How to: Redline QuickLIFT Hood Struts (2005+ Focus) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Fredness
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26710
What I Drive: 2005 Cloud White ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Fredness Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How to: QuickLIFT Hood Struts (2005+ Focus)

There are two kits HoodQuickLIFT and HoodQuickLIFT Elite, but the '05+ focus only comes in the "Elite" (Polished) kit.

Purchased from a fellow RPS member (Ranger Site); "underdog", at http://underdog-performance.com

You know that 2005+ prop-rod sux. It's an annoyance, it's ugly and it's not exactly easy to use. Well, this kit gets rid of it (or you can leave it for emergencies).

Click here for the "Vendor review"

I won't comment on the procedures, since they are all there, I'll just point out some little observations:

Layout all the tools you'll need to be sure you have everything. I couldn't find my center punch (Wife steals it for craft work), so I used a roofing nail. Notice the small white cap on the install guide, I used the end of the shipping tube to keep the rivets from rolling and the strut locking clips from running away.

First thing you notice, is there is just 1 hood strut, why? Well, the passenger side has the washer reservoir in the way!

Next thing you will notice is (on the Mexican Cars at least), there is a foam gasket in the way. I removed it or you can slide it forward, out of the way. Either way, don't toss it, we'll use it again later.

Make sure you get the #11 drill bit, my local hardware store had it for $3, and it made short work of the project with the rivets needing just the slightest wiggle to fit snugly.
Pay VERY close attention to the part about wrapping tape on the drill bit. Personally, I would invest a couple bucks in a drill stop or some other collar to act as a positive stop. Being concerned about over-drilling, I did the lower mounts first, I punched right through the tape on the very first hole. Take it easy, let the NEW drill bit do the work!

The directions state that the ball should face out and be centered between the bumps, but MAKE SURE you leave enough room to install the ball end of the strut!! I double checked it with the strut end before drilling.

Here is another angle showing the rag I used between the body and the rivet gun. I like to "Sneak up" on the rivet by taking little bites instead of one long shot at it. This seems to reduce the violence of the pop and that means less risk to your precious paint!

There is a remark about using matching color paint to fill the holes you drill, but I decided to use RTV Silicone instead, I coated the hole and the rivet. Once one side is snug (don't pop it yet!), I marked and center punched the next hole (it was off from the first attempt). I swung the bracket out enough to clear, drilled and RTV'd the second hole and rivet. Once the second rivet was snugged, I set both rivets, wiped the excess RTV off and reinstalled the seal.

Same with the top....

Here is a shot of the rivet gun being backed off to "sneak up" on the breaking point:

Installing the hood strut is trickey. It has to come in at a 90 degree angle to the base, so you have to swing it out, away from the hood. The top end MUST be done first...

Be sure to install the clips!

Then set the botton of the strut, install the clips and you're done!

One more to show off the K&N AirCharger...

Sweet!!

All text and photos are the property of RoguePerformance (Me) and are not to be reused without my written permission, thanks!

'05 ZX3 ("S") Team Duratec #56
Engine: Modified MBRP Stainless Exhaust, K&N AirCharger, SCT LiveWire (dealer), ScanGauge, poly "dogbone" bushings.
Stereo: '05 Mustang Shaker500 H/U, Polk DB570's and an Infinity BassLink SubWoofer.

Last edited by Fredness; 05-30-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
focusin
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Which kit did you get exactly?

I see quick lift & quick lift elite. Whats the diffrence, it also says 2000-2004. Where are the 05 + kits?
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 05-29-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Fredness
Focus Enthusiast

Linky: http://underdog-performance.com/id60.html

There is a '00-'04 and a '05+ kit good on the 2005/2006 models.

QuickLIFT = Black, QuickLIFT Elite = Polished, '05+ is "Elite" only.

Email underdog performance and tell them "Boss 3.0" sent you (My RPS Handle)
Engine: Modified MBRP Stainless Exhaust, K&N AirCharger, SCT LiveWire (dealer), ScanGauge, poly "dogbone" bushings.
Stereo: '05 Mustang Shaker500 H/U, Polk DB570's and an Infinity BassLink SubWoofer.

Last edited by Fredness; 05-30-2006 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
focusin
FF Cleaning Squad

Yea I found that page but if I look in the "all others" there is no 05 + option to highlight.

I might buy them today if I can find the right one to highlight.
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 05-29-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
Fredness
Focus Enthusiast

E-mail him, link is in the post above...

Last edited by Fredness; 05-29-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
focusin
FF Cleaning Squad

Ok I sent one.

How did you order yours if the option was not available on the site? I'm assuming you just talked to them directly on RPS.

BTW yes i plugged your name in there for you.
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)

Last edited by focusin; 05-29-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
Fredness
Focus Enthusiast

We both do 3.0L performance parts on the Rangers, so I knew about the products from there. I just emailed him about the '05+ parts.

I've also let him know about the website problem, hopefully it's fixed soon.

Thanks for the "referal"!

BTW: I did the install by myself, in the drizzle in under 30 minutes. I could do a 2nd set in under 15 minutes once everything is rounded up!

Last edited by Fredness; 05-29-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
focusin
FF Cleaning Squad

Damn!!

I already got the reply AND he already updated the site for the 05 + focus.
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 05-29-2006, 11:20 PM   #9
Fredness
Focus Enthusiast

I told you the service was great!
Old 05-30-2006, 11:58 AM   #10
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Fred, I'm gonna move this to Exterior (thanks for all the info and pics!) and get it linked to the How-to Archive. If you'd like to make another Vendor post for this guy, go ahead and do that.

Bookmarks & Social Networks