This Is Why Street Racing Should Be Illegal - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-01-2006, 03:54 AM   #71
Frost__2001
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3412
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Frost__2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by babyface
hey, i got a question. Is it bad to be doing a stoplight race, with a mustang, up to the speed limit, in this case, 50mph?

As in, i was at the light in the Porsche, and a 05+ Mustang GT comes up and revs me. We go at the light, and kill it when we hit 50. I won, lol
This type of racing is fine to me because you going to the limit only and your not going on for blocks and risking anyone else, as that posted limit is found on small highways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2006, 06:02 AM   #72
LastRites
BAD EGG

Fan#: 8452
What I Drive: 2008 Mica-Black Mazdaspeed 3 Sport

FF Reputation: 18 LastRites Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
This type of racing is fine to me because you going to the limit only and your not going on for blocks and risking anyone else
You're a hypocrite. Even that is still street racing, it's still illegal, and yeah it increases the risk to others for your pleasure when earlier you posted this:

Quote:
Really I bet anyone who wants to justify street racing should watch that news clip of that little girl leaving her family home without her parents, looking so lost and then try to justify street racing.
Quote:
Really there is no such thing as safe street racing, You can't control the other drivers around you, and you can't tell whats down the road, and you don't win anything. So what's the point of doing it ?
So by your account then street racing would be what, running 90 MPH across an entire city? The two places that I have lived at most recently the cops can and do give out tickets for either street racing (they call it something else) or exhibition of speed without the vehicles breaking the speed limit.

There is no way you can justify that "this" level of racing is ok. You either do it or you don't. I am not an advocate of running streets but I'm honest in admitting that I sometimes do. That may be something as seemingly simplistic as a short run up to the posted limit but it's still street racing. You have multiplied the risk to others with rapid acceleration, focusing your attention on your "run" and by challenging another motorist not knowing how desperate they may be to win. I just can't comprehend that there are acceptable and nonacceptable levels of street racing.

I know, broken record: take it to a track....there are reasons why people don't save it all for a track. Tracks, auto-x, & road courses are amazing. I did alot of that stuff in the past as well and hopefully can get back into it.

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
# 908 of 1079, Born 03/16/2004
SVT SQUAD # 68
" I brake for saucy Pirate wenches"

Last edited by LastRites; 06-01-2006 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #73
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by babyface
hey, i got a question. Is it bad to be doing a stoplight race, with a mustang, up to the speed limit, in this case, 50mph?

As in, i was at the light in the Porsche, and a 05+ Mustang GT comes up and revs me. We go at the light, and kill it when we hit 50. I won, lol
Yes, it is.

More drags than not are lost because the person can't control the car at launch, and I have seen more than one person peel out only to fishtail and spear off in an unintended direction. Like;

Your direction
Other Traffic
The Sidewalk
The Ditch

None of these are fun places to be.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 06-02-2006, 12:38 AM   #74
zetecfreak
Focus Addict

Fan#: 30875
What I Drive: TURBOD Black 02 SE

FF Reputation: 9 zetecfreak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I believe making everyone attend a racing school would help. There not ubber expensive and from all the posts ive seen in another thread, they are really helpful. What do you guys think?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #75
ILuvMyZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26263
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ILuvMyZX3 Good Standing Member
^^ bad idea IMO.
I think they'd be more cocky about it, and think they're the shit cuz they went to racing school.
Now they're "experienced drivers" and nothing will stop them from "safely" street racing every car they can.
it'll just make it worse.
you shouldn't street race, period.
Team Duratec #45
Old 06-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #76
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
^^Actually, the more I learned about racing, the better driver I became. It not only instills the skills in you that allow you to drive smoothly and maintain control, but gives you respect for what happens when you step over the line, AND makes you realize just how lame street racing is compared to the real thing. That last one more than anything... Street racing is so much less interesting and exciting than the real thing, you really don't feel like wasting your time.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 06-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #77
OrangeSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3158
What I Drive: 03 SVTF Euro, 92 Mustang LX 5.8L SC

FF Reputation: 1 OrangeSVT Good Standing Member
FYI... to the thread title.. street racing IS ILLEGAL. but some people do it anyway.
#3342 of 3986
Old 06-02-2006, 03:09 PM   #78
ILuvMyZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26263
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ILuvMyZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrera26
^^Actually, the more I learned about racing, the better driver I became
well, of course, but that's not my point.

Quote:
AND makes you realize just how lame street racing is compared to the real thing.
that's exaclty my point. not everyone will take it that way. many, specially the younger and less responsible ones, will have the exact opposite (sp) attitude.

I trully appreciate your replies dude, since do you have a background in "the real thing" and you DON'T support street racing.
Team Duratec #45
Old 06-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #79
fallacious_focus
This Rabbit is slow

Fan#: 18493
What I Drive: 2008 VW Rabbit S

FF Reputation: 20 fallacious_focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
I think what could curb street racing more than anything is real driver training. IE make it as hard to get a liscence here as it is in Germany or much of Europe. In Germany you have to have hours and hours of REAL driver training that includes high-speed Autobahn and emergency manouvers experience. Only after you have paid enough to prove that you want to gain and retain the priviledge (about $3K), and know enough to safely pilot a 3000lb guided missile in close proximity to other drivers do they allow you to have a liscence.

The result? Not only are there 25% of the accidents on the Autobahn as compared to our highways but there is much less of a street racing problem. Of course, the close proximity of tracks and events for speed demons (like the good ole Nurburgring) does a lot for that as well, but I think knowledge and respect for what a car will do near the limit would make a lot of people realize how dangerous it is. Not only that, but it's much easier to lose that hard-earned liscence. In Sweden, for instance, 1 DUI = no liscence for the rest of your life. Sounds right to me!
although i think that this would be a really good idea the u.s. does not have the public transport infrastructureto support the number of people that would not br driving. another thing that you have to remember is that the u.s. is much loarger than any single country in europe. for example, i can travel 900 miles and still be in the state of texas, in europe i would be through multiple countries driving that far. i am completely for a FAR stricter licensing system.

another thing that we you (not you specifically) are forgetting are people that are simply not intelligent or of sound mind and body that shouldnt be on the road. i cant even begin to count the number of times that i have nearly been in an accident because they are older than time itself and have NO business in a car.

Sarcasm? Never heard of it.
Playing the devils advocate, just to piss you off.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #80
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Another death in Toronto this past weekend. There's a news post on FocusCanada, amazing...... just days after this accident.

Bookmarks & Social Networks