The Future of Pontiac and RWD for GM!!! - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-11-2006, 11:36 PM   #1
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The Future of Pontiac and RWD for GM!!!

I cant put up the article b/c it was in a local paper "newsday" but they have a special section called Wheels for cars and every sunday they put different articles about the automotive world besides the usual ads and classifieds. Anyway some of you may heard about GM wanting to merge all pontiac gmc and buick dealerships and limiting their productions. But GM also has a plan to make Pontiac a pure performance devision again, this being all cars will be rwd and they will no longer have any suvs or trucks badged as pontiacs....same may go for buick....grand national anyone. Anyway this is being considered but the change will take time and nothin will start until the end of the decade. Some things that are planned is replacing the Grand prix and replacing it with a new midsized rwd sedan. Whether itll be called something else or bare the Grand prix name is still to be determined, and the discontinuation of the fwd GP will not happen till after the 08 model year. Besides a revival of the GTO using the chevy camaro platform, Pontiac is also thinking about bring back a firebird muscle car, but making it a different product, and not just having it be a rebadged camaro. Who knows if this will happen though, considering that moving pontiac and buick to having just rwd would take alot of effort, but maybe thats what GM needs. Also they are considering the fact that some people in the northern states like the stability of a fwd car, and the success of the fwd g6 is making Bob lutz and GM truley look this over.

So it seems the end of the decade is going to bring us alot of interesting things in the automotive industry in america....MKIII focus may be coming to US, camaro, and challenger may be coming back, and possibly Pontiac becoming once again a true pefromance company. Lots of good things happening, i think the end of the decade is going to be really good. Im sure well see some changes to ford as well come the end of the decade and hopfully more SVT vehicals or some sort of performance devision from ford.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2006, 01:04 AM   #2
nomoreavril
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31008
What I Drive: 06 Chevy Cobalt LS 5speed

FF Reputation: 1 nomoreavril Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
theyve kinda already started doing the pontiac to performance thing, look at all their cars, except for the lame vibe...theres the solstice, g6, grand prix, gto , g5 wow theylike g's
*FOR SALE*NEEDS TO GO: FS DURATEC STRUT BAR 50$ -ZX3/ZX5 SIDE SKIRTS PM ME!!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
DrkKnight614
GO Green

youd think more people would be responding to this
Old 06-12-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
igor
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 25921
What I Drive: 2004 Mazda3s Sedan MTX

FF Reputation: 1 igor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Pontiac is rumored to become Holden USA the way Saturn is Opel USA.

it will not be as estreme as the article makes it sound though.. but GM said their strategy will be to keep al lthe brands, but reduce the models, to reduce overlap and make each brand more specific...

we shall see.. but RWD is coming back to my surprise/ or whatever...

Igor
Old 06-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #5
focus_06_gfx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35635
What I Drive: 2006 sonic blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 focus_06_gfx Good Standing Member
RWD is back, chrysler has already taken the ball and ran with it.. and its doing them wonders, However 340 hp and 390 tq on the 300c.. isn't all that much fun in the winter if ur 60 like my step-dad...he had it for 4 months and traded it in for an AWD 300c....
don't get me wrong great fun if you want to have that kind of fun, but if ur driving everyday to work and want the power for weekend fun... AWD is a better option .. so my suggestion is that GM make an avail. AWD option
Old 06-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
DrkKnight614
GO Green

^^^also it depends on where you live dont forget about that, thats why they are thinking about it, i believe more people who will buy domestic rwd performance cars are in the areas such as the midwest and down south where they dont get snow at all. There is a large amount of imports up here in the north. But yea i get what you mean. Why would GM make pontiac rebadged Holdens, i dont see that happening at all, they tried it with the GTO, and it tanked, i dont think many people will buy austrailain style cars. Opel is different, b/c its european and its more instyle here.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
Endless Mike
Banned

Fan#: 35261
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Endless Mike Good Standing Member
GM also forgot that whole advertising thing with the GTO. It should be killing the Mustang.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:31 PM   #8
bumblebee07
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48686
What I Drive: 2007 Yellow ZX5, 1985 Corvette

FF Reputation: 1 bumblebee07 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Mike View Post
GM also forgot that whole advertising thing with the GTO. It should be killing the Mustang.
Yeah they dont advertise worth crap. They had a commercial for the C6 when it came out and then scrapped it. Not that they need one to sell the Corvette, but it would have helped the GTO.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:48 PM   #9
Tom
FF Founder

Fan#: 2
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen ZX3 SES Turbo

FF Reputation: 60 Tom Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
I'm glad GM is finally getting their act together by condensing their model line-up and making them more unique.

What I still don't understand is why they can't condense their engine selection as well. Instead of having ten different V6s or V8s, etc., for various models. They should focus on building fewer and better quality motors. Is it really that necessary that some models offer 3 or 4 different types of 6 Cylinders?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #10
N3M3S1SFOCI
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49684
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3 MTX-75

FF Reputation: 1 N3M3S1SFOCI Good Standing Member
Look at the G8 that is is coming out! 4 door RWD car with monster V8, ATX or 6MT... Drooling looks good too, not Pontiac cladding. Ford should be in panic mode, not just worried anymore. Mercury and Lincoln need to be brand specific not rebadged or different trim lines anymore...
Last of the Hatches #25
Team Duratec #116

Bookmarks & Social Networks