“How To”-Getrag Shift Linkage-Counterweight Removal - Page 17 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #161
turbodave
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 39652
What I Drive: 2003 ZTW 2.3Duratec 5spd.

FF Reputation: 2 turbodave Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
LOL - I don't work for Ford or Getrag... ;)

I should add - for a high-speed shift - the extra inertia adds mass which can assist to complete the shift, particually at the peak spike of synchro effort. This is very minor however - and is merely a by-product of the actual intended purpose of increasing shift comfort for the driver...

And another thought on the removal causing damage to the trans - well, something (the synchro) is wanting to move - and in turn move the shifter. This mass prevents it being able to dissipate the oscillations up the shifter and out of the transmissions - hence in theory - one could argue that removing the damper would be better for the synchros!

Reality is - you'd not notice the difference in the life of a transmission; driver abuse will have more of a factor in synchro/transmission life.

Last edited by turbodave; 10-02-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2006, 06:55 PM   #162
mustanggtandgsxr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37457
What I Drive: 02 svtf, 05 zx5

FF Reputation: 1 mustanggtandgsxr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
will it hurt the shifter cables
Old 10-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #163
stryker0086
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 39635
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 stryker0086 Good Standing Member
I also found that when doing this, removing that pesky in the way fusr box gave me quite a bit more room, its just one screw on the leftand 2 clips, on the right side, and then the harness running to the underside of the box.....it made the job much easier......
Old 10-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #164
02AllBlackSVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 37514
What I Drive: 03 Infra-Red SVTf

FF Reputation: 6 02AllBlackSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
i just got done doing this mod and it felt easier to get in reverse and everything u guys r saying bout it. thanks for sharing the how to with us
Old 10-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #165
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Memberscrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Quote:
Originally posted by mustanggtandgsxr
will it hurt the shifter cables
good question. i have been wondering the same thing.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #166
turbodave
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 39652
What I Drive: 2003 ZTW 2.3Duratec 5spd.

FF Reputation: 2 turbodave Good Standing Member
Shifter cables are damn tough pieces of kit. You'd be suprised what force an average guy can exert onto the shift knob when doing a fast shift... Hence I'd be very doubtfull if it damaged the cables in that respect; you'll probably only see the ends wearing a little more; but that'd be subjective anyway - again driver abuse will make more of a difference...

Basically - the transmission / linkage of someone who drives 'normally' 90% of the time, with a few moments of 'spiritied driving' and has modded his shift linkage, will be in better health after 50k miles than the guy who has permanently beat on his shifter / trans since day one - but NOT modified the shift linkage....
Old 10-03-2006, 11:14 AM   #167
mustanggtandgsxr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37457
What I Drive: 02 svtf, 05 zx5

FF Reputation: 1 mustanggtandgsxr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
there has been alot of people complaining that there cables pop off and all kinds of other stuff. could it be that we have weak calbles and doing this will it make it worse?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #168
SVT Robzor
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26230
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 5 SVT Robzor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Here's my take on that, slow me down if I stop making sense:

I read a post a while back, maybe it was in this thread even, that somebody talked to his friend who was an engineer for SVT (I'd love to talk with him, if thats really his position..) who responded to knowledge of this "mod" with anger. Apparently, it was "put there for a reason" and removing it would put EXTRA stress on the shift cables and cause failure. This bothers me for some specific reasons.

The cables should cause the input shaft to move around to mesh with a different gear on the output shafts (plural cause we're dealing with the wierdo Getrag). The cables dont attach directly to the input shaft, they mount way too high. They actually mount to a bracket that rotates about some pin, or shaft, OR pulls out, depending on how the 2 shift cables are acting on it. This bracket must be somehow mechanically connected to the input shaft. This bracket has a post on it that feeds thru a hole on the huge brass counterweight that allows it to push the counterweight around; it actually rotates about the same axis as the bracket.

Now lets look at the system simply, both with and without this chunk of brass. You grab the shifter and shift from 1 to 2. This actuates only 1 of the cables, and I'm 90% sure thats the cable that affects rotation of the bracket, not its in/out position. You're moving the shifter, the base of which moves the cable, the cable moves the bracket, the bracket moves both the input shaft and the ~10oz brass weight. F=MA, to do this at a speed of "X" you need to apply force "Y" to the [NET MASS] of this entire assembly, and the reaction of this force is felt as tension by the shift cables.

Now keep up: Remove the weight, the system now moves an amount of mass equal to [NET MASS] - [MASS of Counterweight]. This is, obviously, a lower amount. Therefor you must conclude that to move less [NET MASS] the same distance over the same period of time (this being the speed you're shifting) you will use LESS force, which is felt as a smaller equal and opposite reaction by the cables. This would mean less tension for the cables to deal with, not more. Think of it as punching a speed bag with a force of "X", versus punching a heavybag with the same force. The heavybag would not move as far or as quickly; to move the heavybag the same distance over the same period of time, you'd need to apply more force (much more in this case), which would be felt as a larger equal-and-opposite reaction in your fist, which makes it more likely you'll bust your knuckles (shift cables).

Kay?

Last edited by SVT Robzor; 10-03-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:08 PM   #169
SVTF_170

Fan#:
All I know is I just replaced my shifter cables on my SVT that had only 25k miles. I am going to be very leary of any mods to my shifter cable area due to my experiances and how much frustration that whole episode caused.

BTW my SVT shifts perfect with this piece still in place now that I have new cables.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #170
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^^^ 02 and most 03 models had inferrior cable ends,
and for the most part are the ones experiencing the problems with the cables popping off.
The part was re-designed, and most likely the new ones you bought are the updated parts.

This mass prevents it being able to dissipate the oscillations up the shifter and out of the transmissions -
hence in theory - one could argue that removing the damper would be better for the synchros!

I thought so...as, this is what I wrote a long time ago in this thread:
Quote:
I've been thinking about the weight and it's purpose for quite some time now.
Frankly, I think it's a detriment to the synchros.
It's meant to smooth out the shifts, by basically forcing it into gear with the weight on.
That's why (with the weight) if you miss that 1-2 shift, you can't get it back into gear because it's so far off the gate.

I rev-match ALL the time, and try not to brutally force it into gear.
Again, I can't help but believe that's exactly what the weight does...brutally force it into gear, at the loss of synchro life.

If you're gentle on the shifting, and most importantly properly rev-match when shifting,
this mod is extremely rewarding due to the much lighter shifter feel.

I'm keeping the weight off my linkage for good...period.
I really appreciate you stepping in here turbodave, THANKS!
And, to FocusFanatics!

Bookmarks & Social Networks