so as clutch and flywheel is $1000. stock from ford and then you got to have them or someone put in if them alot
Old 06-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
FoCuSoNtHiS67
Focus Enthusiast

I took it into the dealer, however they said that it's up to Ford to see if they will cover the clutch since it was a recall but yes I did have a owner before me and I do not ride the clutch, I can as well shift. Thank you everyone for the help, this is why this site dominates.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:03 AM   #9
dubalicious
Focus Addict

I meant just for the clutch.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #10
FoCuSoNtHiS67
Focus Enthusiast

they wont cover the tsb, they said because its over the regular warranty and the extended doesnt work with that.

Bookmarks & Social Networks