This Is Why Street Racing Should Be Illegal - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #21
..:: sleestak ::..
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
I have heard a few stories about Denver police trying to seize peoples cars because of street racing. One person I know of, paid a lot of money to a lawyer to get his audi back....turns out the police left the windows down while it was in the lot and it had rained a bit, lol.

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 01:52 PM   #22
LastRites
BAD EGG

Fan#: 8452
What I Drive: 2008 Mica-Black Mazdaspeed 3 Sport

FF Reputation: 18 LastRites Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Re: Re: Re: This Is Why Street Racing Should Be Illegal

Quote:
Originally posted by ..:: sleestak ::..
Esp out here, in Colorado.....

Liquor stores are closed on Sundays & I cant find a sack anywhere this weekend.
Make friends with someone on base, Sunday sales all day

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
# 908 of 1079, Born 03/16/2004
SVT SQUAD # 68
" I brake for saucy Pirate wenches"
Old 05-29-2006, 01:58 PM   #23
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Quote:
Originally posted by Frost__2001
Well Here in Ontario our laws are very laxed at best, and this is not the 1st time some idiots killed someone, I put this thread up as Should be illegal, because most people try to defend street racing as a sport, or something they do on empty roads in the middle of nowhere.

Reality is unless people get it that you can race legally on a race track ( yes that means you'd have to pay to use a track ) and our Highways systems are not the AutoBahn, things like this will happen and the reality is innocent people will pay the price for it over the person who cause things like this to happen. Really I bet anyone who wants to justify street racing should watch that news clip of that little girl leaving her family home without her parents, looking so lost and then try to justify street racing.
Yeah it seems every week on FocusCanada.net there is a new thread about some street racer getting killed or killing someone else.

I'd personally love to punch upside the head, every person who thinks street racing is 'fine'. Wait until a close friend (or relative) of yours is killed by one of these a$$holes.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:13 PM   #24
LastRites
BAD EGG

Fan#: 8452
What I Drive: 2008 Mica-Black Mazdaspeed 3 Sport

FF Reputation: 18 LastRites Great Standing Member
I don't think it's fine, I think it's comparable. These people getting into accidents with it tend to be teenagers right? I dunno, just doesn't happen locally often enough to be impressionable. I read once about a street racer hitting a homeless guy crossing the street, once. I've read a damned similiar story regarding a similiar situation involving a standard issue driver on their way home from the office. About the video comments, I watch those types of videoes at least once a 1/4, it's required for me. Of course the angle is drunk driving and being that I don't drink I disregard those. Being that drunk driving is a much more serious problem in the country perhaps an alcohol ban is something to lobby for instead. But that didn't work out to well last time. I'll stop short of being a 100% racing advocate but I would like to argue that the death & carnage associated with it isn't even comparable (percentage wise or per capita) than other motoring incidents like all the "oopsies" or drunks.

And about the punching thing, hey bra I'm a 4 time over hardened combat vet, I punch back

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
# 908 of 1079, Born 03/16/2004
SVT SQUAD # 68
" I brake for saucy Pirate wenches"
Old 05-29-2006, 02:25 PM   #25
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
For the record, I wasn't directing that towards you. I wasn't trying to be threatening, I just get so fed up with people that think it's ok to do this. Put yourself in the shoes of that kid for example. Never being able to see either of her parents again. That is heartbreaking. That poor kid. I'm just saying, why promote it? Some people actually look at that and say 'oh well, too bad'..... it just breaks my heart what the families have to go though when something like this happens (on both sides as even the perps family will have to deal with their kids racing and the consequences also).

Your right though, there are accidents all the time, usually related to someone doing something stupid or not paying attention. This goes for 'mistakes' or 'street racing' as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:41 PM   #26
mustang2focus82
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8223
What I Drive: 2006 Grnd Touring Z

FF Reputation: 1 mustang2focus82 Good Standing Member
June 6th 1999-A man and a basket full of cute little puppies pulls up to a T intersection and tries to merge. A van parked on the side of the road has 30% tint. (over the legal limit) Driver A cant see or hear an aproaching black 18wheeler. Driver A noses out and black rig rams into Driver A and instantly kills Driver and litter of puppies.
Moral of my story is tint does indeed kill as well. Strickter laws against tint!
the end:
Old 05-29-2006, 03:07 PM   #27
ILuvMyZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26263
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ILuvMyZX3 Good Standing Member
^^I see your point. that's why there are laws regarding tint %.
most people just ignore them, because "the darker my tint, the cooler I am".

and LastRites... yes, the number of accidents caused by street "ricing" is in fact very low compared to the ones caused by alcohol. But that doesn't mean that we should go easy on street racers. I mean... the number of american deaths caused by terrorist attacks on US soil is definitely lower than any other cause of death, accidental or not. That doesn't mean you should go easy on terrorists, does it??
Team Duratec #45
Old 05-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #28
mindslide9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28299
What I Drive: 2000 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 mindslide9 Good Standing Member
The ethics of determining how wrong something really is very difficult to. The easiest way is to measure it is the reaction of the original wrongs consequence. Basically, how bad was the result. In several cases the result has been very bad like the Police officer in Vancouver and this couple from Toronto.

But you can basically boil it down to how the public is going to be the beneficiary (sp) less than the majority of people street race. Therefore protect the majority. The amount of deaths caused from street racing is probably pretty noteable but nowhere near that of guns, drugs, and drunk driving.

What I am getting to is that street racing is not something that the majority of society benefits from. There is most certainly a niche like you and I who benefit from it but it is in the public interest to crack down on street racing. I agree with them, I would me very pissed if a kid in a Civic slammed in to me because he was racing. That being said I didn't buy an SRT4 for the ride.

I think racing should be for the track. Its a lot cheaper than you think and you get giver $h*t without any danger. Race at a track, or somewhere if you crash only you get fricked up!
Old 05-29-2006, 04:16 PM   #29
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
^^Very good comments...

My $.02 on street racing comes down to 2 factors, both of which trump speeding on your own as far as danger to yourself and others.

When you are racing somebody, you will find yourself caught up in competing and doing things that you would never do if you were just trying to drive fast on your own. Just by dint of racing instead of speeding, common sense starts to take a back seat to winning. Anyone who has really raced will know all about how much the "Red Mist" can cloud your thinking.

Secondly, you are dealing with an unknown and uncontrollable factor, which is the other car. Seeing as the majority of the time it's somebody who you do not know but is eager to prove themselves, how can you possibly put your trust in their judgement and skill? It doesn't matter if you're friggin Schumacher himself, you can't control that other person's actions. And though you cannot control them, you are responsible for them both legally and morally.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 05-29-2006, 06:15 PM   #30
SpeedOften
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2139
What I Drive: E90 335i, 2002 E53 X5 4.4i

FF Reputation: 28 SpeedOften Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally posted by LastRites
So is speeding, to dark a tint...the list goes on. Illegal is illegal and there isn't much of a variance (opinion). Admittedly you can guess that somethign like 75% of street racers are asshats but then again probably an equal amount of drivers, if not higher, simply cannot drive at all whatsoever and are just as dangerous. I'm not a street racer but if everything lines up just right (safety assesment, a worthy car to run) then yeah I will at times run. Will I do 90 in a 35, no way unless it's in BFE. My record is spotless and I've caused zero accidents in my history which is doing much better than alot of 100% law abiding types. Some of us know what we are doing out there, not many but some. I remain convinced that the percentage of street racing accidents is far below that of the average "lack of ability to operate a motor vehicle" drivers.

One of the local news stations in my area ( Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, VA Beach, VA) did a report on drivers speeding while eating, talking on their cell phone and doing other things, and they followed the people to their work and homes to question them if they thought they were being unsafe...

They had one lady doing 85mph, eating, talking on a cell phone AND playing with make-up / hair all while driving.... They also had some guy doing 100mph while talking on the cell and eating too, he got all pissed and was yelling at the reporter...

Bookmarks & Social Networks