“How To”-Getrag Shift Linkage-Counterweight Removal - Page 16 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2006, 04:09 PM   #151
tazz3131
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8558
What I Drive: 2002 SVT CD Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 1 tazz3131 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
ok just did the mod and did read all 13 pages of this stuff and found nothing on my problem, my tranny light is on. so i have no clue but i drove down to the gas station drove all 6 gears and downshifted and they are all there and work no problems, but the tranny light is on i think it's mad about me taking off the weight, but trying to take it off i did move it side to side to find the best pisiton (sorry my spelling is bad i just spent 3 months in mexico city lol my english is bad) to get at with the wrench, any ways it works fine i like it but i don't like the tranny light. HELP por favor... lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2006, 04:39 PM   #152
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^^^I'd ask that question in the Technical Chat Forums...
EDIT
Response is in this thread now:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...postid=1253996
Old 09-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #153
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally posted by NvyGuardsman
Does this only work on the SVT or is it the same on all manual foci?
SVT (Getrag) only.
You have to cut the counterweight off of The MTX-75 (5 speed), and I'm not exactly sure where to cut it.
Best to ask about that in the Zetec Performance Chat...
Old 09-27-2006, 07:52 AM   #154
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
i drilled off the weight itself and re-installed the arm piece. from my experience of removing it completely, and the way i have it now, id suggest to everyone to remove the wieght and re-install the arm. its a happy medium
Old 09-27-2006, 07:57 AM   #155
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
Scrammer, with just the arm in place is some did some of the notchiness go away?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #156
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
^^yes. some of the notchiness did go away! its like combining both worlds. notchiness and easy throwablility. a must-do mod in my book! just start drilling from underneath the wieght. eventually the "rivet" will go away, and the wieght will fall off. dont burn your bit and keep it lubed.
happy modding
Old 09-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #157
Darth Focus
I miss my Turbo SVTF

Fan#: 6849
What I Drive: 1988 Mazda 323 GTX

FF Reputation: 1 Darth Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Worst mod ever. Shifter felt like crap, put the weight back on and its like butter.
Corksport IC, CFDF Clutch, 2.5" Turboback, Konis,
Suspension Tech Springs, 22mm Rear Sway, + More.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:34 PM   #158
04EuroSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5522
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver EURO SVT 5Dr

FF Reputation: 1 04EuroSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Nice mod.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:35 PM   #159
turbodave
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 39652
What I Drive: 2003 ZTW 2.3Duratec 5spd.

FF Reputation: 2 turbodave Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Only just noticed this thread as I'm a relative newbie...

I am however a transmission design engineer, and can hopefully add a little insight...

As some have figured out, this mass is called an inertia damper. It isn't to do with making shifts slower / quicker or anything like that; it's purely to increase shift comfort for the driver; specifically as the synchro momentarilly comes 'off block' towards the end of the synchronising action, which (as stated by those who've experienced it) creates an unpleasant 'shift notch' - also known as shift nibble or shift Buzz.

It's an interesting phenomenon - and you can build two transmissions seemingly identically, with the same stackup and tolerances - and they can have different effects. In a full production run - you can experience vastly differing results - just like shown by the vary differing and random reports here. Clearly no-one would buy a car that buzzed your hand every time you shift, so a unit like this is added to damp the shift oscillations coming OUT of the transmission back up to the shifter...

It performs its task simply by being a mass that these high-frequency (but low magnitude) oscillations cannot accelerate, hence damping them out.
It does natuarally make for a slightly more 'wooly' shift, but this is an acceptable trade-off from an OEM perspective.

As regards why the job wasn't done properly the first time - especially as many other OEM trans don't have them; well you don't design synhros to do this - and there are many factors that affect it - gear/shaft inertia, clutch friction disc inertia, speed, oil viscosity, stackup, engagement tooth angler / offset, etc... Basically - if shift nibble is realised through the prototype testing - then it's a damn site easier to stick a mass on the end of the shift arm than it is to re-design the synchros!!!

Finally - If you remove the mass, you certainly won't be doing any harm to the trans - even if it buzzes to the point that is uncomfy.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:12 AM   #160
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
Thank you so much for finally telling everyone that this WONT hurt the trans. I have tried to tell everyone but some still think this will cause damage. On a side note there Dave, can you get your hands on any of the other gearing for the 285 trans?

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->