This Is Why Street Racing Should Be Illegal - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-29-2006, 11:38 PM   #41
BlackNRed01
Boost?

Fan#: 21668
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3 MTX

FF Reputation: 4 BlackNRed01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
the problem with free access is one the cost of the land and two the cost of insurance, no one realizes the risk the owner of this strip, the city has to be insured for, its really not a top priority of any major city. plus up keep costs money.

Boosted & Back: Parting Out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2006, 12:25 AM   #42
OandAWOW
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8384
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST

FF Reputation: 14 OandAWOW Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucidity
This is why every major city should have a strip with free access, and a little statement that says that only the drivers can be held responsible for any accidents that occur on the strip. If people could have a place to go where they could have a safe race, not have to wait forever, and not have to pay, well accidents like these would occur a lot less often.
1. The 95% of the people on the road who don't race, and pay their taxes aren't gonna wanna pay for this strip (myself included)
2. All the people who wreck at this free strip would still clog up our already clogged legal system with bullshit lawsuites.
3. I already pay high enough insurance for all those dumbshits on the highway on their crotch rockets doing 120 through traffic, and all of you who think you're Fernando Alonso or Petter Solberg and decide to do this racing shit on the street, and all of the SUVs that don't pay their fair share of insurance to begin with. I don't need my rates going higher for a bunch of retards who are too cheap to do it the right way and go to a real dragstrip, autoX, or road course.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:48 AM   #43
FranticFocus05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28429
What I Drive: 1993 Silver LX Foxbody

FF Reputation: 6 FranticFocus05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Just wanted to add.. I was in court last month for a speeding ticket and this guy was ahead of me.

Father of 2 young kids, had a wife, and full time job. Arrested for DUI spent the night in jail was way over the legal limit and the judge fined him $250.

In my opinion something is wrong with that.. your telling me that a man who has had to much to drink and who is weaving all over the road gets a 250 fine while two people who take off from a light can get there car impounded, jail, fines, lose license... both did what they did deliberatly, both can lose control of there cars at any instant... I just dont see how in this day and age when drunk drivers cause a majority of accidents there are not greater fines.

I am not supporting street racing, I am just wondering why punishments are so much different for crimes that can have the same affects.

---Do I street race, yes I wont deny it.
2004 Durango 4x4: ------------ DD & Two Vehicle
Old 05-30-2006, 12:53 AM   #44
LastRites
BAD EGG

Fan#: 8452
What I Drive: 2008 Mica-Black Mazdaspeed 3 Sport

FF Reputation: 18 LastRites Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
In Washington you can get a "once in a lifetime" DUI deferment if you are an alcoholic, druggie, etc. and seek treatment. After succesful treatment the charge is dropped

Me running my car up to 60-80 for like what, a city block, isn't nearly as dangerous as a junkie rolling around all over town (opinion)

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
# 908 of 1079, Born 03/16/2004
SVT SQUAD # 68
" I brake for saucy Pirate wenches"
Old 05-30-2006, 09:11 AM   #45
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
^^ yes true in some ways, not in others. You could still kill someone in that one block speed run.... it's hard to weigh in if one crime is better or lighter then another but the potential is still there. It only takes one accident to kill someone (type of saying)......
Old 05-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #46
superchop
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17483
What I Drive: '02 Sonic Blue SVTF

FF Reputation: 4 superchop Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally posted by FranticFocus05
Just wanted to add.. I was in court last month for a speeding ticket and this guy was ahead of me.

Father of 2 young kids, had a wife, and full time job. Arrested for DUI spent the night in jail was way over the legal limit and the judge fined him $250.

In my opinion something is wrong with that.. your telling me that a man who has had to much to drink and who is weaving all over the road gets a 250 fine while two people who take off from a light can get there car impounded, jail, fines, lose license... both did what they did deliberatly, both can lose control of there cars at any instant... I just dont see how in this day and age when drunk drivers cause a majority of accidents there are not greater fines.

I am not supporting street racing, I am just wondering why punishments are so much different for crimes that can have the same affects.

---Do I street race, yes I wont deny it.
You never know there might be more to it then just what you see/heard. From what i've heard if your charged with a DUI your insurance company drops you instantly (probably not all of them but i'm sure most will), and if you want to be reinsurred it's gonna be hell to find a company that'll take you, and even if they do the rates are most likely gonna be insane. The driver is also suppossed to get his license suspended for however long (I guess depends on how good a lawyer you have). There might be other little things associated with it...but these are the major ones that i've heard of. I might be wrong with some of the information though cause it has been a while since i've heard this but i'm pretty sure i didn't distort my facts that much.

Ryousuke Takahashi
Old 05-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #47
CrazyMatt
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe

Fan#: 2179
What I Drive: 2009 Octane Blue Pearl Lancer GTS

FF Reputation: 6 CrazyMatt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Always sad to see this kind of thing happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
^Slow your roll Dirk Diggler or you're going to have be back in the hospital with broken nuts!
Old 05-30-2006, 01:47 PM   #48
DirtyDeeds
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23692
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF, 2003 G35, 2001 Audi S4

FF Reputation: 5 DirtyDeeds Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
My son's friend just graduated from high school two days ago and his parents gave him a brand new 06 WRX as a graduation gift. Yesterday at 5:37 PM, he killed himself and sent 6 other people to the hospital street racing his older brother.

A family pulled out in front of him, probably thinking that at the posted speed limit (45 mph), they had plenty of space. What the family didn't know is that the WRX was going 120 mph. Race tracks are there to provide a controlled space for racing. So many things on the street are out of your control.

Think it can't happen to you???
Old 05-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #49
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just to add, the average cost of a DUI is about $7,000 overall with insurance rate hikes 'n the Breathalizer Starters 'n such.

I think if a drunk person cannot pass a field sobriety test within set tolerances, IE not just a bit over the limit but have their wits but sloppy drunk, then it should be an automatic 1 year suspension on their liscence for the first offence and a lifetime ban the second time. The statistics on how many alcohol-related accidents are cause by repeat offenders are just awful!

In all honesty, after going to SCCA events, racing somebody on the street, even if it is the safest it could possibly be, just seems terribly lame and uninteresting. Given that there's an event nearly every weekend within easy reach of everybody, I don't think we neccesarily need to start building strips... And after trail-braking at 70mph to hit the perfect apex with inches to spare, going in a straight line on a city street just couldn't sound less interesting.

Not to mention that that experience gives me an idea of how a car acts at those speeds and puts the fear of god in me if I were to try it in an unknown environment with what could be a total bonehead just a couple feet away...
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 05-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #50
Frost__2001
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3412
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Frost__2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by DirtyDeeds
My son's friend just graduated from high school two days ago and his parents gave him a brand new 06 WRX as a graduation gift. Yesterday at 5:37 PM, he killed himself and sent 6 other people to the hospital street racing his older brother.

A family pulled out in front of him, probably thinking that at the posted speed limit (45 mph), they had plenty of space. What the family didn't know is that the WRX was going 120 mph. Race tracks are there to provide a controlled space for racing. So many things on the street are out of your control.

Think it can't happen to you???
Found the News reports on it.

ABC: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...ews&id=4217545
CBS: http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/lo...150064750.html
NBC: http://www.nbc5.com/news/9291889/detail.html

Last edited by Frost__2001; 05-30-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks