“How To”-Getrag Shift Linkage-Counterweight Removal - Page 18 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #171
turbodave
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 39652
What I Drive: 2003 ZTW 2.3Duratec 5spd.

FF Reputation: 2 turbodave Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Robzor, Clearly you are a man who spends a lot of time thinking! I'm confused by your input shaft comments, but as I've never seen inside of a Getrag - I can't honestly say for sure. I think if you searched the net for section / ghosted pictures of the DQ250 (DSG) in the Audi's, this would be as close to the Getrag trans as you will see as it has dual layshafts with the synchros on the layshafts themselves (if anyone has a sectional of the getrag I'd be interested aswell LOL)...

Your comments on 'moving' a mass are long winded, but seem to make sense. The mass that is trying to be moved (accelerated) over a distance as you shift is going to be less than the peak synchro loads however, so the effect is minimal
But (I mentioned this in a past post) once you start the shift, when synchro efforts are low - you are in effect starting to accelerating the mass. Hence - at this point - the (still low) load at the shift knob could be a fraction lower if the mass was removed.
But - further into the shift at the peak synchro force just before the synchro unblocks, this moving mass that you've accelerated has kinetic energy, and as such can actually overcome a peak synchro force spike for example.
Reality is - the mass is very limited - so will have a very minor effect. This is not the reason for fitment anyway - at least not from my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 12:36 AM   #172
sonicsvtf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32148
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic blue svt focus

FF Reputation: 1 sonicsvtf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Removed mine today right before class. Easy to get to when you have a AEM CAI. I like the positive feel it has when engaging into gear and the effortless shift makes slaping into gear an ease. overall i think i like it.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:56 PM   #173
qjones
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27502
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black ZX5 SVT

Points 718, Level 14
Points: 718, Level: 14 Points: 718, Level: 14 Points: 718, Level: 14
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 qjones Good Standing Member
well read through the entire thread. I took off the counterweight and it is much lighter. I have to agree with those of you that did not like the notchy feel. I did what scrammer mentioned and I like it so much better. I am glad I like it that way because the rivet holding the weight is shot ( I know I can bolt something on there but that takes away the humor of it). I have to send another thank you to WD40. This is the second time I took your advice on something and just like the taylor wires it was well worth it.

Mods in Profile
Old 12-04-2006, 04:43 PM   #174
qjones
Focus Enthusiast

Points 718, Level 14
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Its Dec. 4th and I am still loving the counterweight removal. I still have to agree with Scrammer. Take the weight off and place the bracket back on. The notchy-ness is nothing and now I could not imagine driving without it. I just want to what you guys with the sts's think about it and should I go ahead and get me a short throw.. I am so happy to say I am just a few days away from finally ordering Tom's predator so I should have a happy Christmas.

Mods in Profile
Old 12-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #175
focusonthefocus
Gan-San!

Fan#: 1411
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 focusonthefocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT Robzor View Post
Here's my take on that, slow me down if I stop making sense:

I read a post a while back, maybe it was in this thread even, that somebody talked to his friend who was an engineer for SVT (I'd love to talk with him, if thats really his position..) who responded to knowledge of this "mod" with anger. Apparently, it was "put there for a reason" and removing it would put EXTRA stress on the shift cables and cause failure. This bothers me for some specific reasons.

The cables should cause the input shaft to move around to mesh with a different gear on the output shafts (plural cause we're dealing with the wierdo Getrag). The cables dont attach directly to the input shaft, they mount way too high. They actually mount to a bracket that rotates about some pin, or shaft, OR pulls out, depending on how the 2 shift cables are acting on it. This bracket must be somehow mechanically connected to the input shaft. This bracket has a post on it that feeds thru a hole on the huge brass counterweight that allows it to push the counterweight around; it actually rotates about the same axis as the bracket.

Now lets look at the system simply, both with and without this chunk of brass. You grab the shifter and shift from 1 to 2. This actuates only 1 of the cables, and I'm 90% sure thats the cable that affects rotation of the bracket, not its in/out position. You're moving the shifter, the base of which moves the cable, the cable moves the bracket, the bracket moves both the input shaft and the ~10oz brass weight. F=MA, to do this at a speed of "X" you need to apply force "Y" to the [NET MASS] of this entire assembly, and the reaction of this force is felt as tension by the shift cables.

Now keep up: Remove the weight, the system now moves an amount of mass equal to [NET MASS] - [MASS of Counterweight]. This is, obviously, a lower amount. Therefor you must conclude that to move less [NET MASS] the same distance over the same period of time (this being the speed you're shifting) you will use LESS force, which is felt as a smaller equal and opposite reaction by the cables. This would mean less tension for the cables to deal with, not more. Think of it as punching a speed bag with a force of "X", versus punching a heavybag with the same force. The heavybag would not move as far or as quickly; to move the heavybag the same distance over the same period of time, you'd need to apply more force (much more in this case), which would be felt as a larger equal-and-opposite reaction in your fist, which makes it more likely you'll bust your knuckles (shift cables).

Kay?

You're such a nerd. LOL... I think I get it.

Focus on the Mountain
Old 12-04-2006, 05:55 PM   #176
Jugomugo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16520
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-red SVT Focus #1257

FF Reputation: 1 Jugomugo Good Standing Member
I tried this mod, but after a week or two, I started experiencing problems with the gears getting stuck, especially 6th.

Re-installed the weight and works perfect now.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:33 AM   #177
Dathlok X
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14636
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF Eurotrash Edition

FF Reputation: 1 Dathlok X Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugomugo View Post
I tried this mod, but after a week or two, I started experiencing problems with the gears getting stuck, especially 6th.

Re-installed the weight and works perfect now.
Man it really just takes alot of getting used to.... I hated mine the first few weeks, I mean I hated it something fierce.. but I am ok with it now. Still it seems to snag a little but nothing like it did before.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #178
number1187svt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 30971
What I Drive: 2003 Ford SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 9 number1187svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I did this a couple months ago and I love it!

Previous:
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged Stage 2
2003 Ford SVT Focus #1187 SVT Squad #314 November 2007 ROTM
Old 12-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #179
qjones
Focus Enthusiast

Points 718, Level 14
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I still stand by removing the weight from the bracket itself. This lightens up the shift but still seems to give it a little guide ability so to speak. I am so glad I did it. I was having the same problem at first with it sticking. Now, no problems at all

Mods in Profile
Old 12-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #180
HaveBlue83

Fan#: 1358
What I Drive: a car

FF Reputation: 70 HaveBlue83 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
still working GREAT..............

Bookmarks & Social Networks