stuck in o'hare long term parking - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-28-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
hahmeta
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 3083
What I Drive: 03 silver ZX3 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 hahmeta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
stuck in o'hare long term parking

after two weeks of sitting in o'hare long term parking, parking brake on left tire wont disengage. the right one is fine. i tried to move forward and backward a couple of times hoping it would release but with no luck. i dont want to push too hard to avoid any clutch damage. it's been relatively hot here but i dont know if this has anything to do with it.

is there a way to fix this or do i have to take it to a brake shop?
ford will tow it to the dealer free since car's still under warranty but all dealers are closed tomorrow, memorial day. if anyone knows any brake/service shop around o'hare that might be open tomorrow, please let me know.
any ideas are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
MattZX3
Detailing Freak

Fan#: 30258
What I Drive: 2012 Nero Black, Fiat 500 Sport

FF Reputation: 23 MattZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
well.. my first poinion is to have it taken to a dealer, and if it is still under warranty, have the dealer fix it for free, even if it means going without a car for a day or so.

Do you use the e-brake all the time, or was this just because it was going to be parked for a while? I use the e-brake, even though i have an auto, every time i park the car, its just force of habbit from driving sticks, but its good for the brake and cables b/c i use them every day.....

on a side note, where in il do you live? cauz i live in addison, near elmhurst, villa park, itasca.. etc...
Old 05-28-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
babyface
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 29791
What I Drive: '06 ZX4 ST, '06 Escape, '87 911 Cab

FF Reputation: 5 babyface Good Standing Member
I know this sounds harsh, but try revving it and dropping the clutch, then pushing it back in almost instantly, so it doesnt stall. You might just be able to unstick it.
ST Crew #1

Current Mods: Silverstars, iPad radio/navigation, center muffler delete, Hella 700FF driving lights, brakes, Red/White footwell LED's, lock-switch lights, Tigger doll from GF
Old 05-28-2006, 10:04 PM   #4
hahmeta
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

matthewstetz i don't use the e-brake all the time. and in hindsight i should have been. that might have prevented any rusting on the wires etc.
it looks like i'm going to have to wait until tuesday when the dealers are open.

i live in champaign but i commute to chicago quite often.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:12 PM   #5
hahmeta
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

it may be worth a shot. this brings up another question. assuming e-brake did unstick, should i still take the car to a dealer for brake check-up?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
This happened to me before in the winter. I rocked it out by going forward then reverse, like getting out of snow. If you have tools, could pull the wheel and disengage the parking brake.

Yeah, tow it to a dealer if you have a warranty. I wasn't so lucky and drove home with a dragging rear brake and had to fix it in the damn freezing ass cold. Good Luck dude.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
BornAgainFordOwner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9408
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZX3 PZEV 5Sp.

FF Reputation: 7 BornAgainFordOwner Good Standing Member
On my '04, the parking brake cables are coated with plastic, at least as much as is visible by the rear drums. If that's the case with yours, the shoes may just be stuck against the drums in which case trying to back up may break it free.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
guywiththeford
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31369
What I Drive: Focus 2001 Blue 5-Speed

FF Reputation: 1 guywiththeford Good Standing Member
this happened to a buudy of mines civic which was sitting for two years, all we did was jacked it up, took off the wheel, sprayed some wd40 inbetween the drum crack and then he took a bar, put it between the lugs and started to break it free, eventually it turned and we put the wheel back on, jsut got jammed with rust but little elbow grease can break it free.
Black Diamond TB, Mangnaflow Exhaust, UDP 25%, Intake, RPM Cluster, Leather Seats, Pioneer HU, Polkaudio Speakers, Armrest, Fog Lights, Euro Grill, SVT Grill, Front Strut Bar, Alloy Wheels, Windshield Wiper Switch.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:28 PM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have a better idea, and I'm surprised nobody has suggested it. Chock the front wheels to insure that the car won't move. Release the emergency brake. Loosen the locked wheel's lug nuts. Jack the car and remove the wheel. Beat the crap out of the drum with a hammer- avoiding the back plate, studs, and weights (drums are balanced). Hitting it on either side facing front or rear of the car should do the trick. You can also whack on the front of the drum some, but avoid those weights and studs. Check to see if it rotates. Once again be sure NOT to hit the drum back plate with the hammer.

I wouldn't suggest WD-40 for something you want to drive every day that you're not going to be replacing the drums on soon. It's great for some things, but in this situation it would cause the shoes to wear out much quicker (loosens the braking compound) as well as temporarily interfere's with braking (it will burn off eventually).

Like Micheal Jackson said, just beat it. Even if it doesn't free it up completely, it might loosen it enough to allow you to break it loose by driving it.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #10
hahmeta
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

guys thanks for the ideas. in the end beating the hell out of the drums worked. i can't believe rust would luck the wheel so bad. anyways it was an interesting experience

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->